banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2003, 09:48 AM   #1
TheWatchman

He wrote some very positive things about Lightfoot. Be sure to read all the way to the bottom of the page as he talks about seeing Lightfoot in concert, must have been in 2002.
http://www.scarecrowsdream.com/gordonlightfoot.htm
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:34 AM   #2
Oma

Thanks for the link! You're right, he does say some very positive things about GL! Good reading.
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:24 AM   #3
MotherofaMinersChild

There are some lovely things said about Gordon in that link...but I think that the author is the creator of the website and not Dan himself. The author uses phrases like "Dan has said" and "like Dan". I do not see any direct quotes from Dan Fogelberg in the piece.

Scarecrowsdream.com is a fan created website (much like the link at the bottom of the article "gordonlighfoot.com"). But here is something Dan said from his official website:
danfogelberg.com,

6. "Whispers In The Wind"

(Sample lyric: ' She wraps the foggy night around her like a warming shawl…All she leaves behind to find her in the dawn are whispers in the wind.' )

"It was written for a lady, probably in '85. It was a very brief, very romantic situation. The nature of that relationship felt to me like an old Gordon Lightfoot song like 'Softly She Comes.' Gordon wrote a lot of that stuff: great, mysterious, women would show up in the middle of the night and disappear. Lightfoot is one of my greatest influences. I admire his songwriting. I said 'I ought to write a song that sounds like Gordon Lightfoot.' Melodically and lyrically this is a tribute to Lightfoot."

MotherofaMinersChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:23 PM   #4
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I remember seeing this a few years ago. It's a fan website, and think the author is a woman.
I hear Dan has a new CD coming out. Does any one know if Whispers In The Wind is on it? The title is very close to Whispers Of The North.
I remember reading somewhere that Lightfoot was a big influence on both Dan Fogelberg's and Jim Croce's careers.

Cathy

Edited because I just learned how to spell whisper....

[This message has been edited by Cathy (edited June 23, 2003).]
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 07:47 PM   #5
MotherofaMinersChild

Yes, Cathy, "Whispers in the Wind" is on Dan's new cd "Full Circle". But it is nothing like "Whispers of the North". As he stated, it's about a mysterious lover that comes in the night...much like the woman in "Softly". Gee, I wonder if it is the same gal? LOL. While the lyrics are Gordlike...I am not so sure the melody is, to my amateur ear anyway. A couple of other songs on the cd are similar to Gord's in the lyric writing style ("Reach Haven Postcard" reminds me of "Song For A Winter's Night" for example) but I must say the melodies are pure Dan and nothing of them reminds me of Gord's. And the cd is aptly named as I think it sounds more like his first recordings, "Home Free", "Captured Angel" and "Souvenirs".
MotherofaMinersChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 05:35 PM   #6
violet Blue Horse

Sigghhhhhhh . . . as much as I love both Fogelberg and Lightfoot, enough with the mysterious woman thing already guys, you're just making it hard on youselves. You never hear women songwriters writing songs about "mysterious" men who come and go in the mists. I sometimes think the male of the species is the overly romantic one and actually create their own heartache where none exists.

quote:Originally posted by MotherofaMinersChild:
Yes, Cathy, "Whispers in the Wind" is on Dan's new cd "Full Circle". But it is nothing like "Whispers of the North". As he stated, it's about a mysterious lover that comes in the night...much like the woman in "Softly". Gee, I wonder if it is the same gal? LOL. While the lyrics are Gordlike...I am not so sure the melody is, to my amateur ear anyway. A couple of other songs on the cd are similar to Gord's in the lyric writing style ("Reach Haven Postcard" reminds me of "Song For A Winter's Night" for example) but I must say the melodies are pure Dan and nothing of them reminds me of Gord's. And the cd is aptly named as I think it sounds more like his first recordings, "Home Free", "Captured Angel" and "Souvenirs".

------------------
Born once - Got it right the first time. )O(
Old 06-28-2003, 07:49 PM   #7
Borderstone

Really? What about Heart's "Magic Man"? He was mysterious. In fact Ann Wilson spends many months with this no named male,who seems to have popped out of nowhere. "He's a mgic man mama! OOHHHHHH!" Puh-lease! Cool jam though. Later!

------------------
Borderstone (Also known as,"The B!")
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 11:31 PM   #8
violet Blue Horse

And we all know what kind of magic HE had. But do you hear him coming and going in the mist, walking the hills above the town etc?

