banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
MistyMoppens

OK. That's *IT*. I miss Borderstone already. The man needs to get a PC of his very own.

Either we could:

1. All chip in and buy him one. (no)

2. Could I give him the laptop we're replacing?

We were just going to toss it after taking a sledge hammer and a wrecking ball to it. Just so no one could get info off the hard drive?

Is there a way to wipe the thing completely clean? Because I don't want him reading all the Lust Letters I write to my hubby. (LoL!)

What else would I have to do? Deregister it with Hewlett Packard and everyone else?

Does anyone think this is a "doable" idea? It's a perfectly good laptop. It would certainly be good enough for him to have much easier access to this website and all his friends who miss him already. It could hold him over until he can get the one he really wants.

Need some input here. Or is this a bad idea? I have a printer and a scanner that go with it, too.
MistyMoppens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
charlene

It's a wonderful idea....I'm sure someone can offer ways to delete/eradicate/nullify your stuff on the hard drive....wihtout destroying it!
lol
It's very magnanimous of you!
go for it~!!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
MistyMoppens

Thanks, Char. I'd like to help him if I could. He's such a great guy and he works so hard all the time. And he's so much fun to have around here.

My hubby is a computer Engineer but he's hardware - not software. And the man has virtually no interest, whatsoever, in any kind of online activity. (i guess i'm blessed in some ways) He has to sit at a CAD system all day & gets a bit burned out looking at the screen. So he'll be no help.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
Janice

Actually, if it's registered with Dell, they might be able to explain how to clean the hard drive and restore it to factory specs. I'd leave the operating system and Microsoft Office (if you have it on there) and Borderbuddy should be good to go.

What a generous and kind offer - and much more useful and satisfying than busting it to smitherines and throwing it away.

You go girl!
Old 06-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
Auburn Annie

There are commercial programs you can buy to either erase the hard drive or erase data but keep the operating system. Google "wipe clean hard drives" and any number will come up. I can't vouch for any of them personally. Contact Dell as suggested. Or remove the drive completely (we did that when recycling our old one); B can install a brand new one.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:50 PM   #6
MistyMoppens

Thanks for the kind words and the help, Janice
& AA. But it's not a Dell. It's a Hewlett Packard.
Does anyone here have a Dell? Don't you have to order those thru the mail?

BTW - Janice, would you PLEASE check your private messages! There's something nice I've been trying to tell you for quite some time now! sheesh.. LoL!

I just had a scary thought! I'll bet Borderstone wouldn't want to give me his shipping address! LoL! It would probably be better to send it to his work address rather than having it sit on his porch all day. Phoenix is having a terrible heat wave.

We haven't really started shopping for a new laptop yet. Any recommendations? I guess I'd give my Tosiba laptop to hubby and I'd take the new one since I'm the one who uses it most.

In any event we'd just need something simple. I just go online a bit, edit images and write letters. That's the extent of it.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #7
brink-

I think Borderstone's problem was not only a PC but an internet provider also. But MM with a nice laptop to not take up too much room he might reconsider - very nice thought MM. kudos to you.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:43 PM   #8
MistyMoppens

Thanks Brink.

Mike! My Hero! That sounds great! I think I just saw that somewhere around here the other day, too.
It sounds so easy...

but but but it has Windows98 on it. We have that CD and one for WindowsXP. Can I change it to that? Is that what you're saying? That would be great.

Just making sure....

THANK YOU!
Old 06-06-2006, 05:10 PM   #9
Borderstone

It always amazes me when I leave anyplace for a day. When it was work,I'd return after a few and there'd be afew things changed & diffrent.

When I'm off the net for one day,I get 10 E-mails (mostly junk) in my box and people discuss me on my most used sites. :D

I've answered Misty in a private meassage that,I realy would like the laptop. Doesn't matter to me that it's 6 years old because my old PC is a decade or so old!

These kind of messages make me want to sing! :D

"I'm special". (Special!) "So special,I gotts ta have some of your..attention". :D LOL!

Thanks all,boy,haven't even started the job yet & I'm missed. You all just have to make me blush dont'cha?
Old 06-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #10
MistyMoppens

You are very much loved here, you know, Borderstone. By everyone.

Mike Dixon says we'll need to get a new Windows program & register it with all your personal details at Microsoft so hubby & I will be happy to buy that for you. Maybe I can get a good deal at eBay. (I've been there for 6 years so I know how to avoid bad products, etc.)

I've been pretty happy with WindowsXP Home Edition. Does that sound OK?

And Mike... I'll be needing you for more advice if that's OK with you. Because I have no clue as to how to access the hard drive! EEK!!!

This will be interesting.... And I'd better get busy looking for a new laptop. I've been procrastinating until now.

Thanks everyone!