banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2000, 12:07 AM   #1
young stranger

Ok, I haven't made any replies in awhile and this is my first topic and a bold one at that. In other words, I hope I don't get in trouble for this one. This one is for all the Canadians on the forum (others feel free though, of course, and Charlene, I'm expecting your opinion on this).

I'd just like to get a feel for how all our friends up North there feel about others enjoying Gord's music, and let me explain that one. Of course you're happy that we love the music of Gordon Lightfoot, but what I mean is do you think we can appreciate his talent as fully as all of you do without being Canadian?

I don't really know, but I have the feeling that in Canada, more of Gord's music is heard (or was heard) on the radio, T.V. shows, etc. Here in the United States, it seems to me that most people who didn't really get INTO Gord's music (which excludes everyone on this site) only really heard a few songs and probably only remember IYCRMM, Sundown, Carefree Highway, and The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. I am at a disadvantage in being 24 yrs. old since I didn't grow up with his music. But I remember those four from the radio when I was a wee lad and from my parents (they had LP's of Sundown, Summertime Dream, and The Best of...) and that's all that got me to buy Gord's Gold. What a treasure chest I stumbled into!

So given our more limited exposure, do you think that those of us from outside Canada can have as much of an appreciation for the music without knowing what it means to you to be Canadian? If not, I'd like to think we can come kinda close. Can't wait to hear all of your opinions.

Chris

------------------
-----------------------------------------------
"...life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees."
- GB
young stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2000, 06:40 PM   #2
sandyo

Young stranger,

I am from Massachusetts and I'm 45. Not much radio play here for Gord (except the big ones, IYCRMM, Wreck & Sundown are all I can remember airing. But I think if you hear a Gord song and it hits you somehow, and you buy the album...then the rest is history; you become a fan. (short for fanatic!) Atleast that's the way it was for me. I was hooked after my first album and have been since and I'm sure I will be till death do us part. Interesting topic. Thanks
sandyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2000, 06:43 PM   #3
sandyo

Young stranger,

I am from Massachusetts and I'm 45. Not much radio play here for Gord. (except the big ones, IYCRMM, Wreck & Sundown are all I can remember airing.) But I think if you hear a Gord song and it hits you somehow, and you buy the album...then the rest is history; you become a fan. (short for fanatic!) Atleast that's the way it was for me. I was hooked after my first album and have been since and I'm sure I will be till death do us part. Interesting topic. Thanks
Old 08-15-2000, 07:01 PM   #4
Frank v

I totally agree Sandyo,
Gords music crosses boundarys for all.
Its totally international!

young stranger,
Char will be back from a holiday break soon.
I got an email from her today.
she's definetly the one for this topic!
Watch her go...

I wanted to post here sooner,but I was waiting for her.
Its only today I found out she's away.
Great topic!

Frank.

Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2000, 07:14 PM   #5
sandyo

Sorry my reply posted twice... New mouse, I guess, too sensitive.
Old 08-15-2000, 09:13 PM   #6
2Much2Lose

I expect we Americans (sic) cannot "get" all of it any more than we "get" all of Shakespeare. But it doesn't lessen the enjoyment. After all, who cannot understand the sentiment of "Heading North across that line is the only time I'm flying."?

There's no place like home ... There's no place like home ... There's no place like home.

Anyone who writes from his/her personal experience will be aware of overtones that will not be fully understood by any other person. But does that mean that Char can't fully "get" the song Beautiful because it is a love song sung by a man, reflecting a man's experience? Tell that to her (and you'll get a surprise).

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2000, 09:17 PM   #7
young stranger

Thanks for the replies, I hope to hear a lot more on this. sandyo, I'm from your neck of the woods, I was born in Connecticut, I lived near Boston for a year, and I go to school near Albany, NY. Your story about getting hooked on GL is exactly like mine, and like you, his music will be with me the rest of my life. And Frank V (that's a capital "V"), you are right that the music crosses all boundaries and can be loved by all.

The thought just occurred to me that it's not that hard for non-Canadians to relate to some of the Canadian things that Gord sings about. Take for instance all the songs that speak of the Canadian countryside. Sure, Canada has its own unique landscape, but in general we all have similar sights to see in our countries. So we can well imagine "resting in the shade of a maple tree...saying a prayer to the blue ______ sky" wherever your blue sky might be.

But take a song that is rich in Canadian heritage. The quintessential example is CRT. Now I can relate quite a bit and when I listen to it, a flood of imagery comes to mind. I don't know a thing about it except for the lyrics of that song (which are quite comprehensive, I've read), but the experience was probably a lot like the building of the American transcontinental railroad and others.

What I really want to know is do Canadian fans feel that others are simply at a disadvantage in really taking all of it to heart? Now please don't get offended by that, I don't mean to imply that Canadians would be arrogant about GL being Canadian. In fact, I think I can safely say that Canadians are among the nicest and most modest (but still proud, of course, as they should be) people in the world. So please continue to contribute to this discussion.

Chris

------------------
- GB
Old 08-15-2000, 09:21 PM   #8
young stranger

Wow, didn't see that reply 2Much2Lose (I was writing mine). That is a great perspective and I feel a little dumb, because it's kind of obvious. But your right, I guess there is probably a lot of feeling and meaning in the songs that Gord himself had in mind when he wrote it and some of it only he will understand. Others may find a different meaning alltogether and it doesn't matter where you come from. Thanks, that is a really great insight.

