View Single Post
Old 05-14-2003, 02:33 PM   #21
MaryEllen

Now, I, for one, don't care about the motivation of the busdriver who first posted this topic, because it has evoked some interesting responses!

Brink, I think you have the same problem with "Don Q" that I sometimes have (or I should say HAD) with Gord's songs if the melody is very simple and the lyrics are, shall we say, dense. I noticed that often the ones I took a bit of time getting used to (and to get used to a Gord song is to get close to it) had that characteristic.

Also, I had trouble at first if the song reminded me of some other artist. For example, I didn't care for "Minstrel of the Dawn" (thought it too saccharine--like Donovan); "Circle of Steel" (thought it couldn't hold a candle to Elvis's cover of Mac Davis's "In the Ghetto"); or--and this astonishes me now--"Seven Island Suite" (lotsa words, lotsa strumming--a la Van Morrison of that era--I'm a fan of Van's and couldn't give "7IS" its proper due until I got past that). But all three of them grew on me.

And there are Gord fans who simply can't "get next to" the early stuff (too folky) or the late stuff (because of the difference in his voice).

But ALL of Gord's music rewards the persistent listener.

[This message has been edited by MaryEllen (edited May 14, 2003).]
MaryEllen is offline   Reply With Quote