banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-14-2004, 11:19 AM   #1
silenceandsound86

I don't mean lyrics that you love-there are too many of those. I mean lyrics which have meant something special to you, or have helped you through a tough time-inspired you. I have just gotten divorced. Not a particularly bad or nasty divorce, but a divorce all the same. I ca't tell you how much I am lifted by the lyrics of Shellfish:

...You must not be downhearted o'er things you've left undone. You've got faith to tell you all is well and you know you best not stop, there's still a ways to go.
...You will not be outsmarted by the song you left unsung. You've got faith to make your world take flight and there's still a ways to go, 'bout a thousand miles or so.

Just hearing them gives me strength and positive energy, a feeling that everything happens for a reason, and everything will be all right.
Anyone else have that sort of connection with a particular song?
silenceandsound86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:19 AM   #2
Rona

I don't mean lyrics that you love-there are too many of those. I mean lyrics which have meant something special to you, or have helped you through a tough time-inspired you. I have just gotten divorced. Not a particularly bad or nasty divorce, but a divorce all the same. I ca't tell you how much I am lifted by the lyrics of Shellfish:

...You must not be downhearted o'er things you've left undone. You've got faith to tell you all is well and you know you best not stop, there's still a ways to go.
...You will not be outsmarted by the song you left unsung. You've got faith to make your world take flight and there's still a ways to go, 'bout a thousand miles or so.

Just hearing them gives me strength and positive energy, a feeling that everything happens for a reason, and everything will be all right.
Anyone else have that sort of connection with a particular song?
Rona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 12:27 PM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Not exactly uplifting but having been listening to the fantastic Sunday Concert CD quite a bit recently I am always struck by these words fromm a firm favo(u)rite of mine "Apology":-
I could not avoid the feeling
Soon I was reeling on my feet
I made a grab at anything, the earth was gone
And I was on a vicious circle then
why??
Well All Right it still scares me to think of this:-
the morning after the day after I had my mild stroke way back in January 2000
I was in my kitchen when the taxi driver who was about to take me to hospital rang the doorbell then my left (affected) leg suddenly gave way and I was really reeling on my feet and had to grab at anything I could.I had been taking a plate out of a wall-hung cupboard so the only thing I could see was the open door. Unfortunately the walls of my house were heavily covered in a very sandy mixture which always caused problems getting wall fixings to bite,and sure enough the cupboard came off the wall and as it leaned out over me as I spun round and fell to the floor all the glassware on the top shelf came crashing down on me as I lay helpless in its path.Luckily nothing hit me but I lost a few well loved pieces and as I had already left the door open the driver came in to help me up. A truly vicious circle

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 12:27 PM   #4
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Not exactly uplifting but having been listening to the fantastic Sunday Concert CD quite a bit recently I am always struck by these words fromm a firm favo(u)rite of mine "Apology":-
I could not avoid the feeling
Soon I was reeling on my feet
I made a grab at anything, the earth was gone
And I was on a vicious circle then
why??
Well All Right it still scares me to think of this:-
the morning after the day after I had my mild stroke way back in January 2000
I was in my kitchen when the taxi driver who was about to take me to hospital rang the doorbell then my left (affected) leg suddenly gave way and I was really reeling on my feet and had to grab at anything I could.I had been taking a plate out of a wall-hung cupboard so the only thing I could see was the open door. Unfortunately the walls of my house were heavily covered in a very sandy mixture which always caused problems getting wall fixings to bite,and sure enough the cupboard came off the wall and as it leaned out over me as I spun round and fell to the floor all the glassware on the top shelf came crashing down on me as I lay helpless in its path.Luckily nothing hit me but I lost a few well loved pieces and as I had already left the door open the driver came in to help me up. A truly vicious circle

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 01:05 AM   #5
Borderstone

If you have seen me tell this story before,skip it,you'll be bored. Otherwise...

Rona,in past posts I've mentioned that,"The Pony Man" is a song that the lyrics can touch me deeply. It reminds me of being a kid when we lived in Pennsylvania. That's not the only song of Gordon's that reaches too me.
Any of the really deep heartfelt love songs he's recorded like,(most recently)"My Love For You","Your Love's Return","Nous Vivons Ensamble" or "Beautiful".

