banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
Auburn Annie

Default Lightfoot makes strong return

Lightfoot makes strong return
Posted By JOHN SWARTZ, SPECIAL TO THE PACKET AND TIMES
Posted 2 hours ago
http://www.orilliapacket.com/Article...aspx?e=2178893

Gordon Lightfoot's workout regimen is working. His performance Sunday night was the strongest I've heard from him in years, well, since 2002.

He walked onto the stage to applause and started right in.

The stage looked fantastic. Eight triangular pieces of cloth were suspended vertically with wide ends alternating. They were pleated so the lighting could play of them creating some great effects.

In the second half, the colour scheme of the lighting changed, as did Lightfoot's attire.

In the first half, he wore a red jacket that, from the back row, looked like a waistcoat with sleeves. He looked like he was about to sit down for Masterpiece Theatre and introduce a movie. In part two he just wore a burgundy vest against his black shirt that stated to me -- I came to play.

The soundscape was understated, as is usual for a Lightfoot concert. I don't know anyone ever went to see him perform, expecting to get their ears pinned back. That did mean the band had to really play lightly, except on the rockier tunes.

Lightfoot seemed to be full of energy. He is not known to be verbose on stage, keeping the banter to the necessary to introduce some of the tunes.

He did, however, thank the audience for coming to the Opera House on a Sunday night for the second of two concerts.

"I won't play on Friday the 13th," he said.

He mixed in the radio hits with some of the less well-known tunes. The latter is relative, the sold out audience knew all of them.

He closed out set one with a string of hits, Beautiful, Cotton Jenny, and Alberta Bound.

In the second set he seemed to be even more energized and in good humour, even telling a few jokes, good ones too.

He started with a big one, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. He followed up with a story about meeting Bruce Springsteen at Massey Hall following a concert, saying Springsteen really performs a lot of very slow tunes, so Lightfoot felt it was OK to do a few. He then did Ringneck Loon, which is slow, but the words put you firmly in the Muskokas.

In retrospect, that is what makes seeing Lightfoot in concert special. As in Painter Passing Through (from the first set) a term he uses to describe himself on the journey of life, he uses words so effectively you can put yourself in the places he sings about, in the moods he's emoting.

That is nowhere more evident than in Canadian Railroad Trilogy. Each time I hear Lightfoot sing this song, the pictures become stronger. It's speaks about Canada more than any other song. It could be Canada's other National Anthem.

Coming at the end of the second set, it leaves one drained and satisfied. It is a fitting ending.

Just before starting an encore, someone yelled out happy Birthday, and the audience broke into the song, which left Lightfoot a little speechless, preferring to have his band stand up and take a bow, rather than himself.

If Lightfoot's health remains, it's a good bet we'll be seeing him again on stage at the Opera House.
Article ID# 2178893
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
brink-

Default Re: Lightfoot makes strong return

That is a fantastic review. I like that he interjects his own feelings and thoughts about the concert. I realize it may be a bit candy coated, but you know I can very easily over look the few tunes that aren't perfect because there are so many that are. Reviewers that only look at the negative in a concert aren't worth the paper they are printed on and it lessens the meaning of their words.
This guy "gets it".
Thanks Annie, I don't know how you have time with the wedding so close to search for these gems for us. But keep it up.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
podunklander

Very nice review and very well written . Thanks for sharing this Annie!

Oh but I do believe the 'meeting Bruce Springsteen' occurrence took place in Ohio
Old 11-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
Borderstone

Awe-Some!!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
talbot10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
That is a fantastic review. I like that he interjects his own feelings and thoughts about the concert. I realize it may be a bit candy coated, but you know I can very easily over look the few tunes that aren't perfect because there are so many that are. Reviewers that only look at the negative in a concert aren't worth the paper they are printed on and it lessens the meaning of their words.
This guy "gets it".
Thanks Annie, I don't know how you have time with the wedding so close to search for these gems for us. But keep it up.
I am with you Deb. This was a good review! Thanks Annie for posting.
Bill
Old 11-18-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
Jesse Joe

Just saw this & it is one of the most positve reviews that I've read for the past couple of months, thanks for sharing it Annie.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:23 AM   #7
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Annie View Post
... he just wore a burgundy vest against his black shirt that stated to me -- I came to play
a loud grin washed over my face when i read that line

thank you and good luck with the big day...i always asks this: what is their song and/or first dance song and what is the father/daughter or mother/son dance?
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
charlene

it was a dark burgundy vest and dark burgundy shirt...same outfit since his Hamilton comeback shows..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
Auburn Annie

jj - I have no idea what their music is going to be. The DJ is coming on Friday afternoon to go over it with my daughter but I'm at the hairdresser at that time, so I guess I'll have to report back later, lol. Personally I've always liked the Clint & Lisa Hartman Black song "When I Said I Do."
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
GJA

A great review. So glad when people really appreciate him...like we do!!
Old 12-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
brink-

Annie,
Has the wedding happened yet? Are there details?
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
Annie,
Has the wedding happened yet? Are there details?
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20460
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote