banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2006, 04:39 PM   #26
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

BILLW - Thanks for the informative missing posts thing, by virtue of the thread originator deleting his/her first thread opener. That explains a lot.
'preciate it
-geo Steve

BTW - I wanted to get this note on page one, so I am arbitrarily editing this note. The cool pictures Watchman has of waders for fishing sure bring back some fun memories; I wound up having to post on page 2 this thread to mention 'em, and continuity tends to get lost when one does that.

So, just a foot note here of an appreciative note to Watchman and the boots photo; I expand in other areas from that pic see pg 2 if interested.
Thanks Watchman - Geo Steve

[ August 22, 2006, 09:17: Message edited by: geodeticman ]
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:02 PM   #27
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Quote:
Originally posted by geodeticman:

'preciate it
Aaah ha ha. Me and you must have the same accent. :D
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:47 PM   #28
charlene

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatchman:
Char,

I remember you saying that you don't have a driver's license and always take buses. How many times has this happened and how often do you cross into the U.S. via Buffalo? When was the last time you crossed and didn't have to provide ID?
I don't drive. Does that exempt a person from being asked for I.D.?

It was a couple of summers ago when I went to Hamburg NY. And XMAS time 2003 -summer 2002 for July 1st festivities and May 2002 to Hamburg and then flying to New Jersey for concert. Maybe XMAS 2001 as well. It's been several times since the Massey Convention in May 2001.

All times I was a passenger and I don't recall the drivers being asked for any I.D. including one U.S. citizen who picked me up in Hamilton, Ontario.

I take buses here in town and go into Toronto on the train/rail system.

The only time I am asked for I.D. is when I fly to the U.S. - New Jersey, Hartford, Atalnta, Sarasota, Tampa etc.

Since I don't have any government issued photo I.D.(drivers license) I have a passport as does my daughter.

Hope this answers your questions.

Coming back home into Canada we were asked for I.D. once that I recall and once we were asked to pull over and the car was checked...we were cleared and headed home from the border.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:32 PM   #29
TheWatchman

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:
No, of course it doesn't. I took you literally when you said "I'll drive thru at Buffalo like I always do with no requests for I.D." I find it hard to believe that you and your friends never get asked to show ID, but if you say so, it must be true.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:56 PM   #30
charlene

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatchman:
quote:Originally posted by charlene:
No, of course it doesn't. I took you literally when you said "I'll drive thru at Buffalo like I always do with no requests for I.D." I find it hard to believe that you and your friends never get asked to show ID, but if you say so, it must be true.
[/QUOTE]I say so - so it is true..
I have no reason to misrepresent or mislead.

I always have mentioned Lightfoot to the border folks on my way across because I'm either going to a concert or meeting with Lightfoot friends/fans...and I have always received questions about him, short anecdotes and memories from them in reply....very nice...

You can believe or not...makes not a whit of difference to me.

Your posting of basspro boots and their relevance has gone over my head. That's okay too....
Old 08-21-2006, 08:11 PM   #31
TheWatchman

Your kidding Char. No it's not okay that the boots went over your head. Have you ever heard the expression "It's getting deep in here. Better get the hip boots." That's what the hip boots mean. I could have posted a shovel too. Means the same thing.

This week you've learned what a troll is and how to spot one and now what hip boots mean when injected into a conversation.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:40 PM   #32
Borderstone

Wooh! Thanks for getting me down! I shall now attempt a daring feat!

I shall do 1000 handsprings,while at the same time doing the entire version of "Canadian Railroad Trilogy"!

Better tune up...me-me-meeee! You-you you you!

Okay,go!! "There was a time in this fair land....
Old 08-21-2006, 09:00 PM   #33
charlene

Well it's okay to me Al. I decide that. If it's not okay to you that's your business.
I knew what a troll was long ago. Trust me on that.

I don't even know what you're talking about/implying when you use the words - "it's getting deep in here" let alone a picture of hipwaders.

You asked some questions - I answered them honestly.

If you are implying that I've shot you a line of bullshit here that needs hipwaders and a shovel to dig out of then say so.

If that isn't what you meant or meant to direct TO/AT me then ignore previous sentence.

No pics required.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:27 PM   #34
TheWatchman

Char, I maintain.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:38 PM   #35
spammer

Dang, what kind of swamp are you hiking thru? :D
Old 08-21-2006, 09:42 PM   #36
TheWatchman

One that keeps getting deeper!
Old 08-21-2006, 09:47 PM   #37
spammer

I see.

I hope them things are snake-proof!

Old 08-21-2006, 09:52 PM   #38
TheWatchman

Old 08-21-2006, 11:01 PM   #39
LSH

<<The Ring Master: Pacing the circumference of the main Ring, a distracted half-smile.>>

Well, I guess I should order more peanuts. We're still waiting, after all. The issue is still at hand, the 'elephant hiding in the middle of the room'.

Oh, that brings a joke to mind...entertainment!!

What did Tarzan do when he saw a rampaging herd of elephants coming over the hill stampeding toward the village ?
He ran to get help...
What did Tarzan do when he saw a rampaging herd of elephants coming over the hill wearing sunglasses stampeding toward the village ?

Nothing. He didn't recognize them...

elephants ... peanuts ... must order peanuts ...excuse me...
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:14 PM   #40
MistyMoppens

munching popcorn while watching the show... <wide eyed>

*munch*munch*munch*.. gagging on a popcorn paper... ack!! *choke* *gag*... um excuse me. (making a mess here..)

carry on...

Last edited by MistyMoppens; 11-23-2008 at 07:59 AM.
MistyMoppens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:36 PM   #41
MistyMoppens

Well... that elephant just dropped one the size of a Volkswagen.

Jesse-Joe, you know how to shovel the s**t. Please grab the poop scoop (aka: front end loader) and take care of it for us.

Thank you in advance! :D :D :D

[ August 21, 2006, 23:41: Message edited by: MistyMoppens ]
MistyMoppens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:39 AM   #42
geodeticman

Fading Away - yup, I rekin' we do have similar accents as you point out on my: " 'preciate it". LOL I 'spect so.
hehe - geo Steve
Old 08-22-2006, 09:06 AM   #43
geodeticman

Char - I forgot to mention when I was going over to hang out by the two one arm jugglers, the ego and the ID, you know, that you can also buy crisp apples out of the barrel, and the elephants like 'em too ! Apples in the sun; beautiful. I'll be talking to the midget and the kid, that always seems to have a red ballcap on him. Peanut man ! Peanut man !

OH BTW Charlene: I do at times find for real- life reasons that knee-high combo'waterproof boots with Kevlar and/or steel laminate and PTFE (Gore Tex) lining ( about $400 more than the ones Watchman is showing) can be necessary if a pro is trying to survive in some areas of the sphagnum-peat bogs of Sasketchewan and Manitoba, or worst of all conditins in Alaska, farther north a bit, where in summer, snakes, mud, water, dew, and rain, and buuuuggggs are working hazards.

Seems my snake-strewn older cartographic surveys and those for the U.S. government can be frought with some of the same occupational hazards as you experience at times in Corfid !.

Watchman's fun picture of low end waders made me recall those days, where I quickly found that if a man tried to walk more than just for lolligagging/fishing in a stream, but rather, say, working 8 - 10 miles a day of terrain doing reconn on a geodetic survey, he'd wind up with blisters so bad they can go septic from "swamp rot". Need real waterproof leather/kevlar snake boots for that for sure !

And then you might have to wait for sooo long when the U.S. B.L.M. and/or Canadian Provincial Mapping agencies' helicopter would do food/suplies drops or caches every TWO WEEKS ! AAAGGGGH !lol. Rugged, frightening, but beautiful memories.

Those little PVC waders Watchman was showing wouldn't last a minute where a grown man or woman would venture, but they sure make me want to read a Redwing, or Yukon Outfitters, or even a Fillson's catalogue and drool over the good gear.

Thanks Watchman ! I 'preciate the photo and memories ! - sadly though, of what not to wear over the long haul, but sure are fun for lightweight fishin' jobs !
geo Steve