banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2005, 10:51 AM   #1
Yves SAVARIAUD

Hi, I am Yves SAVARIAUD, french, singer guitarist and songwriter. I m searching for a mean to contact Gordon Lightfoot or his agent to obtain an authorization for publishing a french adaptation of a song.
Thanks for your help !
Old 12-30-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
Auburn Annie

As posted elsewhere on this site, to contact Mr. Lightfoot - or better yet, his agent Barry Harvey, write/call/fax to:

Gordon Lightfoot
Early Morning Productions
1365 Yonge St., Suite 207
Toronto, Ontario, CANADA M4T 2P7

(416)924-1146 - phone
(416)924-4086 - fax

His office manager (and everything else par excellence) is Anne Leibold. She and Barry can tell you what is required re licensing Mr. Lightfoot's materials.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
Yves SAVARIAUD

Merci beaucoup, thanks a lot Anne. It s very kind of you. It has been so simple. The last time i did this exercise was with Rodney Crowell. I had to exchange with Warner Bros Corp and nothing was simple ; the more difficult was, at first, to find a link... with you it took only a couple of hours. Thanks again. merci et aurevoir !
Yves Savariaud, France.

Quote:
Originally posted by Auburn Annie:
As posted elsewhere on this site, to contact Mr. Lightfoot - or better yet, his agent Barry Harvey, write/call/fax to:

Gordon Lightfoot

(416)924-1146 - phone
(416)924-4086 - fax

His office manager (and everything else par excellence) is Anne Leibold. She and Barry can tell you what is required re licensing Mr. Lightfoot's materials.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:21 PM   #4
Yves SAVARIAUD

...sorry Annie...not Anne !

Quote:
Originally posted by Auburn Annie:

Gordon Lightfoot

(416)924-1146 - phone
(416)924-4086 - fax

Old 12-30-2005, 05:49 PM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Yves SAVARIAUD:
Hi, I am Yves SAVARIAUD, french, singer guitarist and songwriter. I m searching for a mean to contact Gordon Lightfoot or his agent to obtain an authorization for publishing a french adaptation of a song.
Thanks for your help !
Cher Yves
Welcome to the group I see that you bothered to register:tres bien
You might perhaps like to now tell us more about yourself and your Lightfoot experience.
what type of songs do you write?
Have you recorded any and if so are there any samples or clips we could hear?
Presumably you have knowledge of Gordon's songwriting?
If so how did you manage to get to know it in France?
Indeed is it possible to buy Lightfoot material in France at all?
Are there in fact any cover versions by French singers?
In case you do not know it Gordon wrote and recorded one song in both English and French:-
Nous Vivons Ensemble
see some of the lyrics below from:-
http://www.lightfoot.ca/nousvivo.htm
I personally know having lived in Montreal the reason for this song:-
Which was the Quebec Separatist movement (of the 60's in particular)
and the resulting overzealous actions by the "Language Police" there
which includes all "Stop" signs in Quebec showing the French word "arret"

An ARRÊT sign in Gatineau Quebec
(In contrast I think I am correct in saying that in France itself you are happy that your Stop signs say only "STOP" in English)

www.france4families.com/DrivingInFrance/Roadsigns.htm
I have also visited Bulgaria where I was amazed to find that despite having not only a different language but also an almost completely different (Cyrillic) alphabet their Stop signs say "STOP" too
I could not today find a photo of one but I did a long time ago
As you would expect the Japanese and Chinese have a special versions

And naturally to spite the Brits the Irish have their own version too

Interesting reviews at:-
http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Stop_sign
and
http://www.answers.com/topic/stop-sign
I did not bother to check but suspect that Australia as befits a nation of hooligans an ex-convicts probably only has "give way" signs in order to create more traffic chaos
John Fowles
Nous vivons ensemble
Nous nous connaisons maintenant
Voici comment nous pouvons decouvrir une autre humanite
Sur les plaines D'Abraham
Lors du dernier sacrifice

sorry to have got distracted Just one of my pet soapbox topics!!
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:14 AM   #6
Yves SAVARIAUD

Well, it s a long message so first, how did i meet G.L. music. I m fond of Bluegrass music and I listened to a Tony Rice album names "Tony Rice sings Gordon Lightfoot" and thats nearly all. My favorite song is "Song for a winter night" and this the one I have adapted in french... I have no recording for the moment but i use the sing it on stage withe a banjoist I play with... I m not a professionnal but have already recorded 4 albums, 2 in country music standards and 2 in french song (I wrote the musics on lyrics from a friend of mines). Side of this i nearly never listened to GL himself (dis not find any records) but read all the lyrics i can find on the net. To finish and not worry you, when i sing on PALTALK american and canadian I meet says i remain them G.L..... it s funny...and an honour i suppose !
...to be continued
Old 12-31-2005, 11:45 AM   #7
talbot10

Welcome to the Group Yves!
Bill Hall
Old 01-01-2006, 02:34 AM   #8
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Welcome, Yves! Please visit again and tell us more.

Sheryl
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:34 AM   #9
Yves SAVARIAUD

Thanks a lot for your responses... if you are interested, here is one site of mines about the french bluegrass musicians. We meet every year in the center of france and are about 100.

http://www.chez.com/hillbillies

In the all of France there are not more than 300 people praticing Bluegrass....
Following your advices i contacted G. LIghtfoot and submited him my adaptation of "song for a winter night".....let s wait for the response ...
Old 01-01-2006, 05:07 PM   #10
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Yves, do you have any mp3s online where we can listen to a clip of your Song For A Winter's Night?

Welcome aboard!
Old 01-01-2006, 05:25 PM   #11
johnfowles

Tres Bien encore Yves that page says that you "Présente "NEUVY 2005""
where I imagine Neuvy is the city in the middle of France where you meet to practice your bluegrass as shown on the map at:- http://www.travelpost.com/EU/France/.../Neuvy/6213715

at the link you provided:-
http://www.chez.com/hillbillies
There is a great selection of pictures , but there are no titles or captions so it is not possible to tell which (if any) are of you yourself
although you are obviously telling us to contact your lawyer/solicitor
"J'espère que vous avez aimé vos têtes ! Pour toutes contestations voici les coordonnées de mon avocat
M° B.Monnereau, rue de la Mandoline, Saint Clément des Levées"
Nevertheless I rather liked the sound of this picture!!

It would not display here from its original location at:-
http://www.chez.com/hillbillies/tofucca.jpg
so I saved it and uploaded it to my own site for future use
Perhaps you might like to elaborate and if you wish to display a picture of yourself simply right click on it then select "properties" or whatever it is in Windows/Fenetres Francais and copy the URL for example the one I showed above was
http://www.chez.com/hillbillies/tofucca.jpg
then very simply put img before the URL and /img after it (just make sure you put no spaces and also put square brackets around both the img and /img a [ before and a ] after
or cheat by using the Instant UB code at the bottom of the reply box select image and paste the URL in directly
Facile n'est-ce pas???
John Fowles
Actually I have now cheated and used Google image search for your name and thought initially that I found you at a Spanish site:-
http://www.arrakis.es/~bigmon/Craponne2001_2.htm:-
but the three pictures there were apparently
TAKEN BY YOU
I also found:-
http://www.countryfr.com/Artists/Electrogene.html
with you being by the look of it one of these:-

the caption says
"Yves Savariaud
banjo, chant
guitare électro-accoustique"
and a picture of an album sleeve at the bottom with you with a banjo in the middle??

[ January 01, 2006, 16:30: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 01-02-2006, 04:21 AM   #12
Yves SAVARIAUD

Well I find amazing to feel such an interest... I will read what you wrote, very calmly, because i m not an expert in english... On the 2 last pics I m the one on the left and down part of the 1st pic and the one with the white hat and red guitar on the second pic. The man with the mandolin is a great picker, best in france for bluegrass and jazzy mandolin his name is Christophe Constantin.
To the question about MP3 of my self, i have no one ready for now, but i often sing this song live, on Paltalk, in lives room under the nicname of martin19481...
to be continued...
Old 01-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #13
Jim Nasium

Yves, your english is far better than my french, as I am about to show. Here is my french translation of a song I have heard and sung in english. Prompted by JF's picture.

C'était dernier dans le soir juste peu d'entre nous choisissant, mais la dame qu'elle a jouée si facile et beau, et les cordes qu'elle a gratté étaient si de bon goût astucieuses. Ils ont planté cette chanson dans mon esprit.

Il y a quelque chose si féminin d'un mandoline. La façon qu'ils sentent, la façon qu'ils sonnent. Juste voir des doigts sveltes qui déplacent si, a fait rapidement ce besoin de garçon pour chanter. Et quand je vieillis et j'ai une fille, je l'enseignerai à chanter et jouer elle mes chansons. Et je la dirai quelques histoires je peux rappeler à peine et ai sauté qu'elle chantera le long de. Et peut-être un jour elle appréciera choisir parce que quand cet insecte vous mord, vous habitez avec la piqûure. Et si elle pourrait juste gratte quelques-uns mesures simples. Elle pourrait faire quelque jeune homme chanter. Il y a quelque chose si féminin d'une mandoline, la façon qu'ils se sentent, la façon qu'ils sonnent. Et ce soir dans un café du côté de Paris que Cette mandoline a fait me chante.

I do not play mandolin, but do like the sound of the instument. Love bluegrass.
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:42 AM   #14
Yves SAVARIAUD

This song has something which sounds very romantic and very "late 19è century". Especially because you translate it very litteraly and that sounds "old french".
Opposite to this romantism, you can notice that what i let the mandolinist say on the pic is a try of humor because i profit of his face to make a kind of an advert for a med against constipation.....!!!!LOL
Old 01-03-2006, 10:27 AM   #15
johnfowles

Quote:
LOL
LOL indeed.On a point of linguistic interest Yves just what does "LOL" stand for in french???
It cannot be "Laughing Out Loud" because I thought that ever since the 100 years war you French are not inclined to use English words if at all avoidable .The best I can come up with using my English/French Larousse is "Luisant Ouvert Langue "Shining Open Tongue" or the other way round ROB "Risant Ouvert Bruyant".
John Fowles
HLOLARAWCHAWMP = Lord knows how that translates into French but in English it is
Hysterically Laughing Out Loud And Rolling Around While Clapping Hands And Wetting My Pants
Originally found on:-
http://www.2ndwind.org/abb_msg.ht
but no longer there

[ January 03, 2006, 09:33: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 01-03-2006, 03:10 PM   #16
Yves SAVARIAUD

Well i discovered "LOL" and some others shortcuts (like LMAO) while i sing in some live rooms on Paltalk messenger. The straight translation into french is "je ris très fort" (i laugh very loudly), so your "riant ouvert bruyant" is very close to the original but too much litteral : but we more often use an other expression "je suis mort de rire" (I'm dead because i laugh" and our shortcut is "MDR" (Mort De Rire). But this is nearly allways used by very young people in the SMS language on portable phones. For "rolling around" we say "je me roule par terre" and for "wetting my pants" we say "j'en pisse dans ma culotte". Of course, laughing is allways in the background.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:06 PM   #17
johnfowles

Quote:
"wetting my pants" we say "j'en pisse dans ma culotte".
Mais oui
I had forgotten about culottes
to see some rude pictures do a google image search for that word
http://images.google.com/images?q=cu...=Search+Images
Most of which are briefer than the garments I usually associate with that word
and as an example see this one being held up by Monsewer Blair in this photograph on a french web site of all places

I thought they would be shortened verions of good old English "trousers" a word which after 5 years still gives my American wife the giggles (over here everything a man dons up to his belt are known as pants with no differentition for the underwear variety which I still find confusing.
John Fowles
"See an image from the past Of an old schooner flyin' down a sky that's overcast"
(can anyone guess at the inspiration for that snippet from the great lyrics from "Restless"??)

