View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #12
geodeticman.5

Default Re: What Should Gordon Be Writing About Today?

This is one of the most everwhelming threads I have ever read in here. On a trivial note, but one that rings similar to me in a much, much smaller way, is that I should be processing lyrics quizzers right now (a game thread in corfid that requires daily enjoyable processing for those not familiar with it), and I feel guilty for spending the over an hour in here reading this post. There is, perhaps a message in that - for me alone.

On a much grander scale, should not Gordon , as so many above have suggested, do whatever his last years bring him comfort, enjoyment, and inner peace, and not what he thinks he should be doing, per his fans wishes ? He knows he owes, in part, his professional success to his fans - and certainly to his own talent, but wherein lies the dividing line that guides him as to his no-doubt multi-vectored tugs toward a multitude of 'what he should be doing' lines of thought. I'll not preach to the choir, - I know all of you folks know this and much more than I, but I can't help but add my two-bits, as this has occurred to me.

I must agree with our jj, jim, above, on both counts - Thank you, Yuri, for posting this, and also, as jj said wisely, as Mr. Lightfoot himself has said that he wishes to spend his time with family, and (reportedly) he is done with topical songs. That does not mean , as jj I am sure would agree, and I believe did say, that it is still fun to engage in and thought -provoking to ponder what should, no, - would we want him to write about - so different...as to: what in this world of immediacy around us in North America warrants the immense musical chronicling we know Lighfoot is uniquely capable of in his way, and so legendary in doing.... and of the world ?

Many above, including Char commented on notably war in Irag right now as a strong candidate for chronicling, A Rich man's war at the expense of young men's lives ? Topical, but what magficent and tragic fodder to chronicle for what appears to be an enigma that seemingly no-one can figure out right now, all things considered.

It would seem we almost look to Gordon as an Oracle in our near-reverance as a 'tell it like it is, Gordon ! - love for him. As an artist and as a person who can 'tell the story brilliantly in melody and word', but cannot solve these problems, only chronicle them, as I know many of you have said as well. Do we look to him for more than that ? Do we look to him as an Oracle, a sort of moral compass and temporal lexicon in his words of song ? Those are heavy chains to perhaps unintentionally weigh him down with again.

He has spent over 300 songs seemingly casting, I believe, different chains of origin off of himself in such a recurring, prolific metaphor (chains)he uses, along with ghosts, and all his familiar themes. However I sincerely doubt a born artist and genius of that calibre can rest idly in his inner ticking metronome of melody, almost certainly some tunes will come to him; perhaps as he sits with a young one on his lap, another 'Fine as Fine Can Be' will come to him, who knows. It does seem clear his family priorities are not only clearly stated, but are admirable. Can you keep a good man down ? We will see. But is family time keeping a good man down in his life's 'work' and profession ? I think not. Rest, if you wish, our old friend, Gordon. It is your due.

For of all of who subscribe to the common connotation of 'professional' - which Gordon cerrainly is a consummate example of, it is interesting to note that, per my understanding and having been told by unquestionably 'professionals - clergy, University Professors, etc, the original former connotation as well in the post-WWII years of a professional was one who engaged literally in professing - standing at a podium or diaz, and 'professing'/preaching/and teaching of a professor, a Minister, and included in the fold originally I am told were Doctors and lawyers. Now the connotation per most Human Resources (Personnel) departments as a de facto definition is someone who is required to have a certain amount of education - typically batchelor's degree or higher - to be able to engage in a 'learned' profession.

A much broader definition that now would include hundreds of avocations, to be sure. But perhaps among the noblest of all would be the inspiring, thought provoking, and picture-painting Troubadour such as Gordon, as no one else that I can picture quite equal to. Certainly he falls within the original terms of the rather narrow scope of old; of whom would be called Professional - Gordon certainly seems to exemplify to me that which we hold dear in all generations of connotation of professional. Gordon Lightfoot - the consummate professional, who indeed professes, his diaz being the guitar and microphone.

And yet why I mention this is that Gordon is in virtually all our minds a consummate professional. Former professionals by the old connotation was also one looked to for guidance and direction, certainly expertise. In his own way - Gordon has certainly done that. Did he mean to ? I would propose not, as he has so often said he has meant to be a painter moving through the underground, a chronicler of the world around us, not one to solve or propose change, except perhaps notably in spirit - to infuse us with the spirit of, and state of being of one who is full of hope, and promise for the future - as he so often has sung of both sides of. Does he mean to 'profess' to us ? I don't think so, I am not sure. I think not. I would submit those are heavy chains he has spent a lifetime casting off for other reasons as I mentioned.

I have the impression, as much as it saddens me, too..... that he has chosen to step over the rubicon line of perhaps, for all the right reasons, of no return....he has committed to family, and still some very enjoyable enrichment touring for him in his twilight years, and we all I know are respectful of that. He certainly has earned it, and by no means is he prematurely stepping away - not down, from his once all-consuming profession of endlessly writing songs, perfecting... was that his endless wire ?

If I could have my dream of what he would write more of - it would be his love of the wilderness.

Once again I say - Is family time keeping a good man down in his life's 'work' and profession ? I think not. Rest, if you wish, our old friend, Gordon. It is your due.

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 11-29-2008 at 06:28 PM.
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote