banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-29-2003, 09:49 AM   #1
locster

Just noticed someone selling a homemade version the Albany bootleg on Ebay. This is an outright coyright violation. I don't note this to chastise the seller so much as to alert them that they put themselves at risk for legal action.

Fans trading things for free usually is overlooked, but profitting from the organized sale of copyright property isn't.
locster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:49 AM   #2
Bill

Just noticed someone selling a homemade version the Albany bootleg on Ebay. This is an outright coyright violation. I don't note this to chastise the seller so much as to alert them that they put themselves at risk for legal action.

Fans trading things for free usually is overlooked, but profitting from the organized sale of copyright property isn't.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 01:59 PM   #3
fowlesjohn

Man,
GSS
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 01:59 PM   #4
gwen snyder

Man,
GSS
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:05 PM   #5
RayAtley

Geeze oh man. I may send that wafe an email and tell him to remove it from ebay or else I will contact ebay and have them remove it. ebay will jack him up.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:05 PM   #6
RayAtley

Geeze oh man. I may send that wafe an email and tell him to remove it from ebay or else I will contact ebay and have them remove it. ebay will jack him up.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:04 PM   #7
Auburn Annie

Did it (but additional messages wouldn't hurt.) I sent 'oldfolkie' a message that bootlegs are unauthorized and not allowed on Ebay, then sent Ebay a heads-up (complete with EMP address and phone number for them to confirm that the Albany CD is not an authorized Lightfoot recording)for them to follow through on. Freely trading is one thing - nobody either makes or loses money on it, and as fans we all buy whatever Gord puts out (for most of us, in multiple formats reaching back to vinyl, through 8-track, cassettes and CDs.)
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 05:04 PM   #8
Auburn Annie

Did it (but additional messages wouldn't hurt.) I sent 'oldfolkie' a message that bootlegs are unauthorized and not allowed on Ebay, then sent Ebay a heads-up (complete with EMP address and phone number for them to confirm that the Albany CD is not an authorized Lightfoot recording)for them to follow through on. Freely trading is one thing - nobody either makes or loses money on it, and as fans we all buy whatever Gord puts out (for most of us, in multiple formats reaching back to vinyl, through 8-track, cassettes and CDs.)
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 06:04 PM   #9
TheWatchman

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Back in 1998, I had just moved into my new home and had gotten on the internet for the first time. I bid on a Lightfoot LP on ebay and then received an email from this guy offering me a bunch of Lightfoot bootlegs that I could buy. Come to find out, it was from a very well-known person that hangs with the upper elites of this site. Interesting. And I have the proof to back it up. I have the name etc. but will not let loose of it. Just found it interesting is all.

Some of us got ridiculed for asking how Lightfoot was doing and one of them is SELLING bootlegs by contacting those who are bidding on Lightfoot stuff on ebay. I'll stop now. I bet that this person on Ebay that is selling the Albany concert probably has been on this site and may even be a regular poster or "lurker".
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 02:16 AM   #10
MatthewBullis

Well I put that Albany concert up on my site for free. Nobody makes money for it, and everyone can enjoy it for free. I'd be interested to know if the cd's have the exact track marks I made, because if so, then it would be an mp3 source, and there are coppies of that concert out there that are traded on cd through the ETree site, which are people dead set against mp3. Anyhow, I won't bid on it just to satisfy my own curiosity though. If you haven't been to my Rare Gord site, go there and enjoy the rare stuff. Nothing has been officially released, except for the Two Tones lp back in the 60's. Nothing is in print, and as soon as Gord's record company releases something I have on my site, off it goes. http://Listen.TO/RareGord
Enjoy,
Matthew
Old 04-30-2003, 02:16 AM   #11
MatthewBullis

Well I put that Albany concert up on my site for free. Nobody makes money for it, and everyone can enjoy it for free. I'd be interested to know if the cd's have the exact track marks I made, because if so, then it would be an mp3 source, and there are coppies of that concert out there that are traded on cd through the ETree site, which are people dead set against mp3. Anyhow, I won't bid on it just to satisfy my own curiosity though. If you haven't been to my Rare Gord site, go there and enjoy the rare stuff. Nothing has been officially released, except for the Two Tones lp back in the 60's. Nothing is in print, and as soon as Gord's record company releases something I have on my site, off it goes. http://Listen.TO/RareGord
Enjoy,
Matthew
Old 04-30-2003, 07:55 AM   #12
Bill

