banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 04-11-2004, 08:06 PM   #26
Doug Letcher

I am probably in the minority here, but
here goes. I wasn't around in '56 but I
think Elvis Presley's outburst on the
scene started the ball rolling for "younger
peoples music" to become popular music
as we know it today, and as we have known
it through the last few decades.
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #27
Borderstone

Default Re: The best ever year for popular music?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04-09/2004
Lets' make this simple. Without going into heavy,long drawn out detail,here's my personal opinion. 20th century & rock era only:

1955,1956,1957,1963,1964-1969,The Seventies,1982-1985,1987,1992,1994,1996.

Plain & simple. Don't ask me why. Later!

Skimming the ole' posts again and one day shy of 10 years later,I'm wondering.....

What in the world made me say 1992? The only thing I can
think of is that's when #1 songs finally started being #1 for over 2 months or more.

Anyway,let me add 2005 to that as well. After that,nothing really.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:58 AM   #28
joveski

it all depends on what you think are good years of your life. before my time, 69-71. or 89, 91, 95, 99. music died in 2000!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #29
Borderstone

Well Jovieski,the obvious ones are childhood years Birth ('68) to 1979,nothing liek the 1970s. Taht whole decade was great. I think I can even say 1980 was good now,for music.

I consider 1981 a "stepping stone" year. Disoc and most things 70s were declining or
over and the sounds that would become "THE" 80s,hadn't taken hold or debuted yet.

I stand by the rest of these : 1982-1985,1987,1992,1994,1996

After 200,yeah....I agreee with you. Although I will give credit to Mariah Carey for havig her 2nd biggest #1 in 2005 "We Belong Together" # for 14 weeks (on of which fell on my birthday). So I'll even add2005.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:20 AM   #30
paskatefan

I can't narrow it down to a single year, but I really started getting into pop/rock music because of the Beatles & the whole British invasion, so I would say starting with 1964. The very first record I ever bought was Petula Clark's "Downtown" album, which I played to death. Thank goodness I have a "Best of" CD of all her songs today (she still makes me smile when I listen to her songs). I wasn't a huge Beach Boys fan back then, but I think their songs have aged well, ditto for the Four Seasons (Of course, we loved "Jersey Boys"). Other groups I really liked and still enjoy are The Mamas & the Papas & The Association. Since I also love Motown music of the 1960's and the folk/rock genre (Simon & Garfunkel, Gordon, whom I discovered for the first time in 1971, but didn't start getting the albums until 1976!), that would also extend into the 1970's with the rise of the singer/songwriters (James Taylor, Billy Joel, Carly Simon, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Bruce Springsteen ...). I hated most of the "novelty" songs of the mid 1970's ("Billy, Don't Be a Hero," "Seasons in the Sun"), and I detested Debbie Boone's "You Light Up MY Life" with a passion. The only disco music I liked was from "Saturday Night Fever" (although I don't mind some of the Village people's songs that you still hear @ parties to this day). Re: the 1980's, thank goodness for Bruce Hornsby, Huey Lewis & the News, Bryan Adams. Skipping over to the 2000's, I like Michael Buble & Josh Groban. In the last few years, we have had the pleasure of seeing Rod Stewart, Paul McCartney, The Who, The Rolling Stones, & Fleetwood Mac in concert. A few weeks ago, we saw Paul Simon & Sting together!

Favorite musicals - Rodgers & Hammerstein, Lerner & Loewe. I listened to then through my parents' LPs. Now I have them all on CD. I'm also a movie soundtrack fan - lots of John Williams soundtracks as part of my collection, and other notable soundtrack composers. Part of that has come from my love of figure skating - a number of my favorite figure skaters have skated to movie soundtracks, many of which I've bought, even if I haven't seen the movie. So, that's my story in a nutshell!

I will not listen to most hip hop & rap. The lyrics are, for the most part so offensive! I don't consider them genres of music.
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote