banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 03-15-2007, 01:27 AM   #1
Dream Street Rose

Just wondering if anyone likes Garth Brooks music?
Old 03-15-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Gitchigumee

I love Garth! He's incredible. In my opinion, he is (almost) in the same class as John Lennon, i.e., uses his music for more than just entertainment. He has a naughty streak but a pure heart and it shows in his interviews. I can't wait 'til he comes back to work, as he's been taking time off the past couple of years to spend time raising his daughters. He seems to have his head on straight, and when he does mess up, he's not afraid to admit it and/or show emotion. He's a class act.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Dream Street Rose

Do you really think Garth will come back to work? It sure would make a lot of people happy if he did. He is so talented. Maybe Garth and Trisha will do some touring together.

Thank you Gitchigumee for sharing.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
Gitchigumee

Oh yeah, he'll come back, he's way too young to hang up the cowboy hat forever. He's in his 40's I think. I'm not sure how old his youngest daughter is, but I'll bet we'll start hearing more from Garth within the next couple of years. He has too much to give, and I doubt if he'll be gone much longer.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Old 03-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
Dream Street Rose

Love that positive attitude. I hope you are right. Do you have his 6 CD limited series? :D
Old 03-16-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
Gitchigumee

No I don't, but maybe I should. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
Dream Street Rose

Hi Gitchigumee,

Happy to find someone here who likes the same type of music that my husband and I do.

For a year of two Garth sold his recordings only to Wal-Mart. Sort of strange I thought but great deals on the 6 CD set. If you want the set and there is no Wal-Mart by you I think you can order on line. If I am wrong, I am sorry.

Have a wonderful weekend.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
Gitchigumee

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depends on how you look at it), I have 2, yes two, Superwalmarts in my town. I will definitely check into it when I make my weekly trek. Will let you know. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #9
Borderstone

Never been much into his stuff,but
I did buy his single as "Chris Gaines" in late 1999,titled,"Lost In You".

That single stands as his only entry on the pop top 40.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:50 PM   #10
Dream Street Rose

Oh my gosh Borderstone,

I did not think you liked country music. What a shock for me. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #11
Borderstone

Actually I like 60's & 70's country,80s country was dull,90s country was even worse.

As for today's,it's either too commercial or to obnoxious for my taste.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #12
Dream Street Rose

Bordersotne,

What country group or person do you like the best?
Old 03-17-2007, 07:10 PM   #13
Borderstone

Well th list of 60's & 70s country artisst is too numerous to list here but let's just say I like the way country sounded then.

All the ladies of country back then get a big thumbs up from me!

I "did" like Kenny Rogers until he got all sappy with those ballads! [img]tongue.gif[/img] "You Decorated my Life" ??? Ugh!! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Ronnie Milsap's dang cool! Glen Campbell & BJ Thomas too.

Forthe 80s,I will give it to Alabama but I don't have any of their albums because they bear the Southern rebel flag.

I always feel like flinging my radio out the window when I hear Lee Greenwood's "U.S.A." song,it's just a stomach turner for me!

I guess I'll admit,I do have The Best Of Shania Twain. I just like her music,it's fun.

Right now,there's not really a country act I like. Whos that guy with the CD "Shock N'Yall". ?? I find him obnoxious!
Old 03-18-2007, 06:21 PM   #14
Dream Street Rose

Borderstone,

Wouldn't you just know that my favorite song is Lee Greenwood's "USA" song.

Maybe we are not related.

Just kidding, I know we really are. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2007, 08:57 AM   #15
Gitchigumee

Ronnie Milsap was/is incredible. I can't remember the cassette I had of his, but I wore it out. I aught to go get the CD. I think it was something about rain, but all I keep thinking is Early Morning Rain. I wonder why?