Again, I'm not trying to tell people what to do or not do...but I teach video/media production, including legal issues like copyright clearance...unless the seller has a contract with Gord's organization, then it's copyright infringement. Performance rights are the typical "royalties" we talk about - these are paid by radio stations, hotels, etc. to BMI, ASCAP, or the Canadien & European versions for the right to play music by their artists. Mechanical rights are paid by artists recording their own version of a song. Sync rights are paid by video/film producers syncing music to their film. Master recording licenses cover use of an original recording by an artist. That's the super simple version of music rights.
Basically, if you don't own the copyright then it's not yours to reproduce and sell.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:06 AM   #13
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Yes, Bill, that's it exactly. I might add that it isn't ours to give away either, and it is a mistake to think that giving away material not currently available on a CD or video does no harm. The choice to do that is the rights owner's, Gord's in the case of most of his recordings. He might well think that if someone has a bootleg copy of (say) the Albany concert, a TV broadcast, or the Two Tones album, then that person might not buy something he chooses to release in the future. Whether he is right or wrong in thinking that (assuming he does), it is his decision and not ours. Furthermore, when material is put up on a publically available web site, others with fewer scruples just might decide to sell it on a home manufactured CD or video. There is a fancy looking "CD" that is sold periodically on Ebay and Yahoo that contains audio recordings that were traded by devoted GL fans just like all of us. Matthew, I know you are trying to others here a favor, but it is very risky because bootleggers lurk on sites like Corfid as a source of free rarities.

I'll get off my soapbox. I don't really care what people do privately, but I suggest that you all rethink how publically you want to share the material and consider what Gord might think of it. It is fair to say he wouldn't like it.

And, Watchman, I resent that remark about the "elite" members of this site. And who is that? Anyone who has spoken to Gord more times than you have? Yes, I have spoken to him many times now, but I am still just a fan who happens to have a web site designed to showcase his music. He knows me and I think he appreciates what I have done, but he also appreciates each and every fan. Most of the fans who have been lucky enough to meet Gord and his band don't think of themselves as "elite" or special; just damn lucky.

Valerie Magee and Cathy Cowette (as a result of many discussions)

Visit my GL web site at www.gordonlightfoot.com and Cathy's site at www.cathycowette.com
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:51 AM   #14
titan

I think "elite" is self proclaimed and a harmless way of desribing the people who post more often than you "peons" who don't. I was called a "newby" by someone
on this site once and I was offended too until I realized that I was one.
I don't think The Watchman thinks himself to be any better than the rest of us.

Also, I'm kidding when I say "peons". We are all Gord fans and nobody is more special than anyone else. Take it with a grain of salt.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:51 AM   #15
titan

I think "elite" is self proclaimed and a harmless way of desribing the people who post more often than you "peons" who don't. I was called a "newby" by someone
on this site once and I was offended too until I realized that I was one.
I don't think The Watchman thinks himself to be any better than the rest of us.

Also, I'm kidding when I say "peons". We are all Gord fans and nobody is more special than anyone else. Take it with a grain of salt.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:54 AM   #16
DMD3

Yeah, yeah! We're all =
Old 04-30-2003, 09:54 AM   #17
DMD3

Yeah, yeah! We're all =
Old 04-30-2003, 09:55 AM   #18
TheWatchman

Val,

Don't flatter yourself as I was not referring to you as an "elite member" of this site. It has nothing to do with how many times someone has spoken to Lightfoot.

Actually, being an "elite member" of this site is not a compliment. It refers to those members who ridicule others about bootlegs when they themselves own them and even SELL THEM. It refers to those who knew exactly what happened to Lightfoot yet totally lambasted those members who wanted to know. It's about hipocracy. Plain and simple. To those of you who are wondering who I am referring to, use this old saying to figure it out. "If the shoe fits, wear it."

TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:57 AM   #19
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:
Yeah, yeah! We're all =

I think that was post #10400.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:57 AM   #20
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:
Yeah, yeah! We're all =

I think that was post #10400.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:00 PM   #21
titan

DARN!!! Here I thought I was well on my way to become an "elite member" of this site and now I found out it's bad. I guess I'll just be happy as a "Newby" for a while. I'm getting more and more confused by all this Cyber-talk-lingo. I thought a bootleg was a football play. Anyone want to buy my secretly taped jam session with Gord in my garage from last night. I was killer on "air guitar."
Old 04-30-2003, 02:00 PM   #22
titan

DARN!!! Here I thought I was well on my way to become an "elite member" of this site and now I found out it's bad. I guess I'll just be happy as a "Newby" for a while. I'm getting more and more confused by all this Cyber-talk-lingo. I thought a bootleg was a football play. Anyone want to buy my secretly taped jam session with Gord in my garage from last night. I was killer on "air guitar."
Old 04-30-2003, 02:02 PM   #23
Gord

The offending item on Ebay has been removed.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:02 PM   #24
Gord

The offending item on Ebay has been removed.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:33 PM   #25
joveski

titan,

there's nothing wrong with being labelled a "newbie". it's a polite term used in many forums and mailing lists ect.

it's also easier than saying "I am a new member of this board"
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote