banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
RM

Default Kingston Ontario (one blogger's thoughts)

Seems pretty fair.......

http://kingstonartsdiary.blogspot.co...t-pass-my.html
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Auburn Annie

Default Re: Kingston Ontario (one blogger's thoughts)

I read that a couple of times and, frankly don't know if I'm more confused or ticked off. Partly that's because I don't know the blogger (age, experience, etc.) Rather see him on TV - what's up with that? Who prefers a TV performance to live? Though in Gord's case you'd get precisely the same thing, lol.

I'm not sure if the blogger was more disappointed in Gord or his audience, all those balding pates, you know. Maybe it's me; I don't care for snarkiness whether it's Sarah Palin or this person. Glad to hear Leonard Cohen is still bowling them over though he's not my cuppa. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't follow him, but hadn't he been semi-retired for many years until recently when he hit the road again to recover from financial losses? Well if you've been preserving your energy for a decade and a half instead of doing nine months a year on the road year in and year out, heck yeah you've got more energy.

Okay, rant off. Man, I don't know where THAT came from (probably doing 5 loads of laundry today; I'm tired - spring cleaning.)
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
charlene

I read it earlier and thought I'd attend tonight's show in Peterborough and tomorrow night in Hamilton before possibly ripping that guy a new one.
we'll see..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
spocksbrain

Now come on Char. Everyone has a right to their opinion and though I am a diehard fan of Gord, you have to admit that his performing magic is just about nil these days. The blogger was right on several points. The band rarely tries anything new and the man's voice is barely above a whisper. He is struggling on his biggest songs. It's one thing to be an admirer, but be truthful. Gordon has hurt his voice by continuing to smoke and playing so much. He even said during the CBC songwriter show that he didn't practice the voice. He just lets it take care of itself. I felt almost the same way as the blogger when I saw the Memphis show and my wife said she was embarrassed for him when he couldn't get anything out on Cotton Jenny. My days of paying $60 for this are over.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
charlene

Now Christopher... I said POSSIBLY..
and I will admit there have been songs over the last few years that have caused him difficulties. Starting with Cotton Jenney seemed hard for him but last night it was further down the set list and he had a rip roaring good time with it as did the audience. He was breathy and raspy at times last night and during CRT (which I've noticed before) he had a real hard time. However that could be due to the fact he did The Wreck last night too. He usually doesn't do them on the same night let alone the same half but has been doing so lately with The Trilogy coming after the Wreck and several other songs. Last night was number 13 of 15 nights over 18 days I think..From Newfoundland to southwestern Ontario-5 provinces in total.
I'll have more later..there were some lovely surprises.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Auburn Annie

If the man wants to stand on the edge of the stage and PANTOMIME the damn songs, I'll be there. For Pete's sake, spocksbrain, you're talking to the 'Net people; we get it, the voice is not the same, hasn't been for years, won't ever be again. So what?

If you feel like keeping your wallet in your pocket, please do and keep the fine memories of past concerts when his voice was rich and full - and he barely said two words from the stage. I'm not quite sure what new things you'd like the band to surprise us with. I always had the notion they rehearse within an inch of their lives to sound just the way they do. I dunno, if Terry or Rick went off on a solo like they were playing in the Grateful Dead, we might be treated to more than a raised eyebrow from Gord.

Char's right, there will be no grand finale, no final curtain at Massey or in Orillia or anywhere else. He'll retire from the field if and when he chooses. If it pays the bills playing little clubs or living rooms, so be it. For him it's not the venue as much as it is the act of playing for an appreciative audience. My guess is he'd play street corners like a busker for as long as he could stand, or sit on a stool, if he had an audience of one.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
RM

I'm not surprised this blogger's thoughts caused a discussion. I thought it was 'fair' in that he/she stated :

"I know there are a lot of others who felt exactly the opposite about the concert: that hearing the lyrics from Lightfoot himself was enough, more than enough, to send them into raptures."