Borderstone, you seem to me like maybe a Dixie Chicks kind of guy. All politics aside, cuz I don't want to open that can of worms. What do you think about their music?
Old 03-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #16
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Hey, Borderstone. I really like Ronnie Milsap, too. He was quite popular a couple of decades ago, but I would imagine you were way to young to notice at the time. How about Eddie Rabbit? To bad he died at such a young age. He was a great performer.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #17
Cathy

Quote:
Originally posted by Gitchigumee:
Ronnie Milsap was/is incredible. I can't remember the cassette I had of his, but I wore it out. I aught to go get the CD. I think it was something about rain, but all I keep thinking is Early Morning Rain. I wonder why?

Borderstone, you seem to me like maybe a Dixie Chicks kind of guy. All politics aside, cuz I don't want to open that can of worms. What do you think about their music?
He had a hit called Smoky Mountain Rain. Is that the one?
Old 03-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #18
Gitchigumee

That's it! Smokey Mountain Rain, it was a great song, and a great album.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:47 PM   #19
Borderstone

Well starting off with the Dixie Chicks
(which I've heard some guys make jokes by taking the C-H and putting it on the 1st name
and then put the "D" on the second. ) I'll let you guys figure it out,but it's not very nice! :D

I think they're okay and I could care less about any singer or groups political stances. I'v neevr bought any Cd's though,so while their okay,I wouldn't go as far as buying any.

Cathy,no,I recall Ronnie Milsap very well. On the radio in '81 (age 13) I heard "There's No Gettin' Over Me" & "Any Day Now". In '82 then,"I Wouldn't Have Missed It For The World".

Our former local video channel,61, actually played the 1983 single,"Stranger In My House" video. First time I'd ever seen him and then knew he couldn't see.

This was his most popular time on the pop charts:

1977- It Was Almost Like a Song #16 (I have the LP).
1981-There's No Gettin' Over Me #5
1981-Smoky Mountain Rain #24 (Got this song last.)
1982-Any Day Now #14
1982-I Wouldn't Have Missed It For The World #20
1983-Stranger In My House #23

Just this past December,I collected all 6 of those hits.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:14 AM   #20
Jennifer

You'll not find any Garth Brooks or his fictitious rock star alter ego "Chris Gaines" (what the heck was that all about anyhow?) in this here CD collection. Enough said.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #21
Cathy

Borderstone, I have just about every Milsap recording known to man. He's right up there in my list of top tens.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #22
Dream Street Rose

So, Jennifer,

Who do like to listen to?
Old 03-26-2007, 06:25 PM   #23
Moosedog

I love Garth! Saw him in concert when he was at the peak of his career, and it was absolutely wild. An outdoor venue too; it was tons of fun!

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:38 PM   #24
Winter's Claw

I used to like Garth quite a bit. I still have his first six albums on CD in fact. However, Garth kind of rubs me the wrong way these days. He seems more concerned with marketing and album sales than with actual music. Come to think of it, he almost seems like the antithesis of a guy like Gordon Lightfoot. Whereas Gordon hardly concerns himself with the business end of his music, Garth is extremely conscious of the marketing and selling of his products. After Garth's fifth album, Fresh Horses failed to meet sales expectations, Garth blamed Capitol Records and the head of its country music division for not marketing it aggressively enough. The truth, however, which is obvious in hindsight, was that Garth's popularity had cooled off substantially by that point. The album sold millions; it just didn't sell as well as previous albums, which is a pretty silly thing to get upset over.

The exclusive sales arrangements he makes with Wal-Mart bother me, too. The purpose of those bargain-priced box sets he keeps putting out is actually to increase his unit sales with the RIAA. Garth is currently in third place in all-time album sales, behind Elvis and the Beatles. Every 6-CD box set he sells counts as six(!) units sold. Also, Brooks once refused to distribute copies of his new albums to stores that sold used CDs, because Garth does not get paid royalties when used CDs are sold--only new ones!

I don't mean to disrespect Garth fans with this rant; I like his music quite a bit. It's just that his hardcore businessman persona irks me a bit.
Winter's Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:27 PM   #25
Borderstone

Cathy,I'm not sure where I'd rank Milsap as one of my many favorite acts.

I don't think I'd even have the time now or patience to undertake such a list,even though I do them quite well,there's too many! :D

Let's just say if I did 200 he'd definetly be in there someplace. I just have 3 LPs.