banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-04-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
srqsting

Default If You Could Read My Mind

Does anyone have any idea where or how I could obtain the sheet music for the violin piece in "If You Could Read My Mind"?
srqsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:21 AM   #2
jj

Default Re: If You Could Read My Mind

never heard an interesting request like this, wish i could assist
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
charlene

I would imagine that either Lightfoot/EMP or the violinist would possibly still have it..

a letter to EMP might help..

Mr. G. Lightfoot
c/o
Early Morning Productions
1365 Yonge St. #207
Toronto, Ontario
M4T 2P7
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
srqsting

Thanks for the information regarding EMP.....I will write and see if they can assist. Senior member, just fyi, I am a violin student and as tough an instrument as it is to learn and play, I find that trying to learn music that I recognize and love to hear is great inspiration. The piece in the song is very powerful and something I would love to be able to play along with.
srqsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

I'm afraid that the violin part was likely played by a Warner session musician, and it is highly unlikely that Lightfoot or EMP have the sheet music for it. What you need is a very talented musician with a good ear, who also plays violin, who can listen and write it down for you. In fact, you might ask your teacher as a starting point.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
jj

i didn't realize your aim was to play along with the record (but yes, that's a fun way to learn)

i am not a big fan of added string arrangements to any music (GL or Beatles, etc) so never really listened intently before...I called up one of the vistory videos (this one has an unusual visual pace)

and listened and once you have the key there is not a lot to figure out because they are predominantly single note counter melody unless you want to blend in harmony notes on a few runs...that would take some talent...if i had midi (not into it) I would play the part (I'd recommend Heff's arrangment instead ) and the latest modest scoring software would automatically put it down for you...there is also software that could sample out the strings and do the same but what fun is that, lol...I don't read or write music much but if I had the patience I could score the notes atleast but the timing would be wrong as I don't know how to represent a 1/32 note vs. a 1/4 or even a whole note

if you learn your scales, you may soon be playing by ear

i think it's a great idea to play some arrangements from the AC or pop genre, there are so many...my elder bro and sis's gave up instruments because all they learned was Royal Conservatory stuff...you might like to get the Lightfoot karaoke music that's out there and play along with that instead....you could start by accompanying the backing music then add the lead vocal later

keep 'fiddling' around and it should come to you in time, good luck

note: i do have an inherited violin in the basement, it hurts my fingers and moreso my EARS when i try play it...I'm no Anne Lindsay, lol...I'd really love to learn the cello...maybe I could be an Ofra one day

ps) I know who you should summon here: cathy cowette

ps2) the last time I saw a string section playing along to IYCRMM was when a few Canadian Idol contestants have sung the tune over the years...they were looking at sheet music of some sort...there is a contact e-mail addy at their site but it would be a long shot to think they could or would dig up that score

Last edited by jj; 09-07-2008 at 02:15 PM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote