banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2004, 09:07 PM   #1
Big Blue

Okay, I really did look through the thread and I didn't see this obvious topic, but I could've missed it. So forgive me if it's been well-covered. Many of you have mentioned in other threads, but I thought it would be nice to condense it into one thread.

Well, so the question of course is, what's your favorite 'Harmony' song and why?

Mine is River of Light. It almost makes me cry. The imagery he invokes is so powerful. 'Nice to be on a river at peace, like a junebug travellin'', makes me imagine the little brown beetle sitting stoicly atop a piece of driftwood, covered in moss, just cruising down the river. And although it sounds silly when broken down, the way it's conveyed in the song makes it so profound. It's just one of the many things that make this CD KICK ASS, but it's something that really struck me and stuck in my heart.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:17 PM   #2
brink

I really like the End of All Time. It seems like a true broken heart not knowing where to turn or what to do. Still loving the one that was lost. He sounds very forlorn, real life stuff. Something most of us can relate too.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:21 PM   #3
DMD3

This album better be as good as all of you say it is. If it's about love then I'm getting it myself. I just hope my parents don't find out I order stuff off half.com.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:06 PM   #4
Borderstone

Ooooooo! DMD3,I'm tellin'!!! DMD2! Mrs. DMD! Guess what?!! Anyhow,Big Blue,I've said it like four or five times in other threads and even on Amazon.com.....my fave is,"End Of All Time". I'll just leave it at that. Aurevoir!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:09 PM   #5
DMD3

This topic is a
Old 05-14-2004, 11:12 PM   #6
brink

You are getting to be quite the computer whiz DMD, that was cute.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 12:37 AM   #7
stationmaster

Never got a chance to listen to the album yet. I heard Inspiration Lady on the radio. It sounds great!
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 02:16 AM   #8
Doug Letcher

Inspiration Lady.
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 06:38 AM   #9
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I really like playing 'albums' all the way through but the ones I repeat are:

End Of All Time
Harmony
Couchiching

It's great having new stuff, no?

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 10:22 AM   #10
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

My three favorites:

End Of All Time
Clouds Of Loneliness (I love Bob's classical guitar solo in this one)
Sometimes I Wish.

On Friday morning, I woke up humming the tune to Shellfish. I find it's a song that grows on you after a few listens. And I was sitting front row center at Massey when it was recorded, so I guess it's there is a personal touch involved.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 12:20 PM   #11
SomewhereupinMichigan

Sue: You and I are on the same wavelength!

quote:Originally posted by ColoradoSue:
My all time faves on this one--in order of preference:

#9--Clouds of Lonliness
#4--No Mistake About It
#11--Sometimes I Wish
#5--End of all time

The first two deserve heavy rotation!!!

#4 is a great bluesy sounding tune...would do well on a blues show or a station w/ a jazz format maybe but I might be stretching it a bit.

[This message has been edited by ColoradoSue (edited May 14, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by SomewhereupinMichigan (edited May 15, 2004).]
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 12:21 PM   #12
jj

greetings, to all friends of Lightfoot

*clouds of loneliness
*shellfish
*end of all time

so self-pleasing (even if not for others within ear shot ) to noodle along with, although humbly & terribly:-/

you'd think & hope the tunes harmony & inspiration lady should appeal to the masses

i personally experienced a joyous (is that word, or only for use during the yuletide?) rush of adrenelin first time hearing the latter section of EOAT - as the production faded i recalled a very similar sensation so enjoyed when first hearing Dylan's 'series of dreams' ... not entirely or at all certain as to what triggered that flashback other than perhaps the happiness i felt for the artists... also only a few degrees of separation... lanois, grant, doidge, but probably just more coincidental, regardless, certainly quite a moment during first listening

congratulations to Gordon Lightfoot on this achievement

...thanks to heaven, not everything stays down when it's wounded
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 01:05 PM   #13
violet Blue Horse

I kind of wish they hadn't changed the name of No Mistake About It. It is one of those songs I love and don't like. It's right up there with Sundown. I love it because it is so well written and catchy and everyone knows women like that. Hell, I almost wound up related to one. I don't like it because, well, everyone knows women like that. But Like a Raptor would have been just such a cool title for it.

My all time faves on this one--in order of preference:

#9--Clouds of Lonliness
#4--No Mistake About It
#11--Sometimes I Wish
#5--End of all time

The first two deserve heavy rotation!!!