Then there's lyrics that are touching without being about love like,"If Children Had Wings","Circle Of Steel",Too Late For Prayin'" and "Rainbow Trout".

If I need a laugh,the lyrics too,"The Auctioneer" (the high speed counting) cracks me up everytime! Also,"Canary Yellow Canoe","The Gypsy" (because it's weird)! Then of course there's those goofy little lyrics like "That's What socks are for" or "I've been wearing polka dot underwear" and "anywhere I stub my toe!"

If sad and I feel like staying that way,I choose the sad lyrics of Changes,Peaceful Waters,Long River,A Minor Ballad,Last Time I Saw Her etc.

They all mean something special to me at different times but the lyrics to the love songs have meant the most.Except for the funny one's,I really can't sit here and write them all out for that would take too long! We know GL well enough to get a pretty good idea. Been me,later!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 06:41 PM   #6
LSH

First of all I just want to say Iīm sorry about the divorce and I understand if youīre having a hard time right now. Met a girl 3 years ago, guess she was too young, only 15 years old and I was 22 at that time. She used to call me up every day wanting to meet me. We soon became a couple and none of us had any problem with the difference between our ages, exept maybe her parents of course. That didnīt bother us very much so we kept seeing each other. And have been almost every day in the past 3 years.But recently her phone rang, she talked for a while and the told me she had to go because a guy was picking her up at the gas station. Naturally I fell into tears but it didnīt seem to bother her at all. After this happened I tried to contact her. In the beginning she just hang up the phone and it made me feel even worse. I have talked to her several times over the phone since then but she havenīt still been able to tell me why she did what she did. And since I know that the boy she met is still living with his girlfriend itīs even more confusing. The 14th of July was my birthday and the same day I met her. She was my best birthday present ever and I still love her despite the things she have done. Maybe itīs an age thing? Anyhow, Gord has always been the number one artist for me, helping me in hard times... This song sems to fit in right now.

For My Love Johanna (Jag Älskar Dej)

Looking At The Rain

Looking at the rain, feeling the pain
Of love lost running through, my brain
Looking at the wind, watching it spin
The leaves along the street, you win

Waiting for a line to fall Telling you it's all a big mistake

Looking at a face, so out of place
Inside that picture frame, of lace
Looking at the wall, wishing you'd call
And tell me you're okay, that's all

Wishing this was all a dream
And I'd find you sleeping when I wake

Looking at the trees, so ill at ease
From sleep that will not come, that's me
Looking at the dawn, knowing it's wrong
Still thinking of your love, that's gone

Waiting for a line to fall
Telling you it's all a big mistake
But the words won't come,I know I'd feel the same
Looking at the rain

LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 06:41 PM   #7
The Pony Man

First of all I just want to say Iīm sorry about the divorce and I understand if youīre having a hard time right now. Met a girl 3 years ago, guess she was too young, only 15 years old and I was 22 at that time. She used to call me up every day wanting to meet me. We soon became a couple and none of us had any problem with the difference between our ages, exept maybe her parents of course. That didnīt bother us very much so we kept seeing each other. And have been almost every day in the past 3 years.But recently her phone rang, she talked for a while and the told me she had to go because a guy was picking her up at the gas station. Naturally I fell into tears but it didnīt seem to bother her at all. After this happened I tried to contact her. In the beginning she just hang up the phone and it made me feel even worse. I have talked to her several times over the phone since then but she havenīt still been able to tell me why she did what she did. And since I know that the boy she met is still living with his girlfriend itīs even more confusing. The 14th of July was my birthday and the same day I met her. She was my best birthday present ever and I still love her despite the things she have done. Maybe itīs an age thing? Anyhow, Gord has always been the number one artist for me, helping me in hard times... This song sems to fit in right now.

