banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2004, 06:10 PM   #1001
nika

well i have to say my favruite Gordan Lightfoot song is IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND and ON A WINTERS NIGHT! when i hear these songs it makes me forget about everthing!
Old 12-28-2004, 06:17 PM   #1002
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by ELizabeth:
P.S. Does anyone but me have a naughty idea of what 'Spanish Moss' really is?
Hi ELizabeth

No you are not alone the subject of the naughty but nice other meaning of Spanish Moss has been featured before on the Newsgroup in a sensitive reply by Erica/Sundreme (who I am therefore surprised to see has not leapt into this topic already so I have just replied to the Newsgroup thread subject "Gord's women" which has now brought it back to the top of the thread list there
John Fowles

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 06:17 PM   #1003
johnfowles

P.S. Does anyone but me have a naughty idea of what 'Spanish Moss' really is?
Hi ELizabeth

No you are not alone the subject of the naughty but nice other meaning of Spanish Moss has been featured before on the Newsgroup in a sensitive reply by Erica/Sundreme (who I am therefore surprised to see has not leapt into this topic already so I have just replied to the Newsgroup thread subject "Gord's women" which has now brought it back to the top of the thread list there
John Fowles

Old 12-28-2004, 06:49 PM   #1004
ELizabeth

John, Thanks for your response to my 'naughty' idea concerning SM. I would love to read Sundreme's sensitive response but I don't have any idea how to get to the Newsgroup. Can you help? Sorry for the ignorance.
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 08:32 PM   #1005
ELizabeth

Thanks John. Found it!
Old 12-28-2004, 08:46 PM   #1006
johnfowles

but I don't have any idea how to get to the Newsgroup. Can you help? Sorry for the ignorance.
Yes well there are other fans on the Newsgroup who, have had to admit that they knew not how to access corfid (can you believe that ??!!).Anyroad it just so happens that I have made up a pair of short "user-friendly" URL links as follows:-
1.corfid
http://www.corfid.shorturl.com

That will take you directly to the topic list of the main Gordon lightfoot forum (this one) and you can easily transfer to either of the other two forums by simply utilising the "hop to" drop down selection box at the bottom of every listing or topic page
2.similarly with no fuss or effort you can get to the latest (revised) Google Groups thread listing for the newsgroup alt.music.lightfoot by using this similarly brilliant invention of mine:-
http://www.newsgroup.shorturl.com

Google used to have an annoying habit of telling you that your nice spanking new posting would not appear on their listing for some unfathomable reason for 3 to 9 hours and they meant it but fortunately they have recently replaced the original with a beta version that now says your posting will appear momentarily and it seems to take only a few seconds.Still not as quick as the virtually immediate updating if you can tame the newsreader/your ISP link in Internet Explorer's Outlook Express. Don't ask me if you can do the same with Netscrape or the new demon Firefox, I haven't faced that challenge yet anyone else have any ideas/ or experience in that regard ??
Note that both the above shortutrls should be a cinch to incorporate into your head's memory or after opening add to your favo(u)rites/bookmarks:-
I have two further short urls to offer:-
3 the main ebay.com GL listing

http://www.ebaylightfoot.shorturl.com
which takes you directly to the current ebay listing of GL auctions sorted by most recent additions first or for UK punters:-

4.ebay uk listing (although usually the UK.... and Canadian items appear in the main ebay.com listing

http://www.ebayuklightfoot.shorturl.com

Note that when I devised all the above at:-

http://www.shorturl.com
the service was completely free but new shorturls are being charged for
so I said "sod that for a bunch of bananas" and then discovered a still free alternative at:-

http://www.notlong.com

Just trying to be of asssistance here

John Fowles

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited December 28, 2004).]
Old 12-28-2004, 08:46 PM   #1007
johnfowles

but I don't have any idea how to get to the Newsgroup. Can you help? Sorry for the ignorance.
Yes well there are other fans on the Newsgroup who, have had to admit that they knew not how to access corfid (can you believe that ??!!).Anyroad it just so happens that I have made up a pair of short "user-friendly" URL links as follows:-
1.corfid
http://www.corfid.shorturl.com

That will take you directly to the topic list of the main Gordon lightfoot forum (this one) and you can easily transfer to either of the other two forums by simply utilising the "hop to" drop down selection box at the bottom of every listing or topic page
2.similarly with no fuss or effort you can get to the latest (revised) Google Groups thread listing for the newsgroup alt.music.lightfoot by using this similarly brilliant invention of mine:-
http://www.newsgroup.shorturl.com

Google used to have an annoying habit of telling you that your nice spanking new posting would not appear on their listing for some unfathomable reason for 3 to 9 hours and they meant it but fortunately they have recently replaced the original with a beta version that now says your posting will appear momentarily and it seems to take only a few seconds.Still not as quick as the virtually immediate updating if you can tame the newsreader/your ISP link in Internet Explorer's Outlook Express. Don't ask me if you can do the same with Netscrape or the new demon Firefox, I haven't faced that challenge yet anyone else have any ideas/ or experience in that regard ??
Note that both the above shortutrls should be a cinch to incorporate into your head's memory or after opening add to your favo(u)rites/bookmarks:-
I have two further short urls to offer:-
3 the main ebay.com GL listing

http://www.ebaylightfoot.shorturl.com
which takes you directly to the current ebay listing of GL auctions sorted by most recent additions first or for UK punters:-

4.ebay uk listing (although usually the UK.... and Canadian items appear in the main ebay.com listing

http://www.ebayuklightfoot.shorturl.com

Note that when I devised all the above at:-

http://www.shorturl.com
the service was completely free but new shorturls are being charged for
so I said "sod that for a bunch of bananas" and then discovered a still free alternative at:-

http://www.notlong.com

Just trying to be of asssistance here

John Fowles

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited December 28, 2004).]
Old 12-29-2004, 05:38 AM   #1008
ELizabeth

John - It seems that you are always being of assistance to someone on this board. Thank you so much for helping .
Old 12-29-2004, 09:46 AM   #1009
paraick

quote:Originally posted by Aaron:
One of my favorite lightfoot tunes is The House You Live In because the melody is so beautiful. The words to the song have an important message to tell.

cool. thats the first GL song I learned to play (poorly) and remains a fav of mine. Listening to Harmony as I write. Christmas pressie form the one I love. Thanks L
Old 12-29-2004, 09:46 AM   #1010
paraick

quote:Originally posted by Aaron:
One of my favorite lightfoot tunes is The House You Live In because the melody is so beautiful. The words to the song have an important message to tell.

cool. thats the first GL song I learned to play (poorly) and remains a fav of mine. Listening to Harmony as I write. Christmas pressie form the one I love. Thanks L
Old 01-07-2005, 12:53 AM   #1011
yente56

OH MY GOSH!!! Only one favorite? I guess at first I'd say "If you could read my mind" because it was the first one I heard and absolutely fell in love with GL right there and then. But actually ALL of his music is perfect. His voice is sooooo good, kinda sad and meloncholy(sp?) yet happy and very, very sexy. His songs can make me cry my eyes out and then right away make me happy. "Old Dan's records" always makes me happy as does "Carefree highway"
I had a friend who named his dog Sundown because of GL's song. I guess I just LOVE them all!!!!

Old 01-07-2005, 12:53 AM   #1012
yente56

OH MY GOSH!!! Only one favorite? I guess at first I'd say "If you could read my mind" because it was the first one I heard and absolutely fell in love with GL right there and then. But actually ALL of his music is perfect. His voice is sooooo good, kinda sad and meloncholy(sp?) yet happy and very, very sexy. His songs can make me cry my eyes out and then right away make me happy. "Old Dan's records" always makes me happy as does "Carefree highway"
I had a friend who named his dog Sundown because of GL's song. I guess I just LOVE them all!!!!

Old 01-11-2005, 07:49 AM   #1013
tiabuena

I'm just a newbie on this forum, but i like to tell my favourites songs; i can't tell only one, but i like to get yout opinions 'cause my choices are not the classic ones. So that's my three favourites, depending on how i'm feelin' on the day:
-AFFAIR ON 8TH AVENUE
-PUSSYWILLOWS, CAT-TAILS
-CABARET (do You remember it?)
But i leave other great ones.......my God, this man wrote so much beautiful songs.....
CIAO to all from Italy!

Max
tiabuena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:49 AM   #1014
max

I'm just a newbie on this forum, but i like to tell my favourites songs; i can't tell only one, but i like to get yout opinions 'cause my choices are not the classic ones. So that's my three favourites, depending on how i'm feelin' on the day:
-AFFAIR ON 8TH AVENUE
-PUSSYWILLOWS, CAT-TAILS
-CABARET (do You remember it?)
But i leave other great ones.......my God, this man wrote so much beautiful songs.....
CIAO to all from Italy!

Max
max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:03 PM   #1015
Kervin Hammond

I would have to say "Carefree Highway". This song reminds of family members, the few friends that i knew in church that have all departed this life into everlasting life. They are not suffering anymore. As for me, it means overcoming many heartaches that I have went through in my own life and now I am free from that hurt to move on to something better. For me this song has a spiritual meaning.

[This message has been edited by stephanniel (edited January 11, 2005).]
Kervin Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:03 PM   #1016
stephanniel

I would have to say "Carefree Highway". This song reminds of family members, the few friends that i knew in church that have all departed this life into everlasting life. They are not suffering anymore. As for me, it means overcoming many heartaches that I have went through in my own life and now I am free from that hurt to move on to something better. For me this song has a spiritual meaning.

