banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
Borderstone

Hey all! Hope you had a great Mother's Day yesterday.

I have some awesome Gordon Lightfoot news for you today! I went out on the bus to North Phoenix's Desert Ridge Mall and into Tower Records to "hit hunt". :D

As I always do of course,I went to the GL section and found the usual,except.....! I discovered a 2-CD set of "The Very Best Of Gordon Lightfoot"!

The two LP's in question are the B & W kinda smokey looking cover and the second is the one that looks like a painting of Gordon!

I was sooooooo tempted to buy it but I decided to hold off and just buy what I came for. (Tom Petty Anthology & GL's "Cold On The Shoulder" CD's.

I hope I don't regret that! Anyway,check your local Tower records (not sure about you that are overseas) but check anyplace they sell CD's. :D

That's the coolest CD thing I've seen since "Songbook". Later!

[ May 17, 2006, 16:19: Message edited by: Borderstone ]
Old 05-15-2006, 10:24 PM   #2
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
I have some awesome Gordon Lightfoot news for you today!
As I always do of course,I went to the GL section and found the usual,except.....! I discovered a 2-CD set of "The Very Best Of Gordon Lightfoot"!

The two LP's in question are the B & W kinda smokey looking cover and the second is the one that looks like a painting of Gordon!
ah yes Mr Stonebreaker
I seem to recall this new set being mentioned here a while back when it was first released in the UK by The Beat Goes On (BGO) outfit
I believe its subtitle and number is is:-
United Artists regurgitation number 9,999,999
see:-
http://www.towerrecords.com/product....rdon+Lightfoot

John Fowles
the strange thing is that despite it's being a UK originated package the portrait album cover they have chosen to use is the US one:-

rather than the reallocated UK vinyl issue on the cheapo Sunset label

John Fowles
There's not many people who knew that (before)!
Or even knew that they wanted to know that!!

[ May 15, 2006, 22:29: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:41 AM   #3
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Is it hot in here or is it just me?? <fanning self>
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Jessi -Joe:
Great photos as usual John. Are there songs never realeased before on those??
Why thank you J-J

No nothing new all the myriad United Artists' "regurgitations" take a number of tracks from the original total of 60 tracks on the five UA albums in a random manner.
Do the math which I've forgotten long ago but 15 tracks from 60 gives I'd wager a huge number of possible combinations.
in the above three cases
1.the"smokey" black one has these tracks per:-
http://cgi.ebay.com/GORDON-LIGHTFOOT...QQcmdZViewItem
SIDE 1
1-The Last Time I Saw Her
2-Walls
3-Rosanna
4-Home from the Forest
5-If I Could
SIDE 2
6-Something Very Special
7-Long Way Back Home
8-Affair on 8th Avenue
9-Ballad of the Yarmouth Castle
10-Mountain and Maryann

2.the US "painting" one has per:-
http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=295834
1. Softly
2. Go Go Round
3. Pussywillows, Cat-Tails
4. Home From The Forest
5. Mountain And Marion
6. Rosanna
7. Bitter Green
8. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
9. If You Got It
10. Rich Man's Spiritual

To break the monotony
3.the UK only EMR "painting" issue had per:-

SIDE 1
1.EARLY MORNING RAIN
2.IF I COULD
3.THE LAST TIME I SAW HER
4.FOR LOVIN' ME
5.THE MOUNTAIN AND MARYANN
SIDE 2.
6.DID SHE MENTION MY NAME
7.THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE
8.WHEREFOR AND WHY
9.PUSSY WILLOW,CAT TAILS
10.AFFAIR ON EIGHTH AVENUE
11.I'M NOT SAYIN'

the constant repackaging has carried on well into the CD age viz this "EMR" collection

contents per
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/...rning+Rain.htm
1. Early Morning Rain
2. Wherefore & Why
3. Last Time I Saw Her, The
4. Ribbon Of Darkness
5. I Want To Hear It From You
6. First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, The
7. Did She Mention My Name
8. Way I Feel, The
9. Mountains And Maryann
10. I'm Not Saying
11. Does Your Mother Know
12. For Lovin' Me

And another such is the one you J_J are currently using as your MSN Messenger avatar

GORDON LIGHTFOOT - OVER 60 MINUTES WITH which has a fuller (CD-sized) selection per:-

1. For Lovin' Me
2. Steel Rail Blues
3. I'm Not Sayin'
4. Go Go Round
5. Early Mornin' Rain
6. Changes
7. Black Day In July
8. Bitter Green
9. Pussywillows, Cat-Tails
10. Canadian Railroad Trilogy
11. Softly
12. Boss Man
13. The Way I Feel
14. Did She Mention My Name
15. Last Time I Saw Her
16. Mountains And Marian
17. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
18. Song For A Winter's Night
19. Ribbon Of Darkness
20. Home From The Forest

quite why that compilation had only "over 60 minutes" worth when even the earliest CDs held
65 minutes is beyond me
John Fowles
I have taken the trouble of researching this as part of another project that I am working on
and also to show the broad truth behind the ranting of Bill Van Dyk
at:-
http://www.chromehorse.net/rants/rants98/lightfoot.htm
who averred:-
"Gordon Lightfoot made a career by not issuing any albums whatsoever except for Greatest Hits Collections. It's true. His
first album, released in 1966, was called "Gord's Greatest Hits". Nobody knew who Gord was. He had no previous recordings
of original material. But since he had a greatest hits album, and went by his first name, we all figured he must be
important and we added him to the collection"
John Fowles
and another nice EMR photograph

and of interest amongst many interesting results of a google image search for EMR is

Seamus Begley and Mary Black singing "Early Morning Rain" at concert in Killarney 25 July 2003 on:-
http://www.mary-black.net/gallery/Ki...3/09ms010.html
very partial to the voice of Mary Black myself
Old 05-16-2006, 12:40 PM   #5
johnfowles

Quote:
{avatar}, new word Im going straight to the dictionary...

{avatar}>> descent, a god's coming to earth in bodily form 2. an embodiment
If you search harder oh honourable tyro J-J
you just might have stumbled upon this page:-
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ition&ct=title
which has this more relevant definition:-
"graphical image of a user, such as used in graphical real-time Chat applications, or, a graphical personification of a computer or a computer process, intended to make the computing or network environment a more friendly place"
Hence the CD you are now using in MSN Messenger chat is your"avatar" as I eruditely said above
Thanks I had meant to find out several times
John Fowles
Old 05-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #6
charlene

Sir John and Jessi-Joe - what a love-a-thon! I'm blushing all over!
lol
Hey Jessi-Joe - when you reply to any posts and include the post you reply to, perhaps you could delete a lot of it and especially the photos? Makes it easier for the dialup folks to read the love-a-thon and other posts...
lol
thanks,
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
brink-

Quote:
What specific one are you talking about Charlady Goddess of all Goddess? Queen of Corfidians, how may I be of some small, yet ejoyable service to you your almighty one...(LOL)
that could make one sick. lol
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:15 PM   #8
johnfowles

Quote:
What specific one are you talking about Charlady Goddess of all Goddess? Queen of Corfidians, how may I be of some small, yet ejoyable service to you your almighty one...(LOL)
CREEP!!!
I would have taught it was patently obvious

If you carefully scrutinise the various postings above you should spot that my original opus was
posted May 16, 2006 11:05
and contained a wealth of absorbing detail to flesh out my point plus a wonderful total of
4 pictures
OK it just might have escaped your notice that the very next message was posted (by you) May 16, 2006 12:07
and contained a wealth of absorbing detail to flesh out my point plus a wonderful total of
4 pictures
then again
the very next message was posted(again mark you by you) May 16, 2006 12:44
and contained yet again a wealth of absorbing detail to flesh out my point plus a wonderful total of 4 pictures
I tink tat wot the charlady was as attempting to ask you ever so subtly was could in future you remember to strive to delete as super-flew-us
a wealth of absorbing detail to flesh out my point plus a wonderful total of 4 pictures
So that those with dial up connections only have to wait once for the wonderful total of 4 pictures to load
John Fowles
gedit now??
Duh and to think we make fun of blondes here and they of course cannot possibly help it
Old 05-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #9
johnfowles

Quote:
John did you call me creep? This is Jessi- JOE. BECAUSE IF YOU CALLED ME CREEP YOUR AN ???????

Im waiting for an answer here...
Well sir the language you were using above in suplicating/kow-towing (or whatever else you wish to call it) to the charlady was entirely consistent with somebody crawling on hands and knees to gain the attention/favour of a ruler. In order to do that you would be crawling hence "creep"
Old 05-16-2006, 04:17 PM   #10
Borderstone

Sheryl? .... :D
Should I fly over to your neck of the woods dressed like Gordon to calm you down?? LOL!! :D :D

Maybe a chourus or two of,"It's Worth Believin" ?
Old 05-16-2006, 04:28 PM   #11
Borderstone

Oh,come on now Jessi. John was not calling you a creep. He doesn't call folks names without a good reason.

Boy,just wanted people to know that the 2 CD set was released here in America. Sheesh!
Old 05-16-2006, 04:32 PM   #12
johnfowles

I am truly sorry J-J if you are still offended and am now wondering what the purpose of your posting above May 16, 2006 17:18 was, as it was merely a repetition of my earlier 16:15 posting.
Possibly you felt that I had not actually confirmed clearly enuf that I had indeed called you a "creep" which is (reading
between the lines notwithstanding possibly)what I taught I intimated by saying you were alternatively a "crawler"

[ May 16, 2006, 16:48: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 05-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #13
johnfowles

OK I see now your response got split up
I have just looked at synonyms for creep(in case your definition is different to mine at:-
http://www.elook.org/thesaurus/index.php?search=CREEP

synonyms include
fawn grovel crawl pussyfoot all of which could legitimately describe your obsequious appeal to Char
I grant you that another synonym shown is weirdo
which had I intended that meaning could be condsidered insulting but not the other meanings listed above.
It was only a simple retort and I do not see how you could consider it insulting sorry to say
but I will unreservedly say "I apologise" here in public as I had absolutely no intention of insulting you,and on the contrary highly value your contributions to these forums
Old 05-16-2006, 06:05 PM   #14
charlene

Not everyone gets everyone else's sense of humour...some words/puns don't translate well and should be considered before hitting "enter/send"....no harm was meant (I hope) and an apology offered.

The use of a thesauraus to employ words like fawn, grovel, weirdo, creep, obsequious, and ending with "Duh and to think we make fun of blondes here and they of course cannot possibly help it" certainly could rile up pretty well anyone not long familiar with that sort of ribbing.

I want you boys to play nicely from now on. The use of LOL and a smiley face would go a long way to exhibit some joviality where needed. And a pause before hitting send is always helpful.

thanks,
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:46 PM   #15
Sheryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
Sheryl? .... :D
Should I fly over to your neck of the woods dressed like Gordon to calm you down?? LOL!! :D :D

Maybe a chourus or two of,"It's Worth Believin" ?
No, no, thanks. <still fanning self> I'll be fine. I'll just look at my Vegas souvenir picture some more!! But go ahead and sing a few bars for me!!! LOL LOL!!
Old 05-16-2006, 08:03 PM   #16
ColoradoSue

Send a message via AIM to ColoradoSue

Sycophant

Pronunciation: -"fant
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin sycophanta slanderer, swindler, from Greek sykophantEs slanderer, from sykon fig + phainein to show -- more at FANCY
: a servile self-seeking flatterer,also known as an asskisser, brown-noser or apple-polisher.
synonym see PARASITE
- sycophant adjective

[ May 16, 2006, 20:08: Message edited by: ColoradoSue ]
ColoradoSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:48 AM   #17
SilverHeels

and remember, John, our Brit humour is often misconstrued. Even you missed my 'ironic' reply on another thread and you are a Brit! LOL
:D
Old 05-17-2006, 08:23 AM   #18
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

Jessi-Joe,
We have never crossed wires with one another, at least I do not think

As you say, we are all somebody (individuals) and are all different, except for typicaly our love of GL's music. Reverence may be a bit over the top, but to each his own. I know what you mean.

GL has in some ways seemed like an actual acquaintance of mine at times, through his music in my life, primarily I think from when he helped (via his music) me through the rigours of teenagehood, first loves, lost loves, philosophical ponderings on life, the wilderness, etc.

At these times, I could relate so well to his music, it seemed he *had* to have gone through what I did too, or so it seemed. So a person we do not really know seems like someone we do know, in a way. certainly, we know some facets of his thoughts, as expressed in his lyrics and music.

One note I would add to your well-intentioned caution above about never knowing who you are really dealing with on the internet is generally true. As a relatively new member, I made a few mistakes, upset a few people, and think I even drove one or 2 away.

Can't make everyone happy, as you say. And, for reasons I'll not bore you with, I had trouble writing at first, which drove many up the wall(s), and probably still do lolol .

Point being, these people in this forum, by and large, have known each other for along time, and have also many times gotten together at conferences, group gatherings, re-unions, etc. I was lucky enough to be asked to one recently, but alas could not go.

Given that, and your caution, this room is rather less likely to encounter troubled people in than some rooms in my opinion, and sometimes the real hazard can be saying things that someone might take the wrong way in a very bad sense.

The type you mention. When we speak to much or too vehemently of crazy people being out there on the internet, we inadvertantly wind up with three fingers pointing back at ourself, and one at the room, or individual to which we may refer.

You know, the deal where you look at your hand when you point a finger at someone, and curl 3 fingers back into your hand ? Well, those three fingers can, despite your best and most honourable intentions, point back at ourselves and cause others to worry a bit about the person making such noises about such people.

This is a far more cerebral and peaceful room than I have encountered before, and being GL fans, by nature at least 99% IMHO are completely benign. The occassional 0.01 % I only WONDER about are gone now, or are on extended "sulk" and gone for a while.

Jessie you seem like a good guy, and I hope you enjoyed my bit of silliness about the aliens and walmart after your tree cut at odd angles post and pic. I don't know, you never responded.

But thats OK, we don't post to expect our self-esteem to be built-up in return, but rather austensibly for the general benefit and enjoyment (hopefully) of the forum's members.

The trouble seems to come when we perhaps push a little too quickly individual exchanges with divergant modes of thought and people from our own.

Certainly we are here to compare and contrast our differing views of our common admired performer (GL), but past that, if we stray from differences in that into differences of other kinds, we usually wind up simply causing trouble for oursselves in the room, unintentionally.

I believe I would be careful myself in pointing out what we as adults generally accept as truisms here; that is to say we probably are well advised to not remind one another of that which we all know to be true: there are some bad people out there on the internet.

To caution of that in a given room, lest someone is being too naive for their own good (where a PM will suffice) will generally reflect poorly on yourself when you probably meant no harm at all. I am sure you don't.

Relationships of trust and friendship in this forum greatly preceed both your and my presence and membership in the room. Good people are well established in here and so OK we irritate each other once in awhile.

No one's calling out one another to thow down and put up at sunrise in here though, I have seen that much. I have learned to not take personally what I did a few times at first in here only a few months ago.

jessie-joe please take my advice with a grain of salt, but generally speaking virtually every one of the "regulars" in the room I have found to be the type of kind and gentle souls one would expect in a Gordon Lightfoot room. I never once met a GL fan in real life that I did not like.

And, so that no one interprets you as anything else than the same, just be aware of the backfire that can occur when we point our fingers and speak of what dangers lurk "out there". I sure do enjoy your postings, Jessi-Joe, and I hope you do mine. Gord rules !
- Steve Dunbar aka geo-man geodeticman
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:34 PM   #19
Borderstone

Sheryl!

("B" Sounding like Gordon)---> Ah..1-2-3-4!

"There's a warm wind tonight and the moon turns the tide,when the stars take their ride she'll be leavin'."

"Where she goes,I don't know...she wont tell me what it is,that makes her act like this". "..but I've got a funny feelin' that it's me." -

"It's Worth Believin'! "

"Should I ask"?
Do you like,to go walking on the shore,
and listen to the sea?"
"...or could it be someone kind,could it be that I'm the fool?"
"There's something wrong with you..
and I've got a funny feelin' that it's me." -

"It's worth beleivin'! "

"There's a breeze from the shore and the waves overlap."
"When I've called in the cat,she'll go walkin'..and she cries to herself,in the night when I'm asleep...she lies awake and weeps."
"Could it be someone new,some'n old who has returned...or is it just a game?"
..but I've got a funny feelin' that it's me!" -

"It's worth beleivin'!"

"There's a warm wind tonight and the moon turns the tide." "When the stars take their ride she'll be leavin'."
Where she goes,I don't know...she wont tell me what it is,that makes her act like this.
...but I've got a funny feelin' that it's me!"

"It's worth beleivin'! "
"Nah,nah,nah! Nah,nah,nah,na-na,na-na-nah"! :D
Old 05-17-2006, 05:18 PM   #20
Jesse Joe

That is a great Gordon Lightfoot song. Is there something your trying to say , I dont really understand this one???

Cause Ive got a definite feeling that its not me. :D
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:16 PM   #21
<Reminder>

I think "It's Worth Believing" is one of the little known GL gems that the casual listener has no idea exists. It caused me to become a die-hard fan.

RMD

(Jessi-Joe, I think if you retrace the thread you'll find the explanation you seek......stay focused)
Old 05-18-2006, 01:15 AM   #22
Sheryl

Border Buddy, you sounded JUST like Gord!! Thank you!! xxxo, sheryl