banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
Dan

Default "Elvis Has Left The Building"

In recent years Gord's lead in to Early Morning Rain is a story about how when Elvis recorded the song he changed the words "can be" to "might be". He usually tells us to listen for it because he now sings it that way. He also relates the story of how he was asked to meet Elvis back stage at Buffalo's Memorial Auditorium after one of Elvis's concerts there. As the story goes, Gord and Rick Haynes are struggling to get back stage after the concert against thousands of people who are trying to exit the building. During their struggle they hear the ominous words; "Elvis Has Left the Building". In the interest of waterfront redevelopment, Buffalo's Memorial Auditorium is being torn down and all the "Elvis's" have now left the building never to return :-(
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0066.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	531.6 KB
ID:	2586  
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
jj

Default Re: "Elvis Has Left The Building"

wonderful post, dan (great Gord tie in) ...there must be a lot of emotion flowing through the town amongst those die hard Sabre fans especially...then again, i suppose it was about 15 years ago that all said their preliminary farewell

as soon as i got halfway through your post i started seeing images of perreault (was there a finer skater?), robert, martin...and of course, Tim Horton, i remember the fateful night he was driving back to toronto following a game at the aud

thanks for the memories ....rest in pieces
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
brink-

Thanks for the post JJ, I didn't know anything about Tim Horton until your post prompted me to look him up. Sad story, but what an ending about the two families merging.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
charlene

One of the Horton girls married the co-founders (Ron Joyce) son and have a coffee shop but the Horton heirs have none of the wealth. Their mum rec'd some money but she spent it on legal wrangling trying to get more money from Joyce. She argued she had been dependant on alcohol and drugs at the time of the agreement when he paid her for Tim's shares after he died. Sad story..
http://www.calgarysun.com/cgi-bin/pu...es&s=lifestyle

Hey Danno - is that the Auditorium we see from the highway when we leave the border crossing on the way to your place?
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:57 AM   #5
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
Thanks for the post JJ, I didn't know anything about Tim Horton until your post prompted me to look him up. Sad story, but what an ending about the two families merging.
glad it was helpful, cos my memory was all backwards...he was actually traveling back TO Buffalo from a game at Maple Leaf Gardens when he was killed in an automobile accident

char were just exchanging comments about Tim's a few weeks ago in that slumdog millionaire thread in Small Talk...i had unknowingly found myself in the flagship store for the first time...it sure was plain (which is how i like my donut )

i didnt' know anything about the family merges, so thanks right back at ya, gals

...i'd never been to the Aud...or the USA til fairly recently
Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
Jenney

Nassau Colisseum in Long Island, where Elvis performed his last concert, is being torn down sometime this year. My 20 year old, non-Elvis fan, goes to school right next door to it. She thinks since it was his last concert, the Colliseum should remain standing as a tribute.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
fezo

They're tearing it down already? Where are the Islanders going to play in the meantime?
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
Dan

Ah, yes JJ the "French Connection"... and many more hockey players who played there for many years. The roof was raised when the Sabres came into being in the early seventies to accommodate the demand for tickets. For years in the seventies it was almost impossible to get season tickets. The Aud has been dark for a number years already. In the picture below you can see the HSBC Arena to the left, the Auds replacement. Buffalo is in the midst of revitalizing it's waterfront. The Aud was going to become a giant Bass Pro Shop. If you want to see more pictures checkout:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dannoros...eat=directlink

Char the Aud is right where the Skyway and the 190 cross each other in downtown Buffalo. It is about 2 or 3 miles south on the 190 from the Peace Bridge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	102_0068.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	520.0 KB
ID:	2591  
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
jj

dan, didnt mean to overlook Gare and the wonderful Laf...hey, the only way most Leaf fans can see a game is to drive down the QEW to Buffalo when Leafs are in your town, and pick up an unsold ticket...MLG and ACC have been sold out for about 40 years (proving there atleast 18,000 mentally challenged folks living in Toronto!)

great pics floating around the net.... the Legends live on....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image3m.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	2593