I fall into that group, but I also understand why others don't.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Kingston ON 11 April
K-Rock Centre
This is a large high roofed ice Hockey Arena
apparently it has a total seating capacity of 5,700
for Gord's concert the seating at the end behind and alongside the stage was curtained off still allegedly leaving 4000 seats and it really was sold out including about 500 ignoramuses who decided that since concerts never start on time or feature eminently missable opening acts it was acceptable to spend a few more minutes in the bar then mosey on into the arena
We had aisle end seats quite far back so we were unable to see much of the first four numbers whilst the plebs sauntered in (no ushers with flashlights nor any easy way to see the chalked on the floor row numbers)
I had never spent much time in Kingston before so was very pleasantly surprised to find
that the area around our hotel (Ontario Street) was a hotbed of brew pubs.
the beers in the Kingston Brewing Company are especially recomended. But one huge disapointment one of three pubs in one nearby block sported the wonderful name of a
favourite UK real ale of mine

but did not actually serve it.
Enough of that reminiscing
The concert as at Ottawa was far from disappointing
the view from our hotel oom just included a portion of Lake Ontario and the K-Rock Centre (in Ottawa we could see the Peace Tower and the War Memorial that Gord said in that great 1965 La Cave Cleveland recording had inspired him to write one of the very first of his distinctive songs "Echoes Of Heroes"

1 Cotton Jenny
2 Carefree Highway
3 Sea Of Tranquility
4 14 Karat Gold
5 Never Too Close
6 A Painter Passing Through
7 Let it Ride
8 Rainy Day People
9 Shadows
10 Beautiful
11 The WatchLman's Gone
12 Medley Ribbon Of Darkness/Sundown
13 The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
He introduced the now familiar explanation that he was wrong to blaim the hatch for its sinking but "I got it right in the fifth verse"!!

1 Triangle
2 Hangdog Hotel Room
3 Restless
4 Fine As Fine Can Be
5 In My Fashion
6 Clouds Of Loneliness
7 Don Quixote
8 If Children Had Wings
9 If You Could Read My Mind
10 Early Morning Rain
11 Baby Step Back
12 Song For A Winter's Night
Encore
11 Baby Step Back

Last edited by johnfowles; 04-15-2010 at 02:38 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #9
Sydney Steve

Umm John.
Why on earth did you choose to use the "nearly blind" font ? Is this your way of ensuring all the oldies can read it ? Thank the Lord there is no audio on here or we would undoubtedly need ear muffs to drown out the volume. Thanks for the review all the same.
Back to topic.
Look ....You get the impression that this person was never exactly an enraptured fan in the first place which of course would make a difference to his/her perception now.
I can get over the (fairly mild) criticism. Comparing the merits of favourite artists to fans of each is a futile experience .
I myself prefer smooth peanut butter ...but my wife prefers crunchy and no matter how erudite I am in its defence no real ground can be made . For me , I would pay the $60 to hear him at his current level in a flash...it's the other coupla grand in airfares that are more the the sticking point.

BTW Char. please advise where I am in the Website pecking order .....?
What ? Bottom of the bird cage ! Oh well I should feel right at home as that is about the same there too!
cheers.
Stevo
Old 04-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #10
culverd

In my view people at Lightfoot concerts for different reasons. One paper i read viewed the concerts as a celebrations of some of the best songs written in the my lifetime which is 54 years old. This is why i go. I meet some friends at the Ottawa concert who had not been at a Lightfoot concert for while and i think they were expecting his voice to be like the cd's. If you want to listen to the deep rich voice i would suggest buying the Songbook rather than attending the concert. The greatness of the songs come through more on the cd's. In my opinion the concerts could be a little less programmed, the last few concert i attended always finish almost exactly the same time. Does Gord ever extend the show if he is really enjoying the evening?
Old 04-15-2010, 06:44 AM   #11
Jim Nasium

No comment to make on the subject, however I would like to say to John Fowles, later today I will be walking my Dalmatian, Dusty, down to the Jolly Roger, overlooking Portsmouth harbour and knocking back a soothing pint of......... you guessed, OLD SPECKLED HEN,nectar of the Gods.
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #12
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nasium View Post
No comment to make on the subject, however I would like to say to John Fowles, later today I will be walking my Dalmatian, Dusty, down to the Jolly Roger, overlooking Portsmouth harbour and knocking back a soothing pint of......... you guessed, OLD SPECKLED HEN,nectar of the Gods.
OK Jim you're on Mine's a Pint but in a proper handled (and dimpled) beer glass please

after all "that's what your right arm is for
no effeminate sleever for me thank you very much
Then I think I'll have
Braised Wild Boar Sausages
Served with bubble & squeak and topped with
red wine onion gravy
£ 11.95
I see that the Google camera car has been in your neck of the woods
Could that be you and Dusty??
No that dog is spotlessly clean!!

