banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 05-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #1
Auburn Annie

Default Long time no post, for a good reason

On May 5th my husband Rich slipped and fell and was seriously injured. No one is sure exactly what happened as he was working alone, but he landed on a slate patio, possibly striking his head on a corner of a stone step. I'd post a photo but it's gruesome, even after 20 sutures.

Ambulance took him to Upstate Trauma unit in Syracuse for 3-4 hours and innumerable tests, then the general ER for another 9 hours, and transfer to Surgical ICU. Fortunately he did not need neurosurgery but he did break the skull in at least 3 places, have sub-arachnoid hemorrhaging, and fractured his spine at L4. After moving from intensive care to a general floor he finally was moved to 2 North, their rehabilitation unit, on May 9 to begin occupational, physical and speech therapy. He was discharged home on the 17th and will have in-house therapy for the next nine weeks.

He has problems with short term memory and balance, gets lightheaded when walking. Most alarming to me was his near refusal to eat anything. Back at the end of March he weighed 223; last Wednesday he weighed 201. Most bothersome to him in particular is hearing loss - he was hard enough of hearing before to need aids (which he seldom wore) but there was damage to both ears internally as well. At this point we wait for swelling and bruising to subside. I've bought new mobile phones that can amplify incoming sounds.

And in the midst of all this, we had our hardwood floors refinished this past 5 days. Basically for a few days we lived upstairs while the polyurethane was applied downstairs. Fortunately our son had a spare small refrigerator we stocked with foods and water, juice, soda - and I set up a small buffet in a back bedroom. We managed, the floors look beautiful, and our son and a couple of nephews are coming tomorrow to set up the furniture that has been stored everywhere from garage to back shed to upstairs bedrooms to the front porch (an oak hutch that, as Kyle put it, "weighs more than my car.") Rich, of course, has been trying to move things when I'm not looking - had to read him the riot act.

Now we go hither and yon with one appointment after another, likely for months. Our planned trip to the Soo this summer is not happening. I am hopeful he will be recovered enough by late September/early October when our second granddaughter is due to be born to our daughter Rachel. Her Natalie will be 22 months when she becomes a big sister.

Anyway, if you haven't seen any posts from me lately, that's why. I do pop in to read from time to time.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
lighthead2toe

Default Re: Long time no post, for a good reason

So sorry to hear this news Annie. Hope you all can keep it together and Rich has a speedy recovery. Take good care.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:43 PM   #3
charlene

oh my goodness - so sorry to hear this news. a head/brain injury can take a long time to heal - concussion symptoms can last a long time. i hope he is feeling better and you are not so overwhelmed with all the chaos-albeit beautiful when the new baby comes but chaos nonetheless!!
take care of yourself so you can take care of others.. keep us posted.. healing hugs from TO..
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:56 PM   #4
Auburn Annie

Thanks. We expect a slow recovery. The headaches are gone and most of the back pain. Hearing loss bothers him the most; lightheadedness worries me, especially as he wants to drive again. He has to get medical clearance for that first. We take it one day at a time.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:27 PM   #5
Auburn Annie

Happy to update that at 9 weeks post accident, Rich is much improved and is now allowed to drive again. He still needs occupational therapy to improve motor response in his left hand, and had one more back X-ray next month. And he'll need an audiogram to see how badly damaged the hearing is in his left ear. In a recent turn of events he has developed "musical ear syndrome" where he hears the same tune off and on 4 or 5 times a day for an hour or more at a time. It's faint enough to be difficult to decipher but hr thinks the tune is Wanderin' Star from Paint Your Wagon.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Well the good news is that the song is wonderful... I'm glad to 'hear' that things are looking up.
Did anyone ever offer any opinions on the original cause of his fall?

Good luck and peace be with you,
Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote