banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #101
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: It's on!! BBC 4 - Lightfoot 1972 show

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
that link doesn't work.
see.. I still hate computers.
OOPs it was just my usual typo an extraneous "Y" got after the /.
Y I have No idea
try this
http://imgburn.com/
and print out the tutorial at
http://www.gromkov.com/faq/faq2004-0026.html 
How do I burn a video_ts (.bup and .ifo) folder to a watchable DVD?
Without computers none of this would be possible anyway
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #102
johnfowles

Quote:
oh yea - i tried imgburn along with the others last night...no go..
Strange it worked perfectly for me the very first time
try again after printing Mr Gromkov's tutorial
Old 03-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #103
charlene

I"ve printed about 9 pages of tutorials from different sites...
last one was good to go, got 3/4 of the way thru and up popped error messages...no can do..
I'll wait for my son to come over and see what the hell is wrong. I have a copy coming from someone else ... my son can try to see what he can to get it burned.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #104
RM

Quote:
I'll wait for my son to come over and see what the hell is wrong. I have a copy coming from someone else ... my son can try to see what he can to get it burned.
Amen. I think it's only fair that our computer savvy off springs assist us. We've done our share, and now it's up to them to stay abreast of the latest techno-breakthrough that occurs on a seemingly daily basis.

I don't need or want to know anymore.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #105
Auburn Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa J View Post
funny, i thought the same thing about those lips when i was watching the video....

Had to listen without watching - way too distracting. Sigh. Love hearing Nous Vivons Ensemble, Affair on Eighth Avenue and Miguel live, agree that SSOL is better without the choral addition. Other than Nick DeCaro's strings I can't think of many studio touches that improve the Lightfoot sound. Sigh (again)
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #106
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Annie View Post
Had to listen without watching - way too distracting. Sigh. Love hearing Nous Vivons Ensemble, Affair on Eighth Avenue and Miguel live, agree that SSOL is better without the choral addition. Other than Nick DeCaro's strings I can't think of many studio touches that improve the Lightfoot sound. Sigh (again)
i love your comment (and rm's about our descendants) and if you add Your Love's Return I'd say we're right in synch...i think beyond being Caps, we share a birthdate (as does spocksbrain) so that might explain mind's being under the same moon

appreciate all the geeksquad support in this thread and via pms...i haven't overcome the PAL issue regarding playing on tv/dvd setups but thanks to Mac dvd players supporting PAL, i've been able to enjoy the very high quality audio sourced from the audio_ts file taken from the torrents set...playing the youtube uploads is nice on the tv (via ps3 link) but it's far inferior, albeit still hugely (for lack of a better adj) satisfactory

houston/britain, we still have a problem...

ps) ok ladies, that's enough lip service for one thread, lol
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #107
redhead

Thank you to Moosedog for providing the link to youtube. Was finally able to watch it and boy, wasn't he sumthin'!

(The realization of that "bouncing baby boy" now being a 39 year old man has me feeling a bit old here.)

redhead
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #108
On Susan's Floor

Well, well, well..... a HUGE thank you to Moosedog for that '72 You Tube Concert.... if my math is correct, that young, handsome, HOT, man was a frisky 34 year old!!! It made me so painfully aware that time has passed us all by. I realize he is still spinning his web but to think he is now on the cover of Zoomer magazine!!!.... my, my.... his youth and my youth are indeed gone forever.... I remember back then how I thought as much as I was enamoured of his brilliance and gentle voice, what a male chauvinist pig he was!!! Memories of "That's What You Get for Lovin' Me" so for that reason my devotion was not complete. I figured he needed smartening up and along the way by gosh he did smarten up, after he broken a million hearts tho' I figure.... Enough said. Gord, still luv ya!!
On Susan's Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #109
fezo

Yowzer! Finally got to see and hear it on the Youtube link.

Some of those things I haven't heard live since that time frame.

I wish to heck they'd have caught Red with his fingers flying in tha part of the CRT - the whole "oh the songs of the future."... part. You can practically smell the smoke coming off those frets!

I remember the first time I saw them in Carnegie Hall he did an alternate Kristofferson song - Loving Her was Easier. I can still hear that.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #110
Same Old Loverman

Work keeps me busy and I haven't posted for a while, but I still check in daily to keep up with all the latest. This has been a year of lows and highs for sure; the low of course being the passing of Terry, and the high being this unbelievable BBC show from '72. Wow, what a treasure! This concert makes me realize how much more I enjoy Gordon in a sparse setting. As much as I respect and enjoy the full band sound, I also like hearing Gordon without all the layers, just two guitars and a bass sound so beautiful together. It seems to bring out the nuances of each song that much more. For me, music changed in the late 70's and early 80's when producers started adding synthesizers and such.
As for Soundstage 1973, I asked Rick one time about it, and he said he wasn't sure if video from that show even existed! You would think it would, but if it did I would have thought something would have surfaced by now. Then again, I never dreamed this full BBC concert would ever see the light of day- it almost seems too good to be true! But there it is: a complete concert from my favorite era (I love the rainbow jacket Gordon wears....I'm guessing Jerry Jeff Walker gave him the "other" jacket shortly after this).
By the way, I hate to ask, but I'm not really that technically saavy, and I'm not even sure my computer is even capable of downloading this concert, so if anyone would mind making me a copy on dvd (I just have a standard American dvd player) I would happily provide a self addressed stamped envelope, and cover any costs it would take to make a copy.
Same Old Loverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #111
Seven_Islands

Hey folks, have blogged on this (and Gord in general) here: http://uncle-unkool.blogspot.com/201...n-concert.html

Aimed more at the uninitiated than those on this forum, but have a read if ya fancy. :-)
Seven_Islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #112
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstranger View Post
Finally! I can't wait to see this, on BBC Four several times this coming week end:

A classic concert by Gordon Lightfoot from 1972, accompanied by Red Shea and Richard Haynes. They perform songs including Summer Side of Life, Saturday Clothes, That's What You Get For Loving Me, Affair on 8th Avenue, If I Could Read Your Mind, Steel Rail Blues, Ten Degrees and Getting Colder, Early Morning Rain, Me and Bobby McGee, Minstrel of the Dawn and Canadian Pacific Trilogy.
Lucky, lucky you! I hope it was as good as I think it was.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #113
2silent2breal

Very good thread, took me a long while to catch up. I finished downloading the torrent last night and watched Summer Side of Life-will save the rest for sometime this weekend when I can watch the whole thing. Amazing, and I enjoyed the interesting verses.

Besides burning a DVD, another option is to extract the file to an mp4 so it can be played on the computer, iPod, iPad, phone, or whatever portable media player you have. The free program Handbrake (Mac or Windows)will extract a variety of files from a DVD in that fashion. Just set the source as the folder containing the Video_TS file and tell it to start. It takes a while, so I usually do these overnight or while I am at work.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #114
Phillip_Hartley

Hi folks. I'm new here. Does anyone know where I can find a torrent download of the show please?
Phillip_Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #115
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip_Hartley View Post
Hi folks. I'm new here. Does anyone know where I can find a torrent download of the show please?
Yes Easy Peasy
If you had kept reading this thread long enough you would have reached a posting by blackberry John at:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showpost.p...8&postcount=35
He had found a torrent on dime so if you can or are a membeer there you can get the dvd files torrent
Or if you are already a member of Hungercity it is there also
Old 03-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #116
Phillip_Hartley

Thank you. I'm not a member of either. I'm downloading it from YouTube via Real Player right now. I only joined the forum about an hour ago :=)
Old 03-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #117
Phillip_Hartley

Oh yes! Thank you so much. I'm downloading it right now. :=)
Old 03-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #118
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
OOPs it was just my usual typo an extraneous "Y" got after the /.
Y I have No idea
try this
http://imgburn.com/
and print out the tutorial at
http://www.gromkov.com/faq/faq2004-0026.html 
How do I burn a video_ts (.bup and .ifo) folder to a watchable DVD?
Without computers none of this would be possible anyway
the second link leads to a link and page that isn't there anymore..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #119
Don Quixote

This is a great find--many, many, many thanks.

A couple of questions/observations.

Are you sure this is from 1972, not 1971? I ask because there is no beard (DQ was released in '72), but especially because he mentions that SSOL had not been released yet (it was a '71 release), and the explanation about Me and Bobby McGee would have been superfluous by '72, given the huge success of the Janis Joplln hit.

It is wonderful to see Red Shea at his peak--never any effort, always the satisfied little smile of someone who knows that he's a master...Terry was wonderful, God rest his soul, but Red helped define the Lightfoot sound.

The amount of material from IYCRRM and SSOL really shows the contrast between the two albums. In spite of the fact that in SSOL GL started to stretch out a bit thematically and musically, IYCRRM is just ...x...(fill in the number) times the better album. The fact that SSOL comes between IYCRRM and DQ, two of the best ever, really makes it seem like a "placeholder"--it's OK, but really one of the weaker albums. And the fact that it's one of the lesser-commented albums on Corfid underlines my point. Feel free to start hurling the tomatoes..

Best to all,
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #120
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post

Are you sure this is from 1972, not 1971?

IYCRRM is just ...x...(fill in the number) times the better album

x = 1/2

lol

i've lost objectivity in rating GL albums but as far as individual songs standing the test of time in my relentless playlist goes, there are 3 surviving off of IYCRMM (the title track, MOTD and YLR) and 5 off SSOL (Miguel, Cabaret, LAMS, TIYS and NVE...his live vocal of this interesting melody is stellar)

as earlier noted in this thread, it's not a 1972 concert...and per www.lightfoot.ca

"Gordon Lightfoot In Concert" aired on January 22, 1972 at 11 PM. It was actually taped in the spring of 1971 before Summer Side Of Life was released.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #121
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezo View Post
I wish to heck they'd have caught Red with his fingers flying in tha part of the CRT - the whole "oh the songs of the future."... part. You can practically smell the smoke coming off those frets!
again, hard to complain BUT i think the producer/editor just couldn't get enough of Gord's face (and lips, lol) OR must have thought those solos and licks were coming from Rick's bass or Gord's fretboard...it's mindnumbing as to what could have been

we do get one small victory when they show Red's work (without being blocked by Gord's hands or guitar neck) for 20 glorious seconds during For Lovin' Me

if I were to play one clip for a newbie, I would play the For Lovin' Me/Did She Mention My Name one...the trio are top form and the producer is on his game

no slight to Rick but i'd have liked to see this angle for about 50% of the show

ahhh, the Yellow Bird has risen from the ashes....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gord red 1971.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	4180  
Old 03-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #122
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2silent2breal View Post
Besides burning a DVD, another option is to extract the file to an mp4 so it can be played on the computer, iPod, iPad, phone, or whatever portable media player you have. The free program Handbrake (Mac or Windows)will extract a variety of files from a DVD in that fashion. Just set the source as the folder containing the Video_TS file and tell it to start. It takes a while, so I usually do these overnight or while I am at work.
well, that worked incredibly easy when i set the source as the 2 VOB files rather than the folder containing them

using the iPhone earbuds (my headphones with 1/8" jack don't seem compatible with Apple, don't it figure) and viewing that Retina display screen is mindboggling quality...especially considering this came across the ocean electronically via some wee torrents file that in turn triggered 2 GB of data then traveled across a cord to the mobile device in less than a minute

...when you think of so many of us sourcing then making the multigenerational VHS tape copies and packaging and postage and WAITING time for a slew of Gord bootlegs and old tv performances, well, it's kneebuckling that we've come this far...newbies cannot appreciate it, i suppose, but many will know what i mean

thanks for the Handshake tip 2silent2breal and doug

btw, cheap fun = plug in guitar to iPhone using iRig then launch Amplitude
Old 03-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #123
fezo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
x = 1/2

lol
2/5 maybe.

SSOL is a great album. It didn't have any hits on it but it has just some outstanding songs. You have to forgive some wacky production - take a potato and the ya ya girls....
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #124
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug

Just in case anyone is struggling with converting to NTSC I was able to do it and the results are quite satisfactory. If you want info you can contact me via PM
Old 03-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #125
2silent2breal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
...when you think of so many of us sourcing then making the multigenerational VHS tape copies and packaging and postage and WAITING time for a slew of Gord bootlegs and old tv performances, well, it's kneebuckling that we've come this far...newbies cannot appreciate it, i suppose, but many will know what i mean
I recently came across a plastic container full of Maxell points-used to get a free tape for every ten points collected. Of course, totally useless now.

-Mark