Last edited by johnfowles; 04-15-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #13
MistyMoppens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Steve View Post
Umm John.
Why on earth did you choose to use the "nearly blind" font ? Is this your way of ensuring all the oldies can read it ? Thank the Lord there is no audio on here or we would undoubtedly need ear muffs to drown out the volume. Thanks for the review all the same.
Back to topic.
Look ....You get the impression that this person was never exactly an enraptured fan in the first place which of course would make a difference to his/her perception now.
I can get over the (fairly mild) criticism. Comparing the merits of favourite artists to fans of each is a futile experience .
I myself prefer smooth peanut butter ...but my wife prefers crunchy and no matter how erudite I am in its defence no real ground can be made . For me , I would pay the $60 to hear him at his current level in a flash...it's the other coupla grand in airfares that are more the the sticking point.

BTW Char. please advise where I am in the Website pecking order .....?
What ? Bottom of the bird cage ! Oh well I should feel right at home as that is about the same there too!
cheers.
Stevo
Steve - just my two cents but in my personal pecking order you've always been in the top three. My heart skips a beat whenever I realize you've posted. I just love your posts - that's all. (and I wish you'd post more often.)

I agree - Gord is worth the price of admission. In fact - it's a bargain considering what you get for your money. Last night when I couldn't unwind & get to sleep I finally fell asleep listening to my home made "favorites" CD. (It makes me purr.) I was noticing the huge differnce between the rich baritone of the past and the sweet, tender, more emotional & expressive voice he currently has. I like them equally - they're just different, that's all. But they're both beautiful. I just feel so bad that the airfare from Australia for both you & joveski makes attending the concerts impossible. BTW - the last time I had a peanut butter & jam sandwich I used a little bit of creamy & a little bit of crunchy. Have yet to try vegimite!! LOL!

Sir John - with all due respect I must agree with Steve. Is there a special reason for the huge font? As mush as I love to read your posts that size font tends to give me an instant migraine. I truly hope you're not having a problem with your eyes.

BTW - at this time last year I paid $195.00 directly from the venue to see the Eagles in concert. It was considered a moderately priced ticket for that event. So it always takes me aback whenever anyone complains about Gordon asking $60.00 for the best seats in the house.

Last edited by MistyMoppens; 04-15-2010 at 12:57 PM.
MistyMoppens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMoppens View Post
Steve - just my two cents but in my personal pecking order you've always been in the top three. My heart skips a beat whenever I realize you've posted. I just love your posts - that's all. (and I wish you'd post more often.)
Lord help us!! that's all we need although just possibly some more hooligan postings will hopefully drive away the spammers but precious little else

Have yet to try vegimite!! LOL!
It is pretty good and I say so as a one time UK Marmite user

Sir John - with all due respect I must agree with Steve. Is there a special reason for the huge font? As mush as I love to read your posts that size font tends to give me an instant migraine. I truly hope you're not having a problem with your eyes.
No but I was having a problem when I tried to combine new text with pasted
in text from websites because the various text portions were appearing in different fonts and sizes.Somehow my initial attempts to select all and change to a single font and size produced a lot of very small text and in trying to compensate my selection went awry.I have now gone back and reduced to what I hope is now a more user friendly size
What the .. I tried to post the above and was told that my message was too short as it must be a minimum of 1 character. those who know my postings will agree that I have never ever posted less than 1 character and it is difficult to understad how one could or would want to anyway
Old 04-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #15
Jim Nasium

Sir John, one dimpled glass of Old Speckled Hen is on the bar awaiting your arrival. That picture of the Jolly Roger is quite recent as the blue bit is a new extension recently built. As pubs over here are closing at a rate approaching 4 per week, it was a brave decision by the landlord to extend. But the pub does very well. With a nice restaurant serving excellent food.

In the distance you can just see a white building poking out just by the car, this was once a pub called The White Feathers, it's claim to fame is that Canadian forces left from that area in June 1944 for the D Day landings. (A very small Lightfoot link)
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #16
MistyMoppens

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
What the .. I tried to post the above and was told that my message was too short as it must be a minimum of 1 character. those who know my postings will agree that I have never ever posted less than 1 character and it is difficult to understad how one could or would want to anyway
Now that's hilarious! You must have felt as though you were have a daymare....

BTW - love those bad boy, hooligan postings! Crikey!
Old 04-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #17
Sydney Steve

MistyMoppens,
You are truly a fine judge , (possibly world class ), of posts. Your reward will be that you may join my fan club which is having a membership explosion . Counting you (and excluding the only others who show any interest , - two regular short term temporary members , i.e. my cocker spaniels at feeding time), that makes ummm let me check my calculator here ....
That would be one .

Mr Fowles is exonerated for the big font thing given it was an error. We all make errors of judgement as those that know me well will hastily explain to MistyMoppens !
My 19 yr old daughter's most typical response to my words , by way of example is ....LOSER ! I suspect this term is "teenspeak" possibly meaning "oh great and wise one" but have not yet been able to find any support for this assertion in any standard or slang online dictionaries.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #18
MistyMoppens

Quote:
MistyMoppens,
You are truly a fine judge , (possibly world class ), of posts. Your reward will be that you may join my fan club which is having a membership explosion . Counting you (and excluding the only others who show any interest , - two regular short term temporary members , i.e. my cocker spaniels at feeding time), that makes ummm let me check my calculator here ....
That would be one .
Then that would make me a/the original Charter Member!! Let's have a fan club meeting! I want to organize and photograph the first, Official Sydney Steve Beefcake Calendar! And then I want t-shirts, key rings and paper dolls with GQ outfits, leather biker duds, rock & roll costumes and those little swim trunks all those hunks down-under wear. (You know the kind.)

heehee
Old 04-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #19
charlene

Gord's not immune..
it's all in the delivery of the opinion..and that goes for the favourable opinions too!
lol
Concerts are what is current with Lightfoot - he's not pushing any new product to discuss so it leaves few options for fans. We have concerts to look forward to, concerts to go to and concerts to read about.
Some aren't so good, others are.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #20
charlene

hmmm...website pecking order...I'm going to have to do some calculations..I'll get back to ya..
Old 04-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #21
jj

Quote:
LOSER ! I suspect this term is "teenspeak" possibly meaning "oh great and wise one" but have not yet been able to find any support for this assertion in any standard or slang online dictionaries.
this is funny stuff
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #22
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
this is funny stuff
oh gawd. don't encourage the poor sod.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #23
MistyMoppens

I disagree - LET'S ENCOURAGE HIM! heehee
Old 04-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #24
Wes Steele

Dear johnfowles,

Can you please refrain from posting pictures of BEER?

I just got settled in here on this late Friday afternoon, and after reading your posts and viewing your pictures, I got extremely thirsty... and a thirst that water wil not quench..

I now have to go out and get some "cold ones"....
Old 04-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #25
Auburn Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post

I think by now we're should all be accustomed to these reviews that are not so favorable to Gordon's performance and some are more respectful, tactful, etc., than others. I know, some can be pretty too harsh it seems and the defenses go up for some of us. Why should Gordon be immune to these opinions? Up until Frank Sinatra died, I would hear that all the time from even his most devoted fans. In the most respectful manner though...not with the sarcasm like in the blog posted here (woo-woo 19 followers so who cares) , but I'm sure there might have been plenty scthing reviews @Sinatra and it just so happens to have not crossed my path, is all.
I think a big part of it is .. ta da! .. the internet. There are just so many ways to voice your opinion on the world stage these days. Back in the day when Sinatra was in his prime, other than professional critics for newspapers and maybe reviewers for fan magazines, how many other opinions did a person read? You didn't get a thumbs up or down from Chet Huntley and David Brinkley, no equivalent to Entertainment Tonight on TV, etc. So if a handful of people thought Ol' Blue Eyes was a little off in his rendition of "That's Life!" last night, who'd know?