banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2003, 02:11 PM   #1
endlesswire78

No one has mentioned "Something Very Special" I always since I bought UA collection back in high school, skip past that song, I don't like the delayed guitar part. I used to not like "May I" but now I do listen to that one, "Did She Mention My Name" is probably my favorite UA album. Only other song I don't like is "Never Say Trust Me" from songbook. He should have kept that one unreleased. "Canary Yellow Canoe" kind of reminds me of CCR's "Travelin Band" but I think its an ok song to jam to. Just wanted to post this. Also to drift off topic, I think "Hotel California" is the worst song the Eagles ever did. Anyone else agree?
Old 11-29-2003, 04:42 PM   #2
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by endlesswire78:
Only other song I don't like is "Never Say Trust Me" from songbook. He should have kept that one unreleased....Also to drift off topic, I think "Hotel California" is the worst song the Eagles ever did. Anyone else agree?

No, no, no on both counts. I *love* "Never Say Trust Me" ['the sky above is filled with stars, the road is long, no cars are in sight; with one hand on the wheel I've been driving all day, I can drive all night...' - sets the mood right there]. As for "Hotel California" the album was on the charts for 107 weeks and the title track for 19 weeks, including a spot at #1 - all those listeners and buyers can't be THAT wrong. I even like the live, "When Hell Freezes Over" concert version. Each tohis or her own taste, I guess.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 12:11 PM   #3
DMD3

I don't like 'Something Very Special' due to the noisy guitar sound it makes during the entire song. I kind of like the tune he sings though(Only have the version on Songbook).
Old 12-02-2003, 07:54 PM   #4
endlesswire78

yes it is too noisy i think for Gord, it drowns out his voice, one other song I forgot to mention, is "Fine As Fine Can Be" good song but not one of my favorites, always skip past that one on COTS to listen to "Cherokee Bend" one of my favorites
Old 12-03-2003, 08:05 AM   #5
DMD3

I used to think 'Rainy Day People' was boring until you find yourself in that situation and then you'll wish the song would go on for 10 minutes.(Trust me, I know)

[This message has been edited by DMD3 (edited December 03, 2003).]
Old 12-03-2003, 05:20 PM   #6
Borderstone

EW78 and DMD3,are you guys,like,out of your minds or somethin'??!!

Something Very Special is incredible! Especially when you consider the era this song was written and recorded in. It's overall mood is romantic & serious,yet it's somehow kind of tranquil as well. (...and I don't mean tranquilizer!)
I thought so much of it,I saved it for one of the last songs on my own self recorded collection. (I put it right before The Way I Feel,Electric Version).

Canary Yellow Canoe,as I've said,sounds like Chuck Berry's,"Roll Over Beethoven." I can see what you guys are talking about though.

Lastly,you are 100% nuts saying,"Never Say Trust Me" isn't all that. Listen to it again,I say. This is great songwriting and it should have been included on which ever LP it was intended for. I really feel an artist should release everything they record.
I don't get why you'd want to hide it away.

Anyhow. It's been me. Later!

------------------
Borderstone (Hello! )

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited December 03, 2003).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 05:42 PM   #7
Borderstone

No one has mentioned "Something Very Special" I always since I bought UA collection back in high school, skip past that song, I don't like the delayed guitar part. I used to not like "May I" but now I do listen to that one, "Did She Mention My Name" is probably my favorite UA album. Only other song I don't like is "Never Say Trust Me" from songbook. He should have kept that one unreleased. "Canary Yellow Canoe" kind of reminds me of CCR's "Travelin Band" but I think its an ok song to jam to. Just wanted to post this.

/Also to drift off topic, I think "Hotel California" is the worst song the Eagles ever did. Anyone else agree?
/ Don't even get me started on Hotel California! You guys were nary a gleam in your parents eyes when that came out. It not only sold millions in albums and singles....it also reflects the times as they were and not perceived to be. Disco was fun to dance to but it had no meaning as far as what the climate of the 1970's were like. I was just about 9 when it came out and have loved it ever since. Maybe if you completely understood all that the album is about,you'd change your tune. One can only hope and I'm sure you know I mean no offense to you by my reply. Later!

------------------
Borderstone (Hello! )

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited December 03, 2003).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:30 PM   #8
Brian 57

Also to drift off topic, I think "Hotel California" is the worst song the Eagles ever did. Anyone else agree?

Betcha know most of the words, though!
Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 08:03 AM   #9
DMD3

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Borderstone:
[B]EW78 and DMD3,are you guys,like,out of your minds or somethin'??!!

Something Very Special is incredible! Especially when you consider the era this song was written and recorded in. It's overall mood is romantic & serious,yet it's somehow kind of tranquil as well.

I must say that it's happened again. A song that I didn't like has captured me once more. 'Something Very Special' is pretty good when it gets into the song a bit more and those annoying loud strings die down. Without that and Gords singing, it sounds like the kind of music they play over the speaker when your shopping at the store.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:16 AM   #10
Gaby

I'm afraid I dive for the CD player when The Auctioneer comes on. If I miss, I then have to sit, listening in gruesome fascination, to his technique.
Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 12:35 AM   #11
Brian 57

Gaby,

I'm afraid I have to agree. I've heard the song done live by a small time country bar band, and I know some professional auctioneers. It seems as if Gord is apologetic for asking for money with the call.

"Cogito ergo Huh?" (I think, therefore I don't know)
Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 10:07 AM   #12
Gaby

I know. It's strange, isn't it, Brian?
Dream Street Rose is such a pensive album, you wonder why they stuck this on the very end. It really breaks my mood.
Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 05:32 PM   #13
endlesswire78

Borderstone, I like every other Eagles song except that one. Victim Of Love was on the Hotel California Album and that's a good song. Just don't get why everyone seems to think "Hotel California" is so great. Also to add to the other response; yes i do know all the words. One other fact is, I know that I think it was Don Felder, played the song live with his white Gibson double-neck. The intro is played on the 12string with the capo at the 7th fret. Maybe nice to warm up with but again, not one of my favortite songs.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:30 PM   #14
ky fan

I would rank "Never Say Trust Me" as my favorite of the 16 previously unreleased songs on "Songbook." I think the lyrics are very strong and GL is in great voice when this was recorded. I wonder why Kenny Rogers decided not to record it? "Stone Cold Sober" is another of the unreleased songs that I really like a lot.