Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   To Walls - and this very nice room. :) (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=14386)

george duglas 02-22-2006 01:19 AM

Walls,
Friend, I am reminded of how important it is to not lose patience. I am sorry I added in the wrong reply response arenas i think, individual responses versus general postings ( John did indeed ask technical questions and went happily in depth on the 3 member questions on the origin of my geodeticman name with a few others - borderstone , iron, i believe, ) and I was simply , with trepidation, answering these tech Q's. I came into this room to talk Lightfoot, repect others views, and air mine as politely as possible , and will continue, folks allowing. I have no intention of technobabbling on any more things unless I am asked in earnest such as on my name, and I will attempt to keep it in private postings as appropriate. When I asked a fewtimes for a little slack as a brand new member of this room, and mis-posted replies to my own general postings ( LOL ) and such I am reminded of how far I have come , and have to go, on recovering from brain injury and far more than you'd ever care to hear. I'm learning how to type again, and re-map mental pathways. One kind soul in this room spoke of knowing EXACTLY what I was going through, bless her heart. But I will not let this subject preceed me. Rather, I will learn from reasonable responses with constructive criticism welcome. Senior members of the room by tradition have the right to set the tone, and I will consider you one Walls, yes ? Your response, in equal candor, smacks of absolutism, and hovers between a deep appreciation for Gord's music, which I believe we all share, and a mildly acid tongue on the PH scale. If in error (we all are sometimes...), I will error on respecting what you said for its salient elements, and simply let what troubles you to excess roll off 'o the back. I will truly keep the tech talk to proper arenas as I learn how to use them (and a pc after 5 years) but make no mistake my friend it has not been BS. The references I made in response to geodetic versus geodesic were textbook and from among other source texts one I have co-authored via Ann Arbor press. Lets leave it at that and get back to talking Gord's music ! Walls I am thick-skinned enought to listen with care to your sincere thoughts I could not agree more with on GL's frontrunner championing of such important societal issues as you raise. You are very right. Please do not consider the truisms or the altruistic approach you speak of GL'S music in as foreign concepts to others (or me) , please remember to serious fans of his work many of these thoughts are tantamount to truisms ( he cares deeply for the environment, etc.) which I go into at times too. But (Walls) when I am trying to get to know you kind folks, we shouldn't criticize one another so quickly in a friendly forum, especially concurrently with espousing rigid points of view on exactly what GL's life work values are as an absolute. Only the painter knows what they were thinking when they paint, and we are left to appreciate and speculate, not dictate on Walls . But I truly believe you meant well and simply didn't understand my poorly-placed individual responses meant to match the tone of the respective questions. I agree as well Walls that I blathered on a bit much in some spots, and do not intend to do this more. I apologize. Sometimes I think I fear what I may not remember from my education, and career of 23 years thus far in mapping science supporting my family, since the head injury and climbing accident. These things are best said just once. Shirley Hoggard will likely recall what happened to me which I won't trouble you with, but it scared the sh** out of me when I did not know my name.
This I raise only so you will not judge me too harshly as I make mistakes and re-learn so much. But, isn't tolerance of a new member's easing into a room full of hopeful (and some old friends!) new friends an area to display grace and good taste in, Walls, when we might in fact inadvertantly come dangerously close to the very essence of prejudice as you so correctly cited as one of Gord's important lifelong precepts he valiently fought against in his music ? i.e please do not pre-judge me because I answered one in particular tech question about my handle. I am sure you and I over time will find each other very enjoyable to chat with, and one evening's categorical dismissal of me as a new member mis-posting as I re-learn many things should qualify as cause for you to have had it with me ? I defer to why we are all talking in here - GL's music, and offer my handshake and tolerance of your rather harsh response, and respect you for your convictions about his music. - I admire and share many of them you spoke of. Thanks Walls, and sorry again, friends ? - geodeticman (Steve)
p.s. *note to all - sorry for the response better placed out of the general forum, I am reminding myself of this as I type. In general, too, my postings are much shorter (grin). sorry to trouble you all with this. I will look forward to much more succinct and happy postings to all, you've all been very kind helping me since I logged in a day or 2 ago. old friends so many ! and new to make.
"..remember to pity the stranger who stands at the gate" and "be knwon as a man who will always be candid on questions that do not relate" - hope I am remembering those correctly ! peace to all , Lightheads rule !

geodeticman 02-22-2006 01:19 AM

Walls,
Friend, I am reminded of how important it is to not lose patience. I am sorry I added in the wrong reply response arenas i think, individual responses versus general postings ( John did indeed ask technical questions and went happily in depth on the 3 member questions on the origin of my geodeticman name with a few others - borderstone , iron, i believe, ) and I was simply , with trepidation, answering these tech Q's. I came into this room to talk Lightfoot, repect others views, and air mine as politely as possible , and will continue, folks allowing. I have no intention of technobabbling on any more things unless I am asked in earnest such as on my name, and I will attempt to keep it in private postings as appropriate. When I asked a fewtimes for a little slack as a brand new member of this room, and mis-posted replies to my own general postings ( LOL ) and such I am reminded of how far I have come , and have to go, on recovering from brain injury and far more than you'd ever care to hear. I'm learning how to type again, and re-map mental pathways. One kind soul in this room spoke of knowing EXACTLY what I was going through, bless her heart. But I will not let this subject preceed me. Rather, I will learn from reasonable responses with constructive criticism welcome. Senior members of the room by tradition have the right to set the tone, and I will consider you one Walls, yes ? Your response, in equal candor, smacks of absolutism, and hovers between a deep appreciation for Gord's music, which I believe we all share, and a mildly acid tongue on the PH scale. If in error (we all are sometimes...), I will error on respecting what you said for its salient elements, and simply let what troubles you to excess roll off 'o the back. I will truly keep the tech talk to proper arenas as I learn how to use them (and a pc after 5 years) but make no mistake my friend it has not been BS. The references I made in response to geodetic versus geodesic were textbook and from among other source texts one I have co-authored via Ann Arbor press. Lets leave it at that and get back to talking Gord's music ! Walls I am thick-skinned enought to listen with care to your sincere thoughts I could not agree more with on GL's frontrunner championing of such important societal issues as you raise. You are very right. Please do not consider the truisms or the altruistic approach you speak of GL'S music in as foreign concepts to others (or me) , please remember to serious fans of his work many of these thoughts are tantamount to truisms ( he cares deeply for the environment, etc.) which I go into at times too. But (Walls) when I am trying to get to know you kind folks, we shouldn't criticize one another so quickly in a friendly forum, especially concurrently with espousing rigid points of view on exactly what GL's life work values are as an absolute. Only the painter knows what they were thinking when they paint, and we are left to appreciate and speculate, not dictate on Walls . But I truly believe you meant well and simply didn't understand my poorly-placed individual responses meant to match the tone of the respective questions. I agree as well Walls that I blathered on a bit much in some spots, and do not intend to do this more. I apologize. Sometimes I think I fear what I may not remember from my education, and career of 23 years thus far in mapping science supporting my family, since the head injury and climbing accident. These things are best said just once. Shirley Hoggard will likely recall what happened to me which I won't trouble you with, but it scared the sh** out of me when I did not know my name.
This I raise only so you will not judge me too harshly as I make mistakes and re-learn so much. But, isn't tolerance of a new member's easing into a room full of hopeful (and some old friends!) new friends an area to display grace and good taste in, Walls, when we might in fact inadvertantly come dangerously close to the very essence of prejudice as you so correctly cited as one of Gord's important lifelong precepts he valiently fought against in his music ? i.e please do not pre-judge me because I answered one in particular tech question about my handle. I am sure you and I over time will find each other very enjoyable to chat with, and one evening's categorical dismissal of me as a new member mis-posting as I re-learn many things should qualify as cause for you to have had it with me ? I defer to why we are all talking in here - GL's music, and offer my handshake and tolerance of your rather harsh response, and respect you for your convictions about his music. - I admire and share many of them you spoke of. Thanks Walls, and sorry again, friends ? - geodeticman (Steve)
p.s. *note to all - sorry for the response better placed out of the general forum, I am reminding myself of this as I type. In general, too, my postings are much shorter (grin). sorry to trouble you all with this. I will look forward to much more succinct and happy postings to all, you've all been very kind helping me since I logged in a day or 2 ago. old friends so many ! and new to make.
"..remember to pity the stranger who stands at the gate" and "be knwon as a man who will always be candid on questions that do not relate" - hope I am remembering those correctly ! peace to all , Lightheads rule !

Cathy 02-22-2006 08:52 AM

So, all that bein' said, let me ask you a simple question (and maybe you've already answered this and it's stuck somewhere in the short term memory part of my brain), DO YOU PLAY GUITAR AND SING?

SilverHeels 02-22-2006 10:55 AM

Geo-Man, unless I am being intrusive, I would really like to know what happened to you - providing you want to discuss it. This forum has listened to a wealth of scarey stories and a few near-death ones too. As mentioned in another post, I like to think of all Lightheads as 'Rainy Day People'. We are always here for each other.
That now includes you, buddy. :)