[This message has been edited by stephanniel (edited January 11, 2005).]
stephanniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:38 PM   #1017
josch

Trying to answer which Lightfoot tune is your favorite is virtually impossible, yet elementary. It's like trying to say which beer is your favorite, the answer is "the one in front of you of course".

And so it is with Lightfoot, I found myself listening to "Song for a Winters Night" just today and thought it to be my "favorite" and then I heard "Ordinary Man" a bit later and, you get the picture. The guy is just too great.

Joe

ps I went to Cathy Cowette's site and heard her rendition of SFAWN, awesome. Makes me proud to be a fellow Mainer (that is if Cathy is gracious enough to consider a Portlander a Mainer) she'll know what that means.
josch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:38 PM   #1018
Joe M

Trying to answer which Lightfoot tune is your favorite is virtually impossible, yet elementary. It's like trying to say which beer is your favorite, the answer is "the one in front of you of course".

And so it is with Lightfoot, I found myself listening to "Song for a Winters Night" just today and thought it to be my "favorite" and then I heard "Ordinary Man" a bit later and, you get the picture. The guy is just too great.

Joe

ps I went to Cathy Cowette's site and heard her rendition of SFAWN, awesome. Makes me proud to be a fellow Mainer (that is if Cathy is gracious enough to consider a Portlander a Mainer) she'll know what that means.
Joe M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:22 AM   #1019
Sheryl Klein

Totally agree with you there, Joe. I keep changing my fav, too. Some songs I'll have heard a few times, then I'll hear it and WHAMMO! It hits me behind the eyes and I'm in love with it -- I "get" it suddenly. The Man's a genius.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:22 AM   #1020
Sheryl Klein

Totally agree with you there, Joe. I keep changing my fav, too. Some songs I'll have heard a few times, then I'll hear it and WHAMMO! It hits me behind the eyes and I'm in love with it -- I "get" it suddenly. The Man's a genius.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:31 PM   #1021
Glenmark

Funny, I was just thinking about this yesterday, and yes it's an impossible topic, he's written so many truly great songs. But when I think about a GL song I always delight in hearing and playing and singing in all times and places and moods it's "The House You Live In" off Summertime Dream. "Don Quixote" is a close second, "Magnificent Outpouring" third.
Glenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:07 PM   #1022
bratbaby1401

Christian Island. May sound lame, but I remember that song from so long ago and it always evoked these wonderful feelings of just being on that b oat and being free...much better than the real thing. We have a boat and I never go out on it. It was the joy of the singer and the great heart that went into this song that just got to me. All of my Lightfoot vinyls were ruined in Puerto Rico due to mold (everything there rots, believe me!) and I had a Gord's Gold CD and recently bought a double CD of best of's, but no Christian Island. So one of my kids went on a search and finally turned up Don Quixote. Well, of course! How could I have forgotten? So now I've got this wonderful salty seaful song, and it is every bit as good as I remembered it to be.
bratbaby1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:07 PM   #1023
tiabuena

Christian Island. May sound lame, but I remember that song from so long ago and it always evoked these wonderful feelings of just being on that b oat and being free...much better than the real thing. We have a boat and I never go out on it. It was the joy of the singer and the great heart that went into this song that just got to me. All of my Lightfoot vinyls were ruined in Puerto Rico due to mold (everything there rots, believe me!) and I had a Gord's Gold CD and recently bought a double CD of best of's, but no Christian Island. So one of my kids went on a search and finally turned up Don Quixote. Well, of course! How could I have forgotten? So now I've got this wonderful salty seaful song, and it is every bit as good as I remembered it to be.
tiabuena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:20 PM   #1024
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Joe M:

Joe

Why thank you , Joe! SFAWN is definitely my favorite Lightfoot song, although there are several that sit in second place. I've played that song for quite a few years, but it was just a few years ago that I figured out an intro that worked, not exactly what Terry plays, but enough to make the song familiar to any Lightfoot fan when I start playing it.
Sure you're a Mainer. You're in the other Maine, the one that sits below Aroostook County. Both Maines have their good points and their bad points. I enjoy the tranquility and laid back life of Northern Maine, but I hate the five and a half hour drive it takes to get out of the state.
I have a son who lives in Gorham, so I visit your area often. My favorite place in Portland is Buckdancers Music, the best guitar shop in Maine, in my opinion.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:29 PM   #1025
eax

my favorite song is tears in heaven, yknow that one he wrote for his son who died. it really makes me cry. they played it at my prom and we were all crying it was so sad. didn't his son like fall out a window?