[ January 03, 2006, 19:50: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 01-03-2006, 05:25 PM   #18
Auburn Annie

The image looks Photoshopped to me - is Blair a double finger pointer when he speaks?
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:59 AM   #19
Yves SAVARIAUD

Its very funny how we can start from conversation about Gordon Lightfoot ad arrive on a language discussion about "culotte".
In french there are many acceptions of this word. Among these : the principal one is an equivalent of trousers but if you preceed it by "petite" it becomes knickers. If you say that "la femme porte la culotte" (the women she wears the "culotte") its means that she is the chief into the couple. "prendre une culotte" can be "lose an election". "baisser sa culotte" (put his trousers off) can be "to give up" etc...etc...
Old 01-04-2006, 06:06 AM   #20
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Its very funny how we can start from conversation about Gordon Lightfoot ad arrive on a language discussion about "culotte".
Hey Yves,

That's just the way things go around here. It's one of the many reasons why we like the place. Stick around for awhile and you'll see that it's quite common, LOL.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:08 AM   #21
Yves SAVARIAUD

Well Bill, it s very fun and i greatly appreciate this very cool and fraternal ambiance. My intention is to stay around... !
Old 01-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #22
johnfowles

Quote:
If you say that "la femme porte la culotte" (the women she wears the "culotte") its means that she is the chief into the couple. "prendre une culotte" can be "lose an election". "baisser sa culotte" (put his trousers off) can be "to give up" etc...etc...
Continuing our international Language symposium in English a woman in charge of a couple "wears the trousers"
unless one is Scottish of course

i once saw a Scotsman lift his Kilt to prove "that everything was in perfect working order"!!
or if you are American "wear the pants" see:-
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/wear+down

And one BBC Radio disk jockey often used to express scorn for anybody showing off by calling him/her a "clever trousers"
I googled for that expression and found someone stating:-
"Actually, I stole clever trousers from an 80s British sitcom called The Young Ones"
and a New sealand company selling "intelligent interface devices for the industrial automation industry" has called itself by that name
http://www.clevertrousers.co.nz/
John Fowles
Just one thing Yves if you think a topic you start is or is likely to be or become off the main topic of "Gordon Lightfoot" then start it in the "Small Talk" forum. I mean no criticism of you regarding this topic as when you opened it you obviously had no idea that I would introduce off-topic replies but as my good friend BillW says "That's just the way things go around here"
I think we are overall just very pleased that a genuine Frenchman has joined us to add to the Russian Italian Swede and Australians who have previously posted here, Not forgetting of course that our host Florian Bodenseher lives in Vienna,Austria
John Fowles
One final thing make sure you add you name location and a picture to the "Corfid Member Map" described and linked at:-
http://www.corfid.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...1;t=003558;p=0
Oh yes why "corfid" anyway??
Florian explains at:-
http://www.corfid.com/gl/about.htm

[ January 04, 2006, 09:37: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 01-04-2006, 10:23 PM   #23
<Reminder>

Mr.Fowles,

I would suggest that the original posting was on topic. I find you to be be pretentious and self-righteous to insinuate that one must be concerned that Sir John ( He who has a keyboard without punctuation keys and a penchant for run-on sentences, plus a desire to display irrelevant photos)will share another of his incoherent posts.

Your first contribution to the thread was the one that belonged in the Small Talk Forum.

RMD
Old 01-05-2006, 01:31 AM   #24
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Love your posts, John.

Sheryl
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:10 AM   #25
SilverHeels

Sir John,
we who truly know you, love your posts - and your wicked Brit sense of humour.
Never change!