For My Love Johanna (Jag Älskar Dej)

Looking At The Rain

Waiting for a line to fall Telling you it's all a big mistake

Looking at a face, so out of place
Inside that picture frame, of lace
Looking at the wall, wishing you'd call
And tell me you're okay, that's all

Looking at the trees, so ill at ease
From sleep that will not come, that's me
Looking at the dawn, knowing it's wrong
Still thinking of your love, that's gone

Waiting for a line to fall
Telling you it's all a big mistake
But the words won't come,I know I'd feel the same
Looking at the rain

The Pony Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 11:10 PM   #8
LSH

Hi Rona,
I think I'll have to go with very first time I heard anything from GL. I had a rough, very rough childhood,directly attributable to my father. I was about ten and a radio was playing somewhere in the house as I was heading out the front door, when suddenly these words caught me and held me in place with a flash of understanding that I wasn't alone in the world, that other people had similiar feelings. The line is from IYCRMM, I knew nothing of romantic love, but I knew exactly what GL meant when he sang, "..in a castle dark or a fortress strong with chains upon my feet. And I will never be set free, as long as I'm a ghost you can't see.."
stopped me dead in my tracks. I felt like someone had looked right inside of me and seen where I was in the place I hid myself...and in my child's mind, I wasn't alone in the way I felt anymore.
I was an adult before I heard Too Late for Praying, but I was one of the kids he was singing about..no doubt.

ps. John, no wonder the telling scares you. Scared me just hearing it. I hope you are in good health now. <hug>
Old 07-18-2004, 03:07 AM   #9
SilverHeels

quote:
ps. John, no wonder the telling scares you. Scared me just hearing it. I hope you are in good health now. <hug>[/B]

Laurel,
trust me- he is robust! And before you know it, our John will be bullying you to post pictures at Corfid! He is a tyrant.
but we love him.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 02:35 AM   #10
SilverHeels

quote:Originally posted by Rona:
I don't mean lyrics that you love-there are too many of those. I mean lyrics which have meant something special to you, Anyone else have that sort of connection with a particular song?

Rona,
'I'm Not supposed to care'. This one, to this day, brings tears to my eyes, reminding me of that time when I was 'not s'posed to care'.

SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:13 PM   #11
silenceandsound86

LSH,

Your post brought tears to my eyes. I don't know if people ever truly get over horrible childhoods, as it is their own history, but I hope you have been able to find peace and happiness as you have gotten older. It breaks my heart to know that children are hurt every day. It does help somehow, though, doesn't it, when you know that someone else feels that hurt also, and can share your sadness? No doubt GL himself would be surprised to hear that IYCRMM "spoke" to a scared, hurt child. There have been many comments in this forum about interpretations of his lyrics, but the bottom line is they are personal.

Old 07-19-2004, 12:13 PM   #12
Rona

LSH,

Your post brought tears to my eyes. I don't know if people ever truly get over horrible childhoods, as it is their own history, but I hope you have been able to find peace and happiness as you have gotten older. It breaks my heart to know that children are hurt every day. It does help somehow, though, doesn't it, when you know that someone else feels that hurt also, and can share your sadness? No doubt GL himself would be surprised to hear that IYCRMM "spoke" to a scared, hurt child. There have been many comments in this forum about interpretations of his lyrics, but the bottom line is they are personal.

Old 07-19-2004, 06:47 PM   #13
LSH

No worries, Rona. Didn't mean to make you cry.
It's long ago and far away,and I've learned to take what I can from it and let the rest go. I turned into a fairly well balanced (except for this lightfoot thing I have), strong, content adult. I've found that I can handle a tremendous amount of stress and trauma before I pack it in emotionally. No one would choose to go through the things that many kids go through, but as grow up and on our own, we have choices about how to handle it.
Yes, I imagine Gord would be surprised. heh. I didn't hear that song again til I was in highschool, but I knew it instantly! and it doesn't bring back any memories of that time at all. It is what it is. People, some people, do get over terrible childhoods. God is good that way.
L
Old 07-20-2004, 02:40 PM   #14
silenceandsound86

L, I'm really happy to hear that. Good for you. And don't worry about that GL obsession-I hear all the best people suffer from it!

Old 07-20-2004, 02:40 PM   #15
Rona

L, I'm really happy to hear that. Good for you. And don't worry about that GL obsession-I hear all the best people suffer from it!