banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-16-2004, 01:17 PM   #1
Martin/12

All this talk about tribute bands has made me curious. Are any of you living in Cenral Ohio?
Martin/12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:18 PM   #2
Martin/12

That's Central Ohio.
Martin/12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 11:09 PM   #3
gwen snyder

I live in somewhat central Ohio, if you edge towards the nor'east.
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 11:26 AM   #4
SomewhereupinMichigan

Yes, I also live in cenral Ohio, if you edge toward the n'west...and keep edging...until you reach cenral Michigan!
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 10:38 PM   #5
gwen snyder

exactly, Somewhere up in michigan! I was just listening to DSR and specifically, on the High Seas when I read this comment by you. "Was it somewhere in Michigan/ on the Lake of the Woods" line, is there such a place in Michigan? I know there are these places in Oh and Il, but, I was not sure about Mi.. I thought you lived more up the Traverse City way.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:50 PM   #6
gwen snyder

But, if you are lookin for a travelin tribute band talk to Cathy and Val. When you guys get this band thing together and you have a get together I would love to come and applaud because this martin my dad left me is wonderful to listen to, but, I am slow at learning to play it. I can do some of the finger strumming and picking if I go slowly, ah it's a work in progress, kinda like this road that's a few miles away from heres, they have had many problems with construction inadequacy and then funding due to other projects bumping the road off the "important list", so, being the wise guys a local church group put up one of those signs about God speaking to us, it said "...and if you don't start listening to my word I will delay the road work even longer" (I guess you had to be there, huh?). Whoops, my message wordiness length was just exceeded!
Bye
Old 01-19-2004, 12:46 AM   #7
brink

Gwen, there is a Lake of the Woods in Northern Minnesota.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 10:54 AM   #8
SomewhereupinMichigan

quote:Originally posted by gwen snyder:
exactly, Somewhere up in michigan! I was just listening to DSR and specifically, on the High Seas when I read this comment by you. "Was it somewhere in Michigan/ on the Lake of the Woods" line, is there such a place in Michigan? I know there are these places in Oh and Il, but, I was not sure about Mi.. I thought you lived more up the Traverse City way.

Gwen: While you won't find it listed as a location on the state highway map, there is a place here in Michigan referred to as "Lake of the Woods." I wouldn't be surprised that most every state and province have one!

I'm not in the T.C. area at all. I reside in mid-Michigan between Flint, Lansing and Saginaw. But I do have a "summer" place on Houghton Lake which is the large inland lake right in the north-central part of the state near where highways I-75 and US-27 merge together. The Lake of the Woods that I know of is in the west-central lower peninsula. I don't think it is the one of which Gord sang.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:02 PM   #9
gwen snyder

whereabouts is that "Lake of the Woods" in Minn Brink?
Somewhere Up In Michigan, how far is that Houghton Lake from Houghton? Also, how long of a drive is it from Houghton to Detroit area?
Thanks
Old 01-19-2004, 02:11 PM   #10
brink

If you look on the Minnesota map at the Canadian/Minnesota border on the Western side There is a huge lake the is on both borders. It's off Highway 11. The Red Lake Indian Reservation is in Lake of the Woods County and is right below the lake itself. I had friend in grade school who's dad was up there hunting and drown in the lake, supposedly it has "no bottom" it is many feet of muck at the bottom and rescue workers are not able to drag the lake. The town of Arnesen is on the shore of the Lake. Great area up there.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 04:16 PM   #11
SomewhereupinMichigan

quote:Originally posted by gwen snyder:
whereabouts is that "Lake of the Woods" in Minn Brink?
Somewhere Up In Michigan, how far is that Houghton Lake from Houghton? Also, how long of a drive is it from Houghton to Detroit area?
Thanks

Houghton Lake and Houghton are, actually, not even close to one another. Both are named for Douglas Houghton who was the first geologist and surveyor in Michigan. Houghton (city) is at the edge of the Keweenaw (pronounced Key-wuh-naw) Peninsula in the Upper Peninsula. That's the jut of land on the northwest end of the U.P. that extends out into Lake Superior toward Isle Royale National Park (an island). Houghton and Detroit are further apart than Detroit and Washington, DC. It is about a 10-12 hour drive, depending on the weather and time of year. Next question?
Old 01-19-2004, 11:38 PM   #12
gwen snyder

We have a lighthouse trip to make up there this summer and I am estimating time. Actually we will be going to Island Royale for a tour of the islands lights and the area around Marquette and Houghton (lights and maritime museums). One of the lights on Island Royale we will visit is Rock of Ages, by coincidence might it have anything to do with Mr. Lightfoots song?