Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   Small Talk (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ed Mullen has passed away (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=28942)

Melissa 12-09-2019 02:16 PM

Ed Mullen has passed away

For those of you who have been around this group for many years, I'm sure you remember one of our most famous and talented Lightheads, Ed Mullen. Ed and his wife were originally from the Northeast but had been living in the Atlanta, GA area for around 20 years.

In August, Ed was diagnosed with lung cancer, which had spread widely and was not curable. Ed has been at home for the past 4 months, under Hospice care. My husband and I visited them in Sept., and it was very painful to know we would not see him again.

Ed was a very talented musician with a great voice and lots of wonderful guitars, which he played so well. Ed was a member of the "original" Lightfoot Tribute Band, which played concerts at Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs, NY in 2002 and 2003. Ed was a part of a small group of us who got together many times over the years to play music, tell tall tales and just have wonderful times. Ed and Derek Kidd, also a member of the original Lightfoot Tribute Band, were very close and sang and played together many times - here at our home in Austin and in lots of other locations around the country and in Toronto during several Massey Hall gatherings. Ed wrote a beautiful song about Gordon and his thoughts about Gordon's music and its effects on Ed's life and musical career. It started out as a poem and then Matt Carl, also a very talented musician and member of the LTB, put it to music. Their song, "Courses" is a tribute to what Gordon's music means to so many of us. Ed loved Gordon's music, and he loved all the Lightheads he got to meet and know because of that music.

Ed is survived by his wife, Sharman, to whom he was married for over 46 years.

Please join me in a moment of reflection and tribute to a great guy who will be terribly missed.

Melissa

T.G. 12-09-2019 03:07 PM

Re: Ed Mullen has passed away

My condolences to the Mullen family. Perhaps that song "Courses" could be posted if there is a recorded version of it.

Suzi 12-09-2019 04:11 PM

Only e-mailed Ed a few times. But felt he was a friend.
Best to Sharman.
And, as I just lost my husband a few months ago, I can say that it won't be easy.

Melissa 12-09-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G. (Post 192599)
My condolences to the Mullen family. Perhaps that song "Courses" could be posted if there is a recorded version of it.

The song is posted on this page on Ed's website, about halfway down the page.

https://edmullen.net/music.php

lighthead2toe 12-09-2019 05:50 PM

So sad to hear this very upsetting news.

It was Ed Mullen who responded when I made my original request to become part of the Lightfoot Family on the Newsgroup back in the day and we quickly became friends, eventually meeting each other in Toronto at one of the Massey events.
Ed came back to perform with us at McVeigh's pub jam as well.
His very fine version of "Same Old Loverman" is on the second Tribute CD which is noted on Wayne Francis' website.
Ed also formed a group called "Guitars Not Guns" in response to the gun violence we see so much of these days.
He was a great guy and I'll miss him dearly.
My condolences to Ed's family.

charlene 12-09-2019 08:05 PM

Sharman was a Canadian I think..from Montreal??
I've been listening to those two fabulous nights on mp3 at his site. The fundraisers in Saratoga..so much fun!!

Cathy 12-09-2019 08:09 PM

So sorry to hear about Ed passing away. What a shock! He was only a few years older than me, and an accomplished guitarist and singer. Sharman, if you are reading this, please know that I will be thinking about you. I know how hard it is to lose a loved one. Mom passed away on Sept. 30th. Maybe they are up there making beautiful music. You have my condolences.

BILLW 12-09-2019 11:28 PM

Very sorry to hear this sad news. My condolences to all his family and friends. Peace be with you. :(

paskatefan 12-10-2019 06:09 AM

So sorry to hear this news. Condolences to Sharman & family & friends. May his memory be for a blessing.

Gail

Steve 12-10-2019 10:06 PM

Melissa, I just logged in tonight for the 1st time in months to learn that Ed had just died. I'm so sorry. I love listening to the recordings he made at your house years ago. Great memories!
I don't remember if I had told you that Fran died 3 years ago in Plano and I moved to Fort Collins, CO a year ago. My brother and family now live here too.
Thanks for posting.

charlene 12-13-2019 01:05 PM

NOTICE: https://www.darbyfuneralhome.com/obi...mund-Mullen-3/

Steve 12-16-2019 08:12 PM

Thanks Char, I was thinking it was Edward. But, it's Edmond, like Gord's song! Only spelled different.