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
Really? What about Heart's "Magic Man"? He was mysterious. In fact Ann Wilson spends many months with this no named male,who seems to have popped out of nowhere. "He's a mgic man mama! OOHHHHHH!" Puh-lease! Cool jam though. Later!

Old 06-30-2003, 05:19 AM   #9
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

My wife and I saw Dan Fogelberg & His Band at the Keswick Theatre on June 1st. My wife is the primary fan but I was impressed, great show. I would suggest seeing him if he comes to your area. No mention of Lightfoot at that concert though.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 05:37 PM   #10
Borderstone

I like Dan F. to and have all 11 of his top 40 hits. I have his best of LP and the "Language Of Love" 45rpm from 1984. He's a lot more pop oriented the Gordon Lightfoot and certainly more AC but he's still something nice to listen to. The thing I find kind of sad about his post hit career isthat when I go to a record store that sells old vinyl,the letter "F" section might as well be called The Dan Fogelberg Rack! Seemingly every one of his albums are there and usually not in the best shape. I thought a lot of GL LP's that I saw were in bad shape but Dan (sadly) wins the prize. Boy,when the American public dumps a once popular artist,they "really" dump! That's really the one thing about popular music that I detest. In Europe or other countries they revere their most popular artists into old age and beyond (unless they do something to tarnish their standing). Here in the U.S. you end up forgotten for about 15 or 20 years until they decide they want to hear from you again or put you in the R&R Hall Of Fame. I'd blame the music buying public completely if I didn't know that the labels are the biggest culprits (and we all know why by now.) I don't see Dan getting into the hall of fame but he should at least be remembered as a fine music and songwriter along the lines of Gord,Neil Diamond,John Denver and Al Stewart just to name a few. It's been me,catch ya on the flipside of Sundown!

------------------
Borderstone (Also known as,"The B!")
Old 07-03-2003, 07:39 AM   #11
Auburn Annie

From the Rocky Mountain News:

Fogelberg comes around
Singer-songwriter returns to '70s style on new tour, CD

By Carol Simmons, Dayton Daily News
July 3, 2003

Dan Fogelberg was all of 20 when he signed his first recording deal with Columbia Records in 1971. And he penned many of his biggest hits during the course of that decade.

Although he came to national attention as part of a popular music trend of the time that heralded singer-songwriters such as James Taylor, Joni Mitchell and Paul Simon, Fogelberg always followed his own muse, exploring a variety of musical paths through the years.

As he prepares to begin a summer tour, which includes a Friday show at the Paramount Theatre, Fogelberg finds that the singer-songwriter genre is experiencing a resurgence in popularity. Younger acts such as David Gray, John Mayer and Jack Johnson are filling venues across the country.

So the timing appears right for Fogelberg's latest album release - his first all-new studio project in 10 years - in which he re-creates the Southern California, country-tinged folk-rock balladry of his youth.

Fogelberg called the effort Full Circle for a reason.

"This is pretty much where I began, stylistically," he said. "I've been off on a lot of musical directions. I've gone down a lot of roads personally, as a musician and artist. It's kind of ironic; I found on my 50th birthday that it took me back to where I began."

While nine of the collection's 11 tracks are Fogelberg originals, the title track is a lesser-known Byrds song. Fogelberg counts the Byrds as one of his earlier influences, along with George Harrison and Gordon Lightfoot.

But Gene Clark's lyric - "You think you're lost / And then you're found again . . . Each time around there's something new again" - captures Fogelberg's sense of the world as he continues making music in his home studio.

The circle imagery allows the Peoria, Ill.-born Fogelberg to include songs from throughout his career - going back as far as the beginning, with a song he wrote in the early 1970s and somehow never got around to recording, Drawing Pictures.

But it also brings him to the present with a pair of songs that state his thoughts and feelings about two issues closest to his heart: the role of the artist in society and the necessity for ongoing environmental vigilence.

In press materials put out in conjunction with the new album's release, Fogelberg said that, while Earth Anthem, written in the mid-'60s by Bill Martin, "represents the nature of my own being to protect and preserve and love nature," Icarus Ascending "is the high-water mark of this record, for me.

"It's perhaps as close as I will ever come to really expressing my core philosophy."

Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 11:19 AM   #12
gwen snyder

ok, now I need to find two cd's.
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:11 AM   #13
Borderstone

I bet you $5 he does,"Your Love's Return"!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone