banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2003, 11:00 AM   #26
Auburn Annie

Yes, he's adult contemporary now, and has been since the late 60s/early 70s when the folk revival disappeared under the onslaught of the British Invasion. And he's never been entirely one thing or another; witness his early barbershop quartet work, a little bit of country, and an interest in jazz in his late teens. Folk was what was 'happening' when he was searching for his own sound - that's where the crowds (and paying gigs)were. So he sang Copper Kettle and The Fox and scores of others until he had a shot with his own songs at Teachers College in Toronto in 1964. He knew he could hold an audience with his own works then. It wasn't his folk singing that caught Ian's & Sylvia's ears but his own composition (Early Morning Rain). The style started folk but didn't stay that way for long.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 03:34 PM   #27
Borderstone

Titan,well let me list my musical choices and tell me how close it gets. Folk (traditional and modern),Rock and Roll (pre-'55 to early '90's with a few exceptions for today),'70's country & a little of today's,R & B and some Rap,All Jazz,Classical,Opera,Fun pop songs but thankfully I'm too mature for today's teen acts,although a few of their songs have caught my ear. New age,AC that's not gooey. I can barely tolerate-Grunge-punk-gangster rap-Eminem:I know he's rap but he has other elements as well. I also find a bit laughable,Elvis in the jump suit doing songs best left for Engelbert H. Let me know. Borderstone,outta here and Alberta Bound!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 09:37 PM   #28
funky_finch

I've gotta agree with Phil McCup, someone mention Stan Rogers on their top five! Please. He was one of the best Canadian Folk singers of all time! Just try and listen to one of his CDs like From Fresh Water, Home In Halifax, Forgarty's Cove, or From Coffee House to Concert Hall. You'll be glad of it

------------------
funky_finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 09:37 PM   #29
Lost Within Himself

I've gotta agree with Phil McCup, someone mention Stan Rogers on their top five! Please. He was one of the best Canadian Folk singers of all time! Just try and listen to one of his CDs like From Fresh Water, Home In Halifax, Forgarty's Cove, or From Coffee House to Concert Hall. You'll be glad of it

------------------
Lost Within Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 10:49 PM   #30
Lil Hoov

I found it impossible to name only five,there are so many great ones,I like all the previous mentioned and than some. Like: GLENN YARBOROUGH(solo & with Limelitters),KINGSTON TRIO, John Stewart (with the trio & solo), IAN & SYLVIA TYSON, of course, GORDON LIGHTFOOT, and JOHN DENVER, DON MCLEAN, JOAN BAEZ, JUDY COLLINS, JONI MITCHELL, BURL IVES, TOM PAXTON, ERIC ANDERSON, ROGER MCQUINN (solo & with Byrds) Bob Dylan(during his folkdays), HARRY CHAPIN(ONE OF THE MOST BIG HEARTED PEOPLE I ever met anywhere), TOM CHAPIN(Harry's brother and a fine folk singer also), KATE WOLF(such a beautiful person taken away much too soon)PETER,PAUL & MARY( wonderful folks,I have met all three also), SIMON & GARFUNKEL,(true poets and what a sound of two beautiful voices),GIBSON & CAMP, MAMAS & PAPAS (these four all came from great folk groups before they got together.. the JOURNEYMEN, HALIFAX FOUR,THE BIG THREE,(maybe Michelle didn't,I'm not sure on that one). and of course PETE SEEGER and WOODY GUTHRIE and son ARLO GUTHRIE..I'm sure I'm forgetting someone ... Randy
Old 04-11-2003, 10:49 PM   #31
Lil Hoov

I found it impossible to name only five,there are so many great ones,I like all the previous mentioned and than some. Like: GLENN YARBOROUGH(solo & with Limelitters),KINGSTON TRIO, John Stewart (with the trio & solo), IAN & SYLVIA TYSON, of course, GORDON LIGHTFOOT, and JOHN DENVER, DON MCLEAN, JOAN BAEZ, JUDY COLLINS, JONI MITCHELL, BURL IVES, TOM PAXTON, ERIC ANDERSON, ROGER MCQUINN (solo & with Byrds) Bob Dylan(during his folkdays), HARRY CHAPIN(ONE OF THE MOST BIG HEARTED PEOPLE I ever met anywhere), TOM CHAPIN(Harry's brother and a fine folk singer also), KATE WOLF(such a beautiful person taken away much too soon)PETER,PAUL & MARY( wonderful folks,I have met all three also), SIMON & GARFUNKEL,(true poets and what a sound of two beautiful voices),GIBSON & CAMP, MAMAS & PAPAS (these four all came from great folk groups before they got together.. the JOURNEYMEN, HALIFAX FOUR,THE BIG THREE,(maybe Michelle didn't,I'm not sure on that one). and of course PETE SEEGER and WOODY GUTHRIE and son ARLO GUTHRIE..I'm sure I'm forgetting someone ... Randy
Old 04-12-2003, 12:08 AM   #32
clawcrawler

1. Gordon Lightfoot
2. John Prine
3. Steve Goodman
4. Bob Dylan
5. Stan Rodgers

Others with some good folky songs: Neil Young, Paul Simon, Dan Fogelberg,Kenny Loggins, Joni Mitchel, and John Denver

[This message has been edited by GL Fan for 30+years (edited April 13, 2003).]
clawcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 12:08 AM   #33
GL Fan for 30+years

1. Gordon Lightfoot
2. John Prine
3. Steve Goodman
4. Bob Dylan
5. Stan Rodgers

Others with some good folky songs: Neil Young, Paul Simon, Dan Fogelberg,Kenny Loggins, Joni Mitchel, and John Denver

[This message has been edited by GL Fan for 30+years (edited April 13, 2003).]
GL Fan for 30+years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 08:16 PM   #34
Restless

Heres my 5: Not in any order.

Lightfoot
John Prine
Nanci Griffith
Kate Wolf
Bill Staines
Greg Brown
David Wilcox
Stan Rodgers
Ian Tyson
Bob Dylan
Woody Guthrie
Emmy Lou Harris
Shawn Colvin
Joan Baez
Doc Watson
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 11:19 AM   #35
jlk.billsfan

Can't leave out Murray McGlaughlin(sp?).Another good Canadian.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:19 AM   #36
jlk.billsfan

Can't leave out Murray McGlaughlin(sp?).Another good Canadian.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:01 PM   #37
violet Blue Horse

Gordon Lightfoot
Stan Rodgers
Dylan
John Stewart
Tim Buckley
Judy Collins

In no particular order.

Yeah, I can't count. Sue me.

quote:Originally posted by JG005&AOL.COM:
HI FOLKS

I find a lot of common grounds with Gordon Lightfoot fans from reading postings and opinions in this web site. I thank God for knowing about Lightfoot. His music has been my constant companion. And I also listen to other great folks musicians.

I predict that we listen to a lot of same other musicians who are unique like Mr. Lightfoot. And there are a lot of them out there. All over the world. We heard the most famous and the rest we have not. Lets share our opinion. Lets list the top five folk musicians.
John

[This message has been edited by violet Blue Horse (edited April 14, 2003).]
Old 04-14-2003, 04:01 PM   #38
violet Blue Horse

Gordon Lightfoot
Stan Rodgers
Dylan
John Stewart
Tim Buckley
Judy Collins

In no particular order.

Yeah, I can't count. Sue me.

quote:Originally posted by JG005&AOL.COM:
HI FOLKS

I find a lot of common grounds with Gordon Lightfoot fans from reading postings and opinions in this web site. I thank God for knowing about Lightfoot. His music has been my constant companion. And I also listen to other great folks musicians.

I predict that we listen to a lot of same other musicians who are unique like Mr. Lightfoot. And there are a lot of them out there. All over the world. We heard the most famous and the rest we have not. Lets share our opinion. Lets list the top five folk musicians.
John

[This message has been edited by violet Blue Horse (edited April 14, 2003).]
Old 04-24-2003, 06:23 PM   #39
jg005&aol.com

Hi Gordon Fans:

I finally figured the five most folk musicians. In alphabetc order they are:

Judy Collins

Donovan

Gordon Lightfoot

James Taylor

Simon and Garfankul

I am more educated now about apparently other great folk musicians listed by other Gordon fans. Thank you. I will look them up in the music shops.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:23 PM   #40
jg005&aol.com

Hi Gordon Fans:

I finally figured the five most folk musicians. In alphabetc order they are:

Judy Collins

Donovan

Gordon Lightfoot

James Taylor

Simon and Garfankul

I am more educated now about apparently other great folk musicians listed by other Gordon fans. Thank you. I will look them up in the music shops.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:47 PM   #41
Mist O' The Morn'

If one may continue, and try to avoid the "older" group, I would continue with:

Donovan
Ian & Sylvia
David Willcox
Tom Paxton
Phil Ochs
Stan Rogers
John Prine

------------------
restless shadows

[This message has been edited by walls (edited April 24, 2003).]
Mist O' The Morn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:47 PM   #42
walls

Send a message via MSN to walls

If one may continue, and try to avoid the "older" group, I would continue with:

Donovan
Ian & Sylvia
David Willcox
Tom Paxton
Phil Ochs
Stan Rogers
John Prine

------------------
restless shadows

[This message has been edited by walls (edited April 24, 2003).]
walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 08:55 PM   #43
jg005@aol.com

[QUOTE]Originally posted by walls:
[B]If one may continue, and try to avoid the "older" group, I would continue with

many Gordon fans mention Stan Rogers as anotherFolk great. I tried to find Stan Rogers in music shops here in Jacksonville without luck. Any thoughts abouts about where I can find his music. Thank you very much.

John
Old 05-12-2003, 08:55 PM   #44
jg005@aol.com

[QUOTE]Originally posted by walls:
[B]If one may continue, and try to avoid the "older" group, I would continue with

many Gordon fans mention Stan Rogers as anotherFolk great. I tried to find Stan Rogers in music shops here in Jacksonville without luck. Any thoughts abouts about where I can find his music. Thank you very much.

John
Old 05-12-2003, 11:14 PM   #45
violet Blue Horse

Yeah, that's a toughie here too. Our only "music" store went out of business a few months ago which leaves us at the mercy of K-Mart, yish, try and find anything worth listening to at K-Mart.

I know of one bricks and mortar store within three hours of me where I'm guaranteed to find Stan Rogers. It's also where I picked up some used Buckley, Lightfoot and John Stewart albums. On a more positive note, I just checked and Amazon has his CD's in stock, so there's always the cyber route!

quote:Originally posted by jg005@aol.com
:
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by walls:
If one may continue, and try to avoid the "older" group, I would continue with

John

Old 05-12-2003, 11:14 PM   #46
violet Blue Horse

Yeah, that's a toughie here too. Our only "music" store went out of business a few months ago which leaves us at the mercy of K-Mart, yish, try and find anything worth listening to at K-Mart.

I know of one bricks and mortar store within three hours of me where I'm guaranteed to find Stan Rogers. It's also where I picked up some used Buckley, Lightfoot and John Stewart albums. On a more positive note, I just checked and Amazon has his CD's in stock, so there's always the cyber route!

quote:Originally posted by jg005@aol.com
:
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by walls:
If one may continue, and try to avoid the "older" group, I would continue with

John

Old 05-13-2003, 01:42 PM   #47
wsm2506

Here goes:

Gordon Lightfoot
James Taylor
Richard Thompson
Phil Ochs
Joni Mitchell

Honorable mentions to:

Tom Paxton
John Prine
The Strawbs
Judy Collins
Bob Dylan
wsm2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 01:42 PM   #48
Toano-Tide

Here goes:

Gordon Lightfoot
James Taylor
Richard Thompson
Phil Ochs
Joni Mitchell

Honorable mentions to:

Tom Paxton
John Prine
The Strawbs
Judy Collins
Bob Dylan
Toano-Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 02:02 AM   #49
Wingdrops

For me, the best measure has to be how I "voted" with my dollars in buying albums. I've listed 8 (in order) so that the purists can throw out anyone they deem insufficiently "folk."

1 Gord
2 Maddy Prior (in Steeleye Span,
Silly Sisters and solo)
3 (tie) Cat Stevens
3 (tie) Paul Simon
(including Simon & Garfunkel)
5 (tie) Joni Mitchell
5 (tie) Pete Seeger
7 Mike Cross
8 Christine Lavin

All the above are singer-songwriters except Maddy Prior (who has written some but is primarily a singer).

Upcoming favorites, who may eventually make their way into the top 5, include Indigo Girls (probably more rock than folk) and the delightful Christine Lavin.

I have not included Raffi in this list, because I purchased his records and tapes for my children to listen to (OK, I listen too, but that's not why I bought them). His Christmas album is still one of my favorites. What a happy sounding man !

LOL

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by."
Wingdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 02:02 AM   #50
2Much2Lose

For me, the best measure has to be how I "voted" with my dollars in buying albums. I've listed 8 (in order) so that the purists can throw out anyone they deem insufficiently "folk."

1 Gord
2 Maddy Prior (in Steeleye Span,
Silly Sisters and solo)
3 (tie) Cat Stevens
3 (tie) Paul Simon
(including Simon & Garfunkel)
5 (tie) Joni Mitchell
5 (tie) Pete Seeger
7 Mike Cross
8 Christine Lavin

All the above are singer-songwriters except Maddy Prior (who has written some but is primarily a singer).

Upcoming favorites, who may eventually make their way into the top 5, include Indigo Girls (probably more rock than folk) and the delightful Christine Lavin.

I have not included Raffi in this list, because I purchased his records and tapes for my children to listen to (OK, I listen too, but that's not why I bought them). His Christmas album is still one of my favorites. What a happy sounding man !

LOL

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by."
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote