banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-23-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug

Hi,

after lurking around for quite a while, I finally managed to register...

I'm originally from Germany and moved to the States almost five years ago - my husbands job brought us here. First Pittsburgh and now we're living in the Twin Cities. But even after five years, my english still isn't quite flawless, so I better appologize right away

I have to admit, I just discovered Lightfoots music two years ago - when I picked up the guitar and was looking for some nice music... But: Ever since I'm hooked! There's hardly one day without his music. It seems, I can't get tired of it. So I was real happy to find this forum here and to see - I'm not alone!
I wish I could have come to Toronto and meet you guys. I just was there three weeks ago - to renew our visa - what a bad timing but we couldn't manage to come later.

But, last week I got four first row tickets for Seven Springs. I'll meet some Pittsburgher friends there. Is anybody from this group coming as well? It would be great, to finally meet some of you.

Claudia
Old 05-23-2005, 09:45 PM   #2
Claudia

Send a message via MSN to Claudia

Hi,

after lurking around for quite a while, I finally managed to register...

I'm originally from Germany and moved to the States almost five years ago - my husbands job brought us here. First Pittsburgh and now we're living in the Twin Cities. But even after five years, my english still isn't quite flawless, so I better appologize right away

I have to admit, I just discovered Lightfoots music two years ago - when I picked up the guitar and was looking for some nice music... But: Ever since I'm hooked! There's hardly one day without his music. It seems, I can't get tired of it. So I was real happy to find this forum here and to see - I'm not alone!
I wish I could have come to Toronto and meet you guys. I just was there three weeks ago - to renew our visa - what a bad timing but we couldn't manage to come later.

But, last week I got four first row tickets for Seven Springs. I'll meet some Pittsburgher friends there. Is anybody from this group coming as well? It would be great, to finally meet some of you.

Claudia
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:42 PM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Claudia:
Hi,

Toronto and meet you guys. I just was there three weeks ago - to renew our visa - what a bad timing but we couldn't manage to come later.

Claudia
Welcome Claudia
I would not worry too much about any flaws in your English the fact that you are a Lighthead is far more important.
How come you had to renew your ([presumably US) visa in Toronto??
As I recently asked in another topic of one of two German members posting here, I was wondering why it appears that Gord is still very popular in Germany. Any ideas??
In any case I expect your English is a darn sight more accomplished than the "german" of an Australian poster here (young
Mende Joveski), who recently added this fine example of German technospeak to an email
--------------------------------------------------
ACHTUNG!!!!!!

ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS!

...Dies Machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mitten-graben.
Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowen fusen und poppen
corken mit spitzensparken. Is nicht fur gewerken by das
dummkopfen. Das rubber necken sightseerers keepen das mitts in
das pockets - relaxen und watchen das blinken lights
OK now to comment and reply to your topic on the Seven Springs concert
to which Susan and I decided not to attend but settled for the previous two in PA at Glenside and Reading
However I noted that Brian aka Iron posted January 28, 2005 15:55 to:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...=002941#000000
that he had booked rooms there
He also contributed with details of the 7 Springs hotel at:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...=002856#000025
John fowles in NJ
I've been all around the town and still I do not understand
Is it me or is it you or the shadow of a dream
(from.. after seeing Gord do this song proud several times recently my current number one gordsong)
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:42 PM   #4
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Claudia:
Hi,

Toronto and meet you guys. I just was there three weeks ago - to renew our visa - what a bad timing but we couldn't manage to come later.

Claudia
Welcome Claudia
I would not worry too much about any flaws in your English the fact that you are a Lighthead is far more important.
How come you had to renew your ([presumably US) visa in Toronto??
As I recently asked in another topic of one of two German members posting here, I was wondering why it appears that Gord is still very popular in Germany. Any ideas??
In any case I expect your English is a darn sight more accomplished than the "german" of an Australian poster here (young
Mende Joveski), who recently added this fine example of German technospeak to an email
ACHTUNG!!!!!!

ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS!

...Dies Machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mitten-graben.
Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowen fusen und poppen
corken mit spitzensparken. Is nicht fur gewerken by das
dummkopfen. Das rubber necken sightseerers keepen das mitts in
das pockets - relaxen und watchen das blinken lights
OK now to comment and reply to your topic on the Seven Springs concert
to which Susan and I decided not to attend but settled for the previous two in PA at Glenside and Reading
However I noted that Brian aka Iron posted January 28, 2005 15:55 to:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...=002941#000000
that he had booked rooms there
He also contributed with details of the 7 Springs hotel at:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...=002856#000025
John fowles in NJ
I've been all around the town and still I do not understand
Is it me or is it you or the shadow of a dream
(from.. after seeing Gord do this song proud several times recently my current number one gordsong)
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:48 PM   #5
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug

Hi John,

thanks for the warm welcome, I'm really happy that I found this forum. And I had a blast when I read that "technogerman" - it sure wasn't easy to understand, even for a native...
I'm not even quite sure, if Gordon is still very popular in Germany. At least all of my friends there have usually no clue when I mention his name. The only one who knew immediately, was my Dad, he actually had the "If you could read my mind" LP somewhere - got it from his sister who lives in Oregon decades ago. For me it wasn't until two years ago that I became a "Lighthead", already living in Pittsburgh. One day I was just browsing through the CD rows and my eye somehow stopped when I read the name Gordon Lightfoot. Funny, isn't it? It was the "Greatest hits" collection I bought first and just couldn't stop listening to it. So in the next couple of months - or was it weeks???, I bought every other available CD. I never ever had this before, I can listen to him all day long and still don't feel it's enough. Oh well, I'm rambling...
Our Toronto Trip was indeed to renew our US Visa. Two years ago it was just enough to send in our paperwork and passport and a couple of weeks later we got it back. Now the law changed and everybody has to show his nose in person at an embassy. The closest for us was Toronto, so off we went - unfortunately three weeks to early. But I sure plan to be there next year. For now I'm just looking forward to the PA concert.
Claudia
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:48 PM   #6
Claudia

Send a message via MSN to Claudia

Hi John,

thanks for the warm welcome, I'm really happy that I found this forum. And I had a blast when I read that "technogerman" - it sure wasn't easy to understand, even for a native...
I'm not even quite sure, if Gordon is still very popular in Germany. At least all of my friends there have usually no clue when I mention his name. The only one who knew immediately, was my Dad, he actually had the "If you could read my mind" LP somewhere - got it from his sister who lives in Oregon decades ago. For me it wasn't until two years ago that I became a "Lighthead", already living in Pittsburgh. One day I was just browsing through the CD rows and my eye somehow stopped when I read the name Gordon Lightfoot. Funny, isn't it? It was the "Greatest hits" collection I bought first and just couldn't stop listening to it. So in the next couple of months - or was it weeks???, I bought every other available CD. I never ever had this before, I can listen to him all day long and still don't feel it's enough. Oh well, I'm rambling...
Our Toronto Trip was indeed to renew our US Visa. Two years ago it was just enough to send in our paperwork and passport and a couple of weeks later we got it back. Now the law changed and everybody has to show his nose in person at an embassy. The closest for us was Toronto, so off we went - unfortunately three weeks to early. But I sure plan to be there next year. For now I'm just looking forward to the PA concert.
Claudia
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:42 PM   #7
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Welcome, Claudia!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote