banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-21-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
sunshine

Default Saturday night in Northampton, MA

Either the sound is excellent at the Calvin Theater or Gordon's voice is getting stronger and clearer. He also appears to be in very good spirits, seeming surprised at the continuous enthusiastic responses of the audiences. One new development in the concert format is that Gordon is now introducing each band member individually in connection with specific songs that feature them. Both in Cambridge and Northampton, he introduced Mike before Shadows, saying that he is required to play that song in a key with several sharps and that he can play any song in any key with no problem. He introduced Barry after Sundown, saying that he can play the drums in hundreds of different tempos. He introduced Rick after Baby Step Back although I think that Rick is brilliant on The Watchman's Gone and Hangdog Hotel Room. He also said that Rick is the straw boss and the "navigator", meaning that he directs the group in the rented Town Cars from the airports to the venues. There are loads of opportunities to recognize Terry for his particular talents and often the audience does it spontaneously themselves, but Gordon mentioned him by name both evenings that I attended. One other interesting point. Gordon has mentioned on several occasions that he is following and enjoying the US election this year, that he finds it fascinating and exciting. Last night he suggested that it doesn't actually matter who wins, that we will all go on living our lives because that is all we can really do. Pretty philosophical, and realistic. Those are the highlights from the weekend. And the boys are off to Buffalo tomorrow.
________
bho hash oil

Last edited by sunshine; 01-26-2011 at 12:44 AM.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:01 AM   #2
Dream Street Rose

Default Re: Saturday night in Northampton, MA

Thank you Sunshine for posting this great review. I am really looking forward to October. I hope you had good seats. It does my heart good to know my friend is in good spirits and the Terry, Rick, Barry and Mike are getting to do things in a different way.

Mandoann, I just got my mom a ticket for Cerritos. She is so excited I can't believe it.

DSR
Old 09-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
Jesse Joe

Thanks for the update Sunshine. Sold out Podunklander !!! Very good to hear that, and nice pic w/ Bill Hall.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Moosedog

Thanks for the recaps on the concert! Awww, so good to see my pal Bill. And he's holding a glass of wine - imagine that. LOL

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
he suggested that it doesn't actually matter who wins, that we will all go on living our lives because that is all we can really do
that's usually my take but this go round I think it may matter, get out and vote

hey, great reviews, guys...nice pic too, pam is taller than i thought!...hey, you both look great and your shirts compliment each other very well
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
charlene

I think we here up in the north take that view - whatever happens with the U.S. election will happen and we gotta live with it and carry on..

Thanks for the recaps and reviews. Interesting that Gord is taking time to speak about the boys in the band..

Look at our Billyboy and Pam! great pic!
Hey Billyboy - Next picture of us together (Massey 2009) - I'm standing on a step too!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Dream Street Rose

Ok Pammy, now I am starting to miss you. I like the way you use words and from reading what you wrote I feel like I was there.

"Whatever changes/specifics, it is ultimately and ALL the result of and credit due to the phenomenal/exceptional talent, professionalism, experience, hard work, effort, diligence, passion, and all else put forth by Gordon, the orchestra, crew, staff, and venues for the benefit of all".

I think your words above say it all. They work so hard to give us the very best they can at each concert. We don't see most of what it takes to do each one of these concerts.

Thank you for posting.

DSR
Old 09-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
sunshine

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention earlier that may be of interest. Gordon said that they, meaning he and the band, have a "very good life", performing 60 dates or so per year, traveling North America, time off to spend with family and do other creative projects. He mentioned one project in particular by name which escapes me at the moment but I think it was a retrospective or a compilation or at least a contribution to the music of his era. Perhaps someone else who was in attendance can remember the exact name of the project. Anyway, one definitely gets the feeling that he is planning to continue touring, something I think we already know, but it is always good to have it confirmed and to see the 2009 schedule forthcoming.
________
ios games

Last edited by sunshine; 01-26-2011 at 12:44 AM.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:33 PM   #9
Don Quixote

Probably it's the CD of Massey Hall concerts. Did anyone see Parade Magazine today (Sunday)? It's mentioned in there. I really wish I could have gone to Northampton--just up the road from where I live--but I already had a hospital overnight scheduled (no problems, all routine. As the doctor says, I have the body of a 30-year-old; unfortunately it's the body of a 30-year-old Yugo). Thanks to all for the description of the concert!
Best,
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:10 PM   #10
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
Thanks for the recaps on the concert! Awww, so good to see my pal Bill. And he's holding a glass of wine - imagine that. LOL

Vickie
you're very welcome Vickie !
Old 09-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #11
talbot10

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
I think we here up in the north take that view - whatever happens with the U.S. election will happen and we gotta live with it and carry on..

Thanks for the recaps and reviews. Interesting that Gord is taking time to speak about the boys in the band..

Look at our Billyboy and Pam! great pic!
Hey Billyboy - Next picture of us together (Massey 2009) - I'm standing on a step too!
HI There Charzo. That would be a lot of fun .... Massey in 2009 . We all had a good time last night.
It was great to meet Pam and some of the other folks I had not met as well (and of course some old pals). The theatre was a nice old place and the crowd was really behind Gord the whole show.
Bill

Last edited by talbot10; 09-21-2008 at 10:22 PM.
talbot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #12
talbot10

Still, I could see enough from the light coming in from the bar and I envisioned it well-lit and all my castmates sitting along the table (I found our table) and my director, Flo with her Bloody Mary (Clamato, not tomato juice and no celery). Lots of laughter! Our production won "Best Show" and 4 other awards at the W. Mass Community Theatre Association competition that year.

Back to the present (which is now the past) I had my photo taken with a very handsome singer/songwriter from corfid!!! Was so nice to meet you Bill!!![/QUOTE]

Right back at ya Pam! Thanks. We all had a great time last night! Was quite a nice old New England town, great show and great bar
Bill
Old 09-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
marilynb

I have to agree; Saturday night in Northampton was fantastic! I was seated very near the front and I have to say that Gord's voice was much stronger and clearer than when he last appeared at the Calvin about 2 years ago. He wove so much personal information into the show, much more than he used to in the past. You could actually feel the love and pride he has in his children and grandchildren. He may be pushing 70 or so, but he's still darn good looking to me!
marilynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #14
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention earlier that may be of interest. Gordon said that they, meaning he and the band have a very good life.
He mentioned one project in particular by name which escapes me at the moment but I think it was a retrospective or a compilation or at least a contribution to the music of his era. Perhaps someone else who was in attendance can remember the exact name of the project .
yes well I can certainly shed some light on this point just in case nobody else picked up that Gord did refer to working on "The Soundtrack Of Our Lives" a project that a few of us heard a feq detail oof some months ago but it was definitely in confidence at the time.Now that Gord himself has mentioned it I guess it is now OK to break the news and knowing just a little more than the project title a suitable google found for me
http://video.accesshollywood.com/pNayer/?id=274249
from the description on that web page you can use your imagination to speculate on Gord's involvement with this project

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 10-03-2008 at 02:52 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #15
GeoMan

Quote:
One other interesting point. Gordon has mentioned on several occasions that he is following and enjoying the US election this year, that he finds it fascinating and exciting. Last night he suggested that it doesn't actually matter who wins, that we will all go on living our lives because that is all we can really do. Pretty philosophical, and realistic. Those are the highlights from the weekend. And the boys are off to Buffalo tomorrow.
Glad to hear that Gord keeps politics real. I attend concerts to get away from political BS; not hear more of it. I went to hear Kathy Mattea once and she went a little political on the audience. It was otherwise a good concert.

John
GeoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #16
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
http://video.accesshollywood.com/pNayer/?id=274249
from the description on that web page you can use your imagination to speculate on Gord's involvement with this project
link isn't working..
Old 09-23-2008, 09:19 PM   #17
mandoann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Street Rose View Post
Thank you Sunshine for posting this great review. I am really looking forward to October. I hope you had good seats. It does my heart good to know my friend is in good spirits and the Terry, Rick, Barry and Mike are getting to do things in a different way.

Mandoann, I just got my mom a ticket for Cerritos. She is so excited I can't believe it.

DSR
Wow, Dore, that is great your mom will be there too! I sure hope my sister and brother-in-law can meet up with you! Thanks so much, Sunshine, for sharing your experience. So much to look forward to....

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

"You could wrap me around your finger"
mandoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #18
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
link isn't working..
The reason that CHar could not use the link I gave and why earlier I could not watch the video was that the URL I copied was incorrect .
It should have been http://video.aol.com/video-detail/si...ives/370011201 which really gives the game away on who is doing the project!!
Having now been able to watch most of the video at least as far as his comments on meeting the Beatles I can tell you that Sir George is as self effacing and modest as Gord so I bet they hit it off.Sir George does not mention Gord but does mention P P and M

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm

Old 10-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #19
charlene

AOL says that link won't work either.

We're sorry!
We cannot locate the page you were looking for.
Please check the address and try again, or go to the Main PageError Code:80070002
Report ID:1137-r01-20051105-005816

what is the search info you are using?
Old 10-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #20
imported_Next_Saturday

Is this the video you're talking about?
http://www.accesshollywood.com/video_274249

Last edited by imported_Next_Saturday; 10-03-2008 at 03:32 PM.
imported_Next_Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #21
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Next_Saturday View Post
Is this the video you're talking about?
http://www.accesshollywood.com/video_274249
Brilliant sleuthing INS yes there were several links that I found and I think I actually used thar Access Hollywood link in a previous draft reply that I promtly mislaid. Noteworthy was George's aside that it twill not air until 2010 and that he might not therefore live to see it

I meant no one no harm

Old 10-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #22
charlene

thanks for the correct link INS..
finally..

and this:
http://www.thedeadbolt.com/news/1048..._interview.php
Old 10-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #23
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
.... It's all good
well said, p

and these reviews are all great (but my ability to keep up with each of them is not...thanks all for sharing during this run of gigs, enjoy)
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:40 PM   #24
timetraveler

I know one things for certain, especially after having seen his Live In Reno concert on television recently. The music that he plays for the crowds & how they respond so positively to it seems to charge him up with the kind of energy that mught make the Energizer Bunny green with envy.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote