View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #119
Don Quixote

Default Re: It's on!! BBC 4 - Lightfoot 1972 show

This is a great find--many, many, many thanks.

A couple of questions/observations.

Are you sure this is from 1972, not 1971? I ask because there is no beard (DQ was released in '72), but especially because he mentions that SSOL had not been released yet (it was a '71 release), and the explanation about Me and Bobby McGee would have been superfluous by '72, given the huge success of the Janis Joplln hit.

It is wonderful to see Red Shea at his peak--never any effort, always the satisfied little smile of someone who knows that he's a master...Terry was wonderful, God rest his soul, but Red helped define the Lightfoot sound.

The amount of material from IYCRRM and SSOL really shows the contrast between the two albums. In spite of the fact that in SSOL GL started to stretch out a bit thematically and musically, IYCRRM is just ...x...(fill in the number) times the better album. The fact that SSOL comes between IYCRRM and DQ, two of the best ever, really makes it seem like a "placeholder"--it's OK, but really one of the weaker albums. And the fact that it's one of the lesser-commented albums on Corfid underlines my point. Feel free to start hurling the tomatoes..

Best to all,
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote