banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-18-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
phishfearme

ok - here's a strange one for all you gord-aholics. to what movie is gordon referring to in If You Could Read My Mind as "the old time movie,'bout a ghost from a wishin' well"? anybody know or is it just poetic license?
thanks.
phish
phishfearme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
brink-

like an old time movie.....
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
Auburn Annie

Poetic license, I think. There was some discussion about this last year (or maybe the year before - time flies) which left that question unresolved.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
marc in maine

I understand Gord's lyrics in analogies, mostly. It's a reliable tool to convey meaning. It most probably comes from the influence of biblical revelation of which his songs are peppered. I wouldn't rack my brain on a "movie" but..."a ghost from a wishin' well"? Hmmm...Does that mean something like the old saying: "Be careful what you wish for because you may get it."
marc in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
Borderstone

There was a topic about this about 2 years back and like then,I say he's talking about,"The Ghost and Mrs. Muir". (Jean Tierney/Rex Harrison).

I honestly cannot think of any possible movie he could be referring to than that.

If you've never seen it,give it a look and you'll know what I mean.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #6
Auburn Annie

That's Gene Tierney as Mrs Muir and it's a wonderful movie but I don't remember any wishing well on the property. I think the only movie we could come up with that had both ghosts and a well (not necessarily the wishing variety) was "The Time of Their Lives", an Abbott and Costello movie featuring Lou Costello as a Colonial tinker named Horatio and - had to look this up- Marjorie Reynolds as Melody who were thought to be traitors during the Revolutionary War and killed, their bodies dumped in the well. Their souls are condemned to remain on the property until a descendant of Bud Abbott's character (Greenway) frees them by uncovering the truth. Each of them longs to be set free to reunite with their loves, Nora and Tom, who wait for them in heaven.

Somehow I don't think his inspiration was this 1946 movie, but who knows?
Old 08-19-2006, 07:16 PM   #7
charlene

He spoke about it on the BillBennett radio show in August but I can't access it even tho I saved it...Apparently I need to buy a membership...
He said something about putting in some old Hollywood movie stuff when asked about the 'ghost in a wishing well" if I remember it correctly. He didn't specify any particular movie tho.
If anyone was able to save it they can check and possibly send it along to me!
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:16 AM   #8
Jesse Joe

He also stated that, you have to beleive in ghost. Bill said I do, and Gord replied I do also, althouh, I have never seen one. But no movie was mentioned.

You can listen to the show at this link:

http://www.bennettmornings.com/pg/js...NoYXJ0dHlwZT1j

[ August 20, 2006, 07:07: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #9
Borderstone

Maybe his references are taken from more than one film. There's more than likely many that could be mentioned but offhand,the 2 we've picked so far seem to be it.

Heck,for all we know he could even be referring to "Topper". A movie about the spirit of a man who lives in the house of a young couple.

Annie,I remember seeing,"The Time Of Their Lives",back in the '70s when channel 6 in San Diego would have an Abbott & Costello movie every Sunday. Their team efforts were always funny but for creativity,that movie was great.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #10
phishfearme

many thanks for all the feedback and thoughts. i hit the bennett interview and what a terrible interviewer bennett is. just as GL is about to answer anything, bennett interupts. so the truth here is still illusive. more thoughts are welcome. - phish

by the way it's "phish fear me" not "phish farmer" although it's a nice thought.
phishfearme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:15 PM   #11
Auburn Annie

Bennett's a social and political conservative in the US. He is not known for, nor was he hired for, his skills as a commentator or interviewer. FWIW, he's a Fox News regular and former Secretary of Education under Ronald Reagan. He does sometimes put his mouth in gear before engaging brain, as in this example from last year:

Addressing a caller's suggestion that the "lost revenue from the people who have been aborted in the last 30 years" would be enough to preserve Social Security's solvency, radio host and former Reagan administration Secretary of Education Bill Bennett dismissed such "far-reaching, extensive extrapolations" by declaring that if "you wanted to reduce crime ... if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down." Bennett conceded that aborting all African-American babies "would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do," then added again, "but the crime rate would go down."

See http://mediamatters.org/items/200509280006

Even the White House backed away from him on that one (publicly, at any rate.) Mr. Bennett has been called the Morality Czar and The Crown Prince of Cranky (my favorite) among others.

His enthusiasm for Gord's music merely confirms the universal appeal it has.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:23 AM   #12
Auburn Annie

There may be some sort of subliminal connection there for Gord. He would have been 8 when the movie came out and Abbott and Costello were very popular in the 40s and early 50s so it's likely he saw it at the local theater at the time.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:32 PM   #13
Borderstone

Sure it's not "The Nutty Professor" ? :D LOL!
Old 08-21-2006, 08:40 PM   #14
My Name is Ann

I'm new here but I'm going to jump in on this one.

Am I the only one but I don't take his lyrics quite that literally...(?)

I know that many if not most of his songs are drawn on personal experience but I don't look for quite such a literal meaning in his lyrics.

I've listened to IYCRMM since it first came out and never did I think that "a ghost from a wishing well" referred to the actual script of an "oldtime movie."

I give Gord a lot of latitude when it comes to such things.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:38 PM   #15
RM

My Name is Ann,

Just adding my welcome. I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to jump in. I happen to feel the same way as you do about his lyrics. I hear them as metaphors, personal, but not literal. I think that's one of the reasons for its wide and long-lasting appeal. We each make them our own.

A note about jumping in : You did see the warning about the riptide that can sometimes appear at this site, didn't you ? There have been a few reports of near-drownings.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:43 PM   #16
RM

General question :

Why is this thread so "widescreen" and difficult to read ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:25 AM   #17
LSH

RMD:
I think it is the link, further up in the thread. It happens, mostly with pictures though.
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:36 AM   #18
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

QUOTE]Originally posted by RMD:
I happen to feel the same way as you do about his lyrics. I hear them as metaphors, personal, but not literal. I think that's one of the reasons for its wide and long-lasting appeal. We each make them our own.
[/QUOTE]

How very true
Whereas other songwriters were obviously fuelled by hallucinogenic substances,Gord's whimsical poetry sometimes occurs from quite unexplainable thought processes.For example I am always quite overawed by the final verse of my current favo(u)rite Gordsong
"Will you get that restless yearning when you hear the wicked blast
Of a spectre from the past
Of a cold diesel rolling down a road that's built to last
Still I get that restless feeling when I hear a whistle blast
See an image from the past
Of an old schooner flying down a sky that's overcast"
So many inspiring images and thoughts are contained in those four wonderful lines
and provide much food for thought and imagination

reduced size picture from:-
http://www.liberatorcrew.com/SB1919/TG.htm
which has the caption
A great shot of the wicked muzzle blast the short barreled Brownings are noted for.

a Diesel Road Roller
and:-

A schooner with an overcast sky
Best illustration of the phenomenon that I could find
OK,OK just how many schooners have YOU ever seen flying anywhere??
That is a cropped version of the larger original picture at:-
http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoun...-albatross.jpg
OK got it, I think
a relevant quote from a page headed
Hallucinogenic Mushrooms
at:-
http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/mush.html
"Psilocybin/Psilocin Mushrooms
Both psilocybin and psyilocin produce yawning, inability to concentrate, restless-ness, increased heart rate, and hallucinations (visual and auditory)."
John Fowles

[ August 22, 2006, 11:06: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote