View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 08:51 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: 'Early Morning Rain' -- The Legend of Gordon Lightfoot

thanks for posting.
I read the articles in February and just forgot about posting about it..

https://www.orangeville.com/whatson-...k-and-success/

On Valentine’s Day, Theatre Orangeville will be opening a show about one of Canada’s musical legends – Gordon Lightfoot.

The local entertainment group will be telling the life story of Lightfoot, an 81-year-old singer-songwriter whose name is synonymous with Canadian culture.

“His songs express his love of Canada,” said Leisa Way, creator of "Early Morning Rain," which tells the story of Gordon Lightfoot. “The lyrics in his songs are stunningly beautiful.”

She says of all the shows she has created about famous musicians – Dolly Parton, the Beatles and other rock legends – this one is the most difficult.

The technical skill in both his music and lyrics has sent the crew on an adventure of discovery.

“I’m working with the best on this show,” said Way, who is partnering with Bruce Lee, a former CBC producer who now lives in Mulmur.

The show tells the story of Lightfoot’s long road to stardom, and how the record label that he worked with used his writing for Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings.

Lightfoot finally got his big break with the song "If You Could Read My Mind."

The show interlaces the backstory of his most famous songs with energetic renditions of Lightfoot’s hits.

Way delves into Lightfoot’s marriages and how his writing habits would affect his love life.

“Mainly his marriages didn’t work because he was touring all the time,” said Way. “The isolation is how he wrote … it is not good for a marriage.”

In order to research Lightfoot’s life, Way pored over countless interviews and articles.

“He’s so brutally honest about his own work,” said Way. “Most people with his talent would have the ego of an 18-wheeler truck.”

After suffering from Bell's Palsey, having a stroke and undergoing a tracheotomy, Lightfoot still performs.

“There’s so many qualities about this man that I admire,” she said.

The opening night of the show is Feb. 14 at 8 p.m.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote