banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
charlene

Default Memories of Lightfoot-San Diego Reader

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2...ine-ones-mind/
The Jasmine in One's Mind - John Brizzolara
more of article at link.

Ah, Gordon Lightfoot and “Sundown.” Good memories. Our band once opened for him at the McCarter Theatre at Princeton University in New Jersey; 1974, it was. Gordon was getting loaded backstage and was willing to share the Seagram’s. Our band’s front man (with the record contract) forbade us to indulge and was shaking his head in disgust at Lightfoot’s intoxication and predicting a disastrous headliner’s set. During our performance of the oldie “I Remember You,” Lightfoot staggered onstage with a pair of sound technician’s headphones on and began to dance behind us with surprising grace to applause from the audience. When it came time for him to go on with two other musicians, we expected him to, quite literally, fall on his face, but he swaggered rather than staggered to the microphone and performed brilliantly as well as, it seemed for all the world, soberly.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
TC

Default Re: Memories of Lightfoot-San Diego Reader

Sounds like Gord is (was) a man who could handle his booze. I begin to slur at the middle of my second glass of Chardonnay.
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
brink-

I sure can't see a resemblance to Cat Stevens...

Would be great to see a video of Gord dancing in the background.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Auburn Annie

other than the Gord paragraph that was an exercise in wasting space; personally I enjoy going back over the music of (ye gads) 40 years ago - though I draw the line at bubblegum music. Anyone ever see the special (Ovation maybe? Biography?) on The Monkees? Stream-of-consciousness here, bubblegum music (the Archies) leading to The Monkees - same producer, Don Kirschner. I liked the Monkees, including the post-Kirschner records. Still a little smoldering resentment on DK's part if the show was anything to go by (sort of "I made them, they were nothing before or after me, blah blah blah" stuff. MY hand was itching to smack him one through the screen, can't imagine working with an ego that sucked the oxygen out of every room he was in.

I think the Cat Stevens reference was more to the general style of music than any direct comparison with Gord.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
patybear

To Brink-I enjoyed your link to the rescue site.What a bunch of cuties.I wish I could adopt a dog,but I don't think my cat would tolerate one(spoiled? You bet!).Thats not to say I don't love the cat,I do(she got out of my apartment this past August,and I was bawling like a baby when it happened.After looking for her for the rest of the day,and until dark,she came home the next morning).
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
brink-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Annie View Post
I think the Cat Stevens reference was more to the general style of music than any direct comparison with Gord.
The writer was referring to himself resembling Cat Stevens when he was in Amsterdam.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:08 AM   #7
brink-

Quote:
Originally Posted by patybear View Post
To Brink-I enjoyed your link to the rescue site.What a bunch of cuties.I wish I could adopt a dog,but I don't think my cat would tolerate one(spoiled? You bet!).Thats not to say I don't love the cat,I do(she got out of my apartment this past August,and I was bawling like a baby when it happened.After looking for her for the rest of the day,and until dark,she came home the next morning).
patybear

Aw, Patty even cats deserve to be spoiled. Glad she knew her way home, it is scary when they are missing.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 AM   #8
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

my 4 cats tolerate my 2 dogs.... in fact, one of my cats "owns" one of my dogs. The 100 lb lab endures a daily once over by the 10 lb cat. Every cat needs a dog!
as for the cat getting out, that is scary. we lost one for a week once. The kids cried and cried, as did the other cats. So we did what I always seem to do, I got another cat. Guess who came home the next morning! The wandering kitty was none to pleased that she had a replacement model in house! I am glad your cat came home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patybear View Post
I wish I could adopt a dog,but I don't think my cat would tolerate one(spoiled? You bet!).Thats not to say I don't love the cat,I do(she got out of my apartment this past August,and I was bawling like a baby when it happened.After looking for her for the rest of the day,and until dark,she came home the next morning).
patybear
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
David

As both a cat and dog lover, I've been through the same feelings when one would go missing. At the moment we have one cat, and he is strictly indoors. We even go so far as to ensure he is afraid of the outdoors, as he will occasionally decide that making a break for it might be a good idea. And as any animal lover may know, the words "cat" and having a "good idea" don't usually mix between their ears!

When I was a kid, it was considered ok to have outdoor cats in quiet neighbourhoods. That's no longer considered wise, and I'm grateful. Our family had too many go missing and the heartbreak was awful.

Awesome website Brink; I'm proud of you!

-- David
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

Awesome website Brink
two wonderful sites...one good woman
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
brink-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
two wonderful sites...one good woman
Gee. I feel like I have a fan club! Thanks guys. I am just doing what I have always wanted to do, I am very lucky.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
I am just doing what I have always wanted to do, I am very lucky.
That's why it works so well. It's from the heart.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
Auburn Annie

We've had two happy endings re lost pets this week. My nephew's ex-girlfriend's mother's (got that?) Jack Russell terrier got lost on Sunday, but was found again on Wednesday. I think it helped that she had posters plastered all over town immediately, from the car wash to Tim Horton AND Dunkin Donuts.

And the kids two doors down lost their black kitty, Muffin, sometime on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. The white one (Snowflake) came home but Muffin didn't. As my dog HATES cats - having been attacked by a pair when he was a puppy - I always know when his "CAT!" alarm goes off, lol. And Muffin likes to torment poor Samson by sauntering right in front of him on our front porch when the dog can't get him from behind the front window glass. Anyway, we'd already looked in the yard, under deck stairs and in the garage but told the kids to look again. Not there but, as it turned out, he'd holed up in the neighbor's double garage - they could hear him mewing to get out. Tears all around as Muffin was carried home, cold and hungry but okay.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #14
brink-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Annie View Post
We've had two happy endings re lost pets this week. My nephew's ex-girlfriend's mother's (got that?) Jack Russell terrier got lost on Sunday, but was found again on Wednesday. I think it helped that she had posters plastered all over town immediately, from the car wash to Tim Horton AND Dunkin Donuts.

And the kids two doors down lost their black kitty, Muffin, sometime on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. The white one (Snowflake) came home but Muffin didn't. As my dog HATES cats - having been attacked by a pair when he was a puppy - I always know when his "CAT!" alarm goes off, lol. And Muffin likes to torment poor Samson by sauntering right in front of him on our front porch when the dog can't get him from behind the front window glass. Anyway, we'd already looked in the yard, under deck stairs and in the garage but told the kids to look again. Not there but, as it turned out, he'd holed up in the neighbor's double garage - they could hear him mewing to get out. Tears all around as Muffin was carried home, cold and hungry but okay.

I love happy endings!! They were very lucky with the cat - we have so many hungry coyotes out here, they usually don't make it back home.