Old 05-15-2004, 09:32 PM   #14
Bright Side

Awesome CD...just got it today. What a thrill to have something new after all. Gord sounds great. My fave (so far) is River of Light because it brings back memories of so many extended river trips and he captures the feel of being on the river. Also like Couchiching, Couchiching...heck they're all fantastic. Congrats to Gord.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:06 PM   #15
dielby

I just had a chance to hear " Inspiration Lady " and am very pleasantly surprised to see something new from him. The voice is distictive and unchanged over the many years ( sorry ). Glad to hear you again and well done.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:35 AM   #16
Orillia

I really think the music in "Sometimes I Wish" is as unique as anything Gordon has ever written. This is the one I have played repeatedly. The others I like are(in order):
No Mistake About It, Clouds of Loneliness", and "Inspiration Lady". ("Couchiching" is about as useful as "Ring-neck Loon"!)This is an excellent album with terrific instrumentals!
Old 05-16-2004, 04:54 PM   #17
2Much2Lose

For me, Gord's music has always been somewhat of a comfort and guide through my own personal experiences -- the pain of breaking up, the senselessness of war, the beauty of our world, the importance of music's joy and revelation, and just having fun.

Now that I am on the wrong side of age 50, two songs on this album have that effect on me again -- Shellfish and River of Light. Shellfish, telling of the challenges of life after the primes of our careers, and River of Light as a comfort concerning being relaxed and accepting of our place in the mystical current of life, even as we are further "downstream."

There are a million love songs out there, and Gord has his share, but who else writes with such insight about finding the peace of acceptance in later life?

What wonderful observations, so beautifully expressed! So comforting and optimistic about the future!

I love the rest of the album too, but these two songs will always both haunt me and reassure me.

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by."
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 06:08 PM   #18
SomewhereupinMichigan

[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by SomewhereupinMichigan:
Sue: You and I are on the same wavelength!

Hey SUIM!

Looks like great minds are thinking alike!

OR...

Is it just the 'Cosmic Glue' working again?

hehehehe

Dunno 'bout that "glue" Sue, and your mind may be great but I've lost most of mine!

I woke up this morning with the melody of Clouds of Loneliness running through my head all day and that seems odd since I listened to the entire CD once through yesterday. So no particular reason that Clouds should be in my head today...except that it clearly is the favored tune of all.
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 06:42 PM   #19
seahawk11

Couchiching!!!

Awww...just kidding.

It's 'END OF ALL TIME'...by far and away his best song since 'Restless'...IMHO...
seahawk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 10:22 PM   #20
Bright Side

BTW...woke up at 4am today (not on purpose) so got up and set the new Harmony cd on random/repeat and listened for 4 hours. Decided to bake bread and while mesmerized by ..."she moves like a raptor"...knocked the bread machine and fixins onto the floor. What a mess--can't say I move anywhere near as graceful as a raptor. So happy to have this new fix of Gord just in time to help with some difficult times.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:28 AM   #21
Borderstone

What's wrong with,"Couchiching"? (Besides the fact that it's title makes me think of sitting on a rather unpleasant sofa?? )

Out of the 11 songs on the CD,I'd say it's my 10th favorite. 11th being,"Flyin' Blind". Just my opinion and taste folks,it's nothing personal. As we know,I like the whole CD and it really was a bit tough to make a popularity list in my head.

"Time",is tops of course followed by,"River" but 3 through 9,I'm still thinking! Mainly,I go by which one's have so far stuck in my head the most. I'll put the rest here later.
Been me,Aurevoir!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:10 PM   #22
Wes Steele

Don't laugh...

Heard GL say at a concert that he likes WEIRD songs..."If its weird, I LIKE IT!" He was talking about Sea of Tranquility...

Well, my favorite song so far on Harmony is "No Hotel" (weird)...Laughed when I read the words, and I just LOVE the melody. I have been traveling too much lately and I stayed at a "No Hotel" in upstate New York a few years ago.

I like the way he explains the song...arrive at 4 AM, etc... Just hit home.. Have done it more than a few times.

2nd Favorite is "Inspiration Lady"...this one SHOULD get airplay but in our very STUPID sellfish world, I doubt if it will happen. Doubt if any off this album will get airplay.

Wes
Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 09:07 PM   #23
searam

Clouds of Lonliness - another one of Gord's hauntingly beautiful works.
Inspiration Lady - a "hit" that is taking the music community by storm!
Sean
searam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 05:33 AM   #24
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by Wes Steele:
Don't laugh...

Heard GL say at a concert that he likes WEIRD songs..."If its weird, I LIKE IT!" He was talking about Sea of Tranquility...

Well, my favorite song so far on Harmony is "No Hotel" (weird)...Laughed when I read the words, and I just LOVE the melody. I have been traveling too much lately and I stayed at a "No Hotel" in upstate New York a few years ago.
<snip>

Wes

Ooh, Wes, where in Upstate New York? Strictly speaking I'm from Central New York, but having gone to college in Westchester County I got used to the idea that everything north of there (or maybe Sullivan County) was referred to by residents of the five boroughs and surrounding counties as "upstate." They generally meant along the Hudson, not the Canadian border.

Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:41 AM   #25
Wes Steele

Annie, should have said the Catskills. Round Top, New York to be exact, near Cairo. About 60 miles south of Albany.

My two older kids were with me and they laugh when they hear the song also because it reminds them of that "quaint" "NoHotel.
Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote