banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
charlene

Default Rush and Lightfoot

geeze it bugs me that Lightfoot's name and song lyrics are used in an article about such a person as Rush Limbaugh. For any reason.

ugh.

http://politics.gather.com/viewArtic...81474981184544

Rush Limbaugh – He’s Off The Air By Now… Right?

March 13, 2012 07:40 AM EDT
1 person recommends this | comments: 17

Rush Limbaugh is not even close to being off the air. There is undeniably trouble in Rushbo's mean little universe of racism, misogyny and general hate, but only two stations have dropped his show, and Jane Fonda isn't going to get the FCC to kill it.

So, what has been accomplished in the "War on Rush" the past couple of weeks? Well, as mentioned, Jane Fonda, and some of her famous liberal friends have embarrassed the rest of the liberal world and made Rushbo, in an admittedly limited way, a sympathetic character. How did they do this? They did it by demanding that the FCC knock the Limbaugh show off the air. According to an editorial in Forbes.com, this has the effect of garnering sympathy for Rush because he then becomes the only person in America to whom the doctrine of free speech does not apply. Maybe so, but that's not all that's going on.

As of Monday, March 12, at least 140 companies had pulled their commercials from the Limbaugh show, or, if they were not sponsors, had requested that local stations not run their ads during his show. As mentioned, two stations dropped the show (but stations change programming often enough that two out of hundreds gets lost in the noise). In an oddity, Humana, a health insurance company was suing Preval, makers of a memory drug, for calling it Concentra, the name of a Humana health care clinic chain. It seems that Preval advertised Concentra on the Limbaugh show, and immediately afterwards Humana was inundated with calls from angry clients who thought it was an ad for the clinic chain. Perhaps a medication to improve listening skills would be a welcome addition to the medicine cabinet. Ironically, in agreeing to change the name of the drug, Preval said it had previously requested that all its ads be pulled from the Limbaugh show.

In an even more hopeful sign, Premiere Networks, which syndicates the Limbaugh show, told its affiliate radio stations that they are suspending national advertising for two weeks. Local stations are free to run their own ads in the "barter ad" spots normally reserved for sponsoring advertisers, because there are no longer enough sponsoring advertisers. These spots, for which the local station receives no revenue, are the way Premiere Networks makes its money. They're not making any off Rush for the next two weeks, because they're too short of advertisers.

Finally, petitions are hitting the President's desk, Leon Pinetta's desk and Congressional desks demanding that Rush Limbaugh's constant barrage of hate and far-right politics be pulled from Armed Forces Radio. Although the response to early requests was refusal, the pressure is mounting. Perhaps...

Perhaps this is Rushbo's swan song? Is he about to be jettisoned by Premiere Networks, Clear Channels and Armed Forces Radio? Have the liberals who have for so long decried Limbaugh's hate-mongering, fact challenged show, finally won? In the immortal words of Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown," "Sometimes I think it's a sin... When I think I've been winnin' when I'm losin' again"

The truth is (and a sad truth it is, indeed) Rush Limbaugh will simply roll over this obstacle. He will continue to dominate the airwaves of hate, and within a year will have totally erased this incident from his version of reality, except to say that he beat the liberal elites and grew stronger thereby.

Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown lyrics © Sony /ATV Music Publishing LLC
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
3pennies

Default Re: Rush and Lightfoot

I thought this was going to be about Geddy, Alex, Neil and Gord
3pennies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
charlene

that would be RUSH not Rush..
Old 03-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
niffer

I had exactly the same reactions...plus, they didn't get the lyric quite right, did they?
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
charlene

Sometimes I think it's a sin
When I feel like I'm winning when I'm losing again ..

think/feel...
Old 03-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
T.G.

T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

They didn't get the song copyright correct either.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:16 AM   #8
T.G.

Could be worse, they might have used Lightfoot lyrics in connection with the execrable Bill Maher ...

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/...er-117387.html

"Maher has come under fire for calling Sarah Palin a “c**t” during his stand-up act and a “dumb tw**t” on his HBO show, among other sexist comments."
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
talbot10

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G. View Post
Could be worse, they might have used Lightfoot lyrics in connection with the execrable Bill Maher ...

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/...er-117387.html

"Maher has come under fire for calling Sarah Palin a “c**t” during his stand-up act and a “dumb tw**t” on his HBO show, among other sexist comments."
Boy do you have that right T.G.!!! Where is the outrage from all the woman about how maher refers to woman?

