banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Default What kind of airplane does Gordon fly?

Does or did Gordon Lightfoot own an airplane to travel back and forth to concerts, etc., or did he just rent? Regardless, what kind of aircraft did he fly in?

I'd also like to let everyone know that I'm now in the process of learning how to fly. I'm going for my pilot's license, but it's a little slow going. I can only fly on the weekends, so I haven't had much of a chance to go up with my instructor. I've been up 3 times so far; the 1st time we went up, we basically just flew around, I was able to fly over my house, or anywhere I wanted to go. The instructor did the landing, but I was able to watch how he did it.

The 2nd time, we did some touch and go's. (Where you takeoff, circle the airport, and land, and take back off again, and repeat). That's some tough stuff, because I wasn't able to do it without the instructor making corrections every now and then. Although I was at the controls and all, he basically did most of the landings. We did 7 landings that day, and he says by the time I solo we'll have done around 40 or 50 landings. (I SURE HOPE I'm able to do it by then).

The 3rd time we went up, we were going to do some more touch and go's and then do some stalls, but it was too windy, so we pretty much just flew around again. (ANY flying is better than none at all). So far I have about 3 hours logged, but hopefully I'll start making some progress soon.

Just thought I'd let you all know. Well, happy Christmas and a merry new year! (Or something like that )
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: What kind of airplane does Gordon fly?

He rents a jet that seats about 12 or so and usually hires the same pilot/co-pilots.. don't know the specifics tho..

be careful up there!!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
Auburn Annie

I'm sure his manager handles all the transportation logistics; I seem to recall his mentioning leasing a plane for touring when he was discussing the business end of what he does in an article way back when. In the very early days they did a lot of their traveling by car. The equipment goes by truck, I think, with his regular people who have been setting it all up and breaking it down for him for years. After all these years they probably have it down to a science.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
charlene

It's a science for sure..Chuck, the long time stage manager makes it all look so smooth and easy tho.. they all have very high standards and expectations to live up to.
Oh yeah the boss probably expects nothing less than 100% of everyone involved with the Lightfoot experience as he expects nothing less than that of himself.
And pretty much guarantees a long term position with EMP..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
New 12 String Mike

Glad to hear you're going for your pilot's ticket.

I've had mine for over 10 years, but due to a bum leg, I can't pass the physical, so can't fly as PIC.

It is a very rewarding endeavor, one that will change your outlook on life and yourself forever. (You'll begin to understand The Weather Channel for one!) Enjoy it, cherish it.

Are you training in a Cessna, or a Piper?

Fly safe!
Old 12-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
New 12 String Mike

I've had mine for over 10 years, but due to a bum leg, I can't pass the physical, so can't fly as PIC.

It is a very rewarding endeavor, one that will change your outlook on life and yourself forever. (You'll begin to understand The Weather Channel for one!) Enjoy it, cherish it.

Fly safe!
Old 12-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by New 12 String Mike View Post

Fly safe!

Sorry to hear about that leg preventing you to pass the physical. Is there any hope of recovery?

Anyway, I'm training in a Cessna 172-N Skyhawk. (1979 model).

Old 12-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
He rents a jet that seats about 12 or so and usually hires the same pilot/co-pilots.. don't know the specifics tho..

be careful up there!!

Don't worry, I will.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

The following is roughly what I drafted out as a possible response to an earlier thread regarding then current concert reviews but never got around to posting.

In the bar at the Northampton MA Hotel back in September I could not help overhearing a conversation between two men near to me one was a Lightfoot fan there for that evening's concert the other introduced himself as the pilot of a hired business jet from a pool of,I think he said, 22 machines based inToronto and available for lease whenever their owners were not using them.He said he had just flown Gord and the band the half hour from Harvard (whilst Chuck and the equipment truck,the coachload of helpers and ourselves had endured the three hours trek along the Mass Turnpike).He also said that the jet was an Astrajet.As an aeroplane fan and one time planespotter I immediately thought of the tortuous history of that aeroplane and I had googled well. My detailed notes are now mislaid but from memory the story began in the early 1950's when a new company (Aero Commander) introduced a very neat twin piston engined/propellor business aircraft of the same name they later developed a smart looking jet powered version dubbed not surprisingly the Jet Commander (one of the very earliest busjets). The subsequent history of this aeroplane is complicated but goes something like this:
Aero Commander was firstly absorbed into the North American Rockwell conglomerate then sold on to Israel Aircraft Industries who not surprisingly shifted the entire operation to their factory in Israel and renamed it the Astrajet they later relaunched it as the Legacy before transferring sales and promotion back to the USA to Grumman who then added it to their existing Gulfstream product line as the models 100 and 200.As for the original Aero Commander it devolved into the Shrike Commander and the company employed a master demonstration pilot called Bob Hoover and I saw Bob's amazing display at one of the UK's Farnborough Air Displays. Fortunately several youtube videos exist of this remarkable display during which Bob stops both engines them nonchalently loops the loop and lands first on one wheel and then the other:-

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 12-26-2008 at 02:12 AM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:59 AM   #10
BendRick

If you want to try out flying on your computer get one of the Microsoft Flight Simulators. I have their 2004 version on my PC and it's a blast; also very difficult. Very educational, a learning curve, step by step. I lovethe easy Piper and am still training on the Cessnas. By the way there is a Cessna plant right here in Bend, Oregon, one of seven plants I think, and they laid off many people recently. Bummer.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #11
New 12 String Mike

Good ol' Skyhawk. Sweetest airplane there is.

It isn't likely I'll get full use of the leg back. I can walk OK, etc., but not safe to fly solo.

Keep letting us know your progress. Go get it!
Old 12-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #12
New 12 String Mike

It isn't likely I'll get full use of the leg back. I can walk OK, etc., but not safe to fly solo.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by New 12 String Mike View Post

It's possible to get a rating to fly Light Sport Aircraft, and you do not need a pilot's medical. Something to think about if you ever decide you'd like to fly solo.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
spammer

Old 01-26-2009, 10:02 PM   #15
JohnStinson

It's not this one.

I too, a Lightfoot fan am learning to fly...almost there...winter got in the way.. In Canada you have to pass a PSTAR to solo then a ground school test ( passed...barely) ...a bunch of flying around (stalls, navigating, instruments)..and then you go for your test..

I don't think the Gibson is going to fit ..or the bass player

The 2nd image is over lake simcoe...Well almost Lake Couchiching. A song to listen to a number of times to sink in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	First Solo since 1974.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	2483   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2581.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	2484  
JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #16
spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStinson View Post
It's not this one.

I too, a Lightfoot fan am learning to fly...almost there...winter got in the way.. In Canada you have to pass a PSTAR to solo then a ground school test ( passed...barely) ...a bunch of flying around (stalls, navigating, instruments)..and then you go for your test..

I don't think the Gibson is going to fit ..or the bass player

The 2nd image is over lake simcoe...Well almost Lake Couchiching. A song to listen to a number of times to sink in.
Looks like a Cessna 150 or 152. Another great, easy plane to fly (although not as much room as the Skyhawk, with only 2 seats).

I'm going to have to start studying for the written exam myself (wish me luck).
Old 02-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #17
spammer

Here is a picture of my house from the air.

And here's a picture of my hand at the controls. (The instructor was gracious enough to le t me take a few quick photos)

Old 02-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #18
podunklander

AWESOME photos!!! WOW -ya, your hands are looking pretty steady on those controls . Must have been quite an experience to actually fly over your house!! Pretty landscape! So yer a flatlander