Chris
Old 08-15-2000, 09:21 PM   #9
young stranger

Wow, didn't see that reply 2Much2Lose (I was writing mine). That is a great perspective and I feel a little dumb, because it's kind of obvious. But your right, I guess there is probably a lot of feeling and meaning in the songs that Gord himself had in mind when he wrote it and some of it only he will understand. Others may find a different meaning alltogether and it doesn't matter where you come from. Thanks, that is a really great insight.

Chris
Old 08-15-2000, 10:09 PM   #10
young stranger

sorry about the double, I have no idea why that happened, must have been while I was hitting the back button.

------------------
- GB
Old 08-15-2000, 10:09 PM   #11
young stranger

sorry about the double, I have no idea why that happened, must have been while I was hitting the back button.

------------------
- GB
Old 08-15-2000, 10:13 PM   #12
young stranger

Help, I'm stuck in double land and can't get out!

------------------
- GB
Old 08-16-2000, 12:32 AM   #13
charlene

Just checked in and saw this post!
I have heard my mum say that back in the mid to late sixties Gord was everywhere - here in Toronto at least! He was on radio, doing CBC shows, interviews, articles in the newspapers and magazines.
As far as the connection of Gord being Canadian and other Canadians feeling different about him than non-Canadian fans I would have to say , at least in my case, it is true. So many Canadians have left Canada to become successful. I understand the dynamics that essentially force them to do this. Lightfoot stayed in Canada and stayed Canadian in every sense of the word. This in itself makes me feel about him in a way that non-Canadians can't feel, just by the fact that they are from other countries. They can be proud of him for remaining Canadian, just as I am, but it's not a pride of being a Canadian like him. I KNOW what it feels like, just as any person from any country feels when one of their own stirs those feelings up. I can imagine the pride an American has when they say "He/she" is an American!", but I don't KNOW it. I KNOW the Canadian version! I hope that made sense!
As far as Gord's images in his songs go - it's very true that many of them can be placed anywhere and each person can relate to a scene or emotion. Knowing what Lightfoot has said about his country, his hometown, the land he rode his bike on, fished in, travelled across and wrote about, they are all the backdrops to his songs. They are Lightfoot and they are Canadian. As am I. We are proud Canadians and I would like to think that Gord is as proud of me and all other Canadians as we are of him.
Gord uses other city names etc. in his songs like he uses women's names - but the backdrop is almost always something from "home." His images of home are very deep in Lightfoot and his memories are strong and vivid to him.
Perhaps for me the fact that he STAYED a Canadian in Canada, is almost, or maybe more important than BEING Canadian! It's a pretty close call!
American performers hardly ever have to leave their country to become successful so I don't know how those of you who are American can relate to the passionate devotion and pride I have for Lightfoot for this because so few Americans ever have had that choice to make. Ronnie Hawkins, from Arkansas, came up here to Toronto in the late 50's and has said that Canadian artists have to work 10 times harder than American ones - even those that go to the U.S. Yet Ronnie has remained in Canada (40 minutes N/E of me) and raised his family here. You have to laugh at the old Hawk tho - as he has been saying for 40 years - "the big time is right around the corner!"
Maybe one reason I have remained a stalwart fan, along with a deep love of the music is Gord has been true to Canadians/me and I want to show him that his loyalty to me as a Canadian is appreciated. I am a huge proponent of Gratitude - it is a major part of being a civilized person - being grateful/thankful for that which is bestowed upon you by another.! I am grateful for Gordon Lightfoot.
Your appreciation of his music is the same as mine. The only difference is that Lightfoot and I are Canadians and have that similarity that connects us in a way that can't connect fans from other places. We all look for ways to understand ourselves and those around us. But we can never KNOW. I can't even KNOW what another Canadian fan feels - it's that personal. It's true for every human that our own personal life experience to this moment, has coloured our heart's feelings and our mind's thoughts.
I can imagine your pride in whatever may make you proud - but I can't really KNOW it.
As a Canadian, this feeling I have is just different - not bad or good, not better or worse - just different.
I am grateful that you adore Lightfoot as I do and that I have found people to share my feelings with in a loving, laughing, intelligent and respectful forum such as this.
I believe the presence of Lightfoot in our lives makes us all better people.
Char

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2000, 05:09 AM   #14
The_young_stranger

Sandyo, You're right !

Fantastic songs are nothing else than fantastic songs, so it doesn't matter whether you're canadian or non-canadian.
If you like it you like it.

But, emotionally, perhaps canadians tend to care for "their" Gord more than we
non-canadians do.
The_young_stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2000, 06:09 AM   #15
Frank v

What did I tell ya..young stranger!

You see what we've all been missing!

WELCOME BACK CHAR!

Frank.
Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2000, 08:40 AM   #16
young stranger

Thanks again everyone for the fine replies and especially for the insights of Char. She had a great point, while the music is easy to relate to and can touch everyone deep in their souls regardless of heritage, there is a pride that the Canadians have in their hearts for Gord that we others won't know. But as Char also pointed out, we can still relate to that kind of feeling. There are many things that make me very proud to be an American so I know what it's like to feel that inside. I just can't fully know what it's like to feel that pride because Gordon Lightfoot is a fellow Canadian.

Additionally, we now have a post with replies by myself (young stranger) and The_young_stranger. I almost thought I was going crazy as I just glanced at the reply because I thought it was mine. I thought maybe I was sleep walking in the middle of the night and wrote a reply, just kidding. Anyway, great to have your opinion, The_young_stranger. I guess we'll all have to try and keep it straight. This could get confusing.

And hey, let's hear from more Canadians.Thanks

Chris

------------------
- GB