Last edited by talbot10; 03-14-2012 at 11:27 PM.
talbot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #10
redhead

While I am turned off by anybody using such derogatory terms to describe women, what makes Limbaugh's comments even more offensive is that he went after a young woman exercising her constitutional right to testify before congress, as a private citizen. Maher's comments were directed at a public figure, who makes her lucrative living by sparking controversy. In addition, Maher is a comedian on cable television, whereas Limbaugh has more or less become the mouthpiece for one of America's major political parties. His rant about how this young woman should be required to post a sex video on line in exchange for her insurance company covering the cost of her B.C. prescription was absolutely sickening.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
LindaWild

Send a message via Skype™ to LindaWild

Gosh, me too. Read this headline and thought that perhaps Geddy Lee & GL were doing something together.
LindaWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
GJA

Rush Bimbo's name should not be uttered in the same universe as Gordon Lightfoot's name.

Last edited by GJA; 03-18-2012 at 05:24 PM.
GJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
talbot10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
While I am turned off by anybody using such derogatory terms to describe women, what makes Limbaugh's comments even more offensive is that he went after a young woman exercising her constitutional right to testify before congress, as a private citizen. Maher's comments were directed at a public figure, who makes her lucrative living by sparking controversy. In addition, Maher is a comedian on cable television, whereas Limbaugh has more or less become the mouthpiece for one of America's major political parties. His rant about how this young woman should be required to post a sex video on line in exchange for her insurance company covering the cost of her B.C. prescription was absolutely sickening.
Redhead, Hopeuflly this will point-out the double standard to you that exists about who and what are tolerated (behind the cloak of entertainment). This is a post fromn Bristol Palin.

"Dear President Obama, You don’t know my telephone number, but I hope your staff is busy trying to find it. Ever since you called Sandra Fluke after Rush Limbaugh called her a slut, I figured I might be next," Bristol's latest blog post begins.

She goes on to rail against Obama for his lack of consistency regarding the media's attacks on women:

But here’s why I’m a little surprised my phone hasn’t rung. Your $1,000,000 donor Bill Maher has said reprehensible things about my family. He’s made fun of my brother because of his Down’s Syndrome. He’s said I was “f—-d so hard a baby fell out.” (In a classy move, he did this while his producers put up the cover of my book, which tells about the forgiveness and redemption I’ve found in God after my past -- very public -- mistakes.)

If Maher talked about Malia and Sasha that way, you’d return his dirty money and the Secret Service would probably have to restrain you. After all, I’ve always felt you understood my plight more than most because your mom was a teenager. That’s why you stood up for me when you were campaigning against Sen. McCain and my mom -- you said vicious attacks on me should be off limits.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #14
redhead

Quote:
Redhead, Hopeuflly this will point-out the double standard to you that exists about who and what are tolerated (behind the cloak of entertainment).

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Sandra_Fluke%22

Here’s what it comes down to, from my perspective.

Limbaugh and his “Ditto Heads” have been trying to deflect his bad behavior by accusing women of hypocrisy for supposedly sticking up for Bill Maher’s jokes. Nobody is sticking up for anyone. And, sorry, but the “well, THEY do it, too” excuse just doesn’t cut it.

Bill Maher has also used cruel and sexist words to describe women, with the difference being that these powerful Republican women have chosen to make their living in the public eye (and that includes Bristol Palin). In addition, Bill Maher is not the unofficial leader of any political party. In order to see him, you have to pay to watch him on HBO, and his reach is limited.

Rush Limbaugh himself acknowledges that he may be the “de facto leader” of a major political party in America, that not only takes it’s cues from him, but has systematically gone after women’s rights. He used his massive public platform to viciously slander a law student who chose to speak out on behalf of women who cannot afford basic reproductive health care, and he did it in the most demeaning manner possible...by portraying again and again (46 times in a three day period) his cruelty and his sexism.

Perhaps the main reason as to why I find Limbaugh’s comments even more offensive is because I have a college aged daughter, and felt personally offended by the insults and abuse he continuously spewed against this well-intentioned young lady who had the courage to speak out. This was a rant of highly personal attacks that were designed to bully and intimidate her into submission by casting aspersions on her moral character. His ugly rant against a private citizen who decided to stand up and be counted overstepped any reasonable bounds of decency.

I have provided a link to Wikipedia, which provides the complete transcript of Limbaugh's remarks regarding Sandra Fluke. I was unable to provide the full transcript, as it was too long to fit into a single posting.

Have a good evening.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
redhead

Upon further reflection upon the “Limbaugh-Maher” political debate that this thread has morphed into, I’d like to give a specific example of why I feel Limbaugh is the worse offender.

Rush Limbaugh has launched numerous attacks against Former Speaker Nancy Pelosi. And while many people found them to be offensive, there wasn’t this kind of a public outcry against anything he said. I believe the reason for this is because Pelosi chose to become a powerful, political player, and is perfectly capable of handling herself in the public arena. She implements policies that some do not agree with, and therefore must expect and accept the criticism that goes along with that.

To go after a private citizen in such a brazen manner like Limbaugh did does something very dangerous in a democracy; it sends the message anybody speaking out against what he believes runs the risk of having their character assassinated publically, and effectively silences many people into submission. This comes at a time when we need to have more of our citizens involved and voicing their concerns in our democracy, not less.

I try very hard to keep my comments apolitical whenever I post something here at Corfid, as I don’t feel that this is the proper forum to be discussing hot button issues. The ONLY reason that I posted anything at all on the subject, was in direct response to talbot10’s question of “Where is the outrage from all of the women…”
Old 03-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
talbot10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Upon further reflection upon the “Limbaugh-Maher” political debate that this thread has morphed into, I’d like to give a specific example of why I feel Limbaugh is the worse offender.

Rush Limbaugh has launched numerous attacks against Former Speaker Nancy Pelosi. And while many people found them to be offensive, there wasn’t this kind of a public outcry against anything he said. I believe the reason for this is because Pelosi chose to become a powerful, political player, and is perfectly capable of handling herself in the public arena. She implements policies that some do not agree with, and therefore must expect and accept the criticism that goes along with that.

To go after a private citizen in such a brazen manner like Limbaugh did does something very dangerous in a democracy; it sends the message anybody speaking out against what he believes runs the risk of having their character assassinated publically, and effectively silences many people into submission. This comes at a time when we need to have more of our citizens involved and voicing their concerns in our democracy, not less.

I try very hard to keep my comments apolitical whenever I post something here at Corfid, as I don’t feel that this is the proper forum to be discussing hot button issues. The ONLY reason that I posted anything at all on the subject, was in direct response to talbot10’s question of “Where is the outrage from all of the women…”
I enjoyed the discussion Redhead and hearing your opinion. People can respectfully discuss things no matter what their veiwpoints and that is what we did. Have a great week!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #17
redhead

Quote:
I enjoyed the discussion Redhead and hearing your opinion. People can respectfully discuss things no matter what their veiwpoints and that is what we did. Have a great week!
You too, talbot10! I enjoyed our discussion.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #18
GeoMan

One reason Gord's concerts are so enjoyable is he plays his music for our enjoyment and does not get into political discourse which only detracts from the refreshing experience (such as the likes of Merle Haggard or Kathy Mattea; both who I have seen and one of the two went into a political diatribe which disrupted good music the entire evening and cost me $100.00 which I wish I had back to donate to the opposing political viewpoint). Even though I know Gord is and has been somewhat "active" in politcal causes, and has written "political" songs, he is not offensive. Does he understand people from the left and right both enjoy his music? It is because he is a gentleman or just practical? I do not know, but I attend his concerts and listen to his music not for politics, but for the enjoyment and refreshment of my soul. I hope Gord keeps it that way.
GeoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #19
teherie

Great comment by Geoman.

I was going to join in this discussion until the lyrics from "Heaven Help the Devil" popped into my head. This relatively unknown song really covers it all without be judgmental, it's message is timeless and it would be nice if politicians and the media would adopt the lyrics as their mission statement.

In this land of chance do we know right from wrong
Even at a glance we know the road is long
We don't owe a single thing to anyone
Most of us do not believe in come what may
Everything we fought for was in vain they say
Even when called upon to throw our lives away
We have been captured by the thieves of the night
Held for ransom if you please
Heaven help the devil may he have a few unpleasant memories
In these times of trial and uncertainty
I have thought what does this freedom mean to me
Is it just some long forgotten fantasy
Our love for each other may not be explained
We live in a world where tears must fall like rain
Most of us don't wish to cause each other pain
To every unsung hero in the universe
To those who roam the skies and those who roam the earth
To all good men of reason may they never thirst
We have wings to guide us through the timeless sea
And faith that will remain through all eternity
We try to be helpful to the ones in need
teherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #20
timetraveler

I just about had a freakin' cow myself! Of all things I had been setting here listening to Limelight by RUSH, when I came across this thread. In our house, Limbaugh's name is a dirty word.