banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #1376
JennyLoraam

I've been a Lightfoot fan since the early 70's, but just in passing... you know, all the hits. Since I've married a Lighhead, I've gotten to know the body of his work in much more detail.

My favorite song is Restless. The note that plays in the back of the song just pulls me. I went to look a the lyrics to pull out a line or two to post here, but I can't. It's the entire song.

There's a kind of a restless feeling and it pulls me from within
It sets my senses reeling and my wheels begin to spin
In the quietude of winter you can hear the wild geese cry
And I will always love that sound until the day I die

There's a plain and a simple answer to each and every quest
From every quiet dance who might be a special guest
In a movie made for TV or a late night interview
You might even find them on the Young and the Restless too

Do ya get that restless feelin' when you hear a whistle blast
Like an echo from the past
Of an old engine flyin' down a road that's ironcast

The lake is blue, the sky is gray, the leaves have turned to gold
The wild goose will be on her way, the weather's much too cold
When the muskie and the old trout too have all gone down to rest
We will be returning to the things that we love best

Do ya get that restless yearning when you think about your dad
And the scrimshaw that he had
Of an old schooner rovin' 'neath a sky that's ironclad

There's a kind of a restless feeling and it catches you off guard
As we gaze off at the distance through the trees in my back yard
I can feel that restless yearning of those geese as off they roam
Then trade that for a warm bed and a place I can call home

Will ya get that restless yearning when you hear the wicked blast
Of a spectre from the past
Of a cold diesel rollin' down a road that's built to last

Still I get that restless feelin' when I hear a whistle blast
See an image from the past
Of an old schooner flyin' down a sky that's overcast

My Lighthead and I spend untold hours out exploring as much of the world as we can. It's usually a short trip out of the city, but it's always that one note, calling throughout that song, that pulls me, every time.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #1377
hiway songs

I've been a Lightfoot fan since the early 70's, but just in passing... you know, all the hits. Since I've married a Lighhead, I've gotten to know the body of his work in much more detail.

My favorite song is Restless. The note that plays in the back of the song just pulls me. I went to look a the lyrics to pull out a line or two to post here, but I can't. It's the entire song.

There's a kind of a restless feeling and it pulls me from within
It sets my senses reeling and my wheels begin to spin
In the quietude of winter you can hear the wild geese cry
And I will always love that sound until the day I die

There's a plain and a simple answer to each and every quest
From every quiet dance who might be a special guest
In a movie made for TV or a late night interview
You might even find them on the Young and the Restless too

Do ya get that restless feelin' when you hear a whistle blast
Like an echo from the past
Of an old engine flyin' down a road that's ironcast

The lake is blue, the sky is gray, the leaves have turned to gold
The wild goose will be on her way, the weather's much too cold
When the muskie and the old trout too have all gone down to rest
We will be returning to the things that we love best

Do ya get that restless yearning when you think about your dad
And the scrimshaw that he had
Of an old schooner rovin' 'neath a sky that's ironclad

There's a kind of a restless feeling and it catches you off guard
As we gaze off at the distance through the trees in my back yard
I can feel that restless yearning of those geese as off they roam
Then trade that for a warm bed and a place I can call home

Will ya get that restless yearning when you hear the wicked blast
Of a spectre from the past
Of a cold diesel rollin' down a road that's built to last

Still I get that restless feelin' when I hear a whistle blast
See an image from the past
Of an old schooner flyin' down a sky that's overcast

My Lighthead and I spend untold hours out exploring as much of the world as we can. It's usually a short trip out of the city, but it's always that one note, calling throughout that song, that pulls me, every time.
hiway songs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #1378
Borderstone

A most favorite off of "East Of Midnight" is "I'll Tag Along". I love those lyrics and the overall message & mood.

Best of all though,there are in existence "acoustic" versions that I hear are even better than that 1986 track!

Oh and I just happened to notice..post #800 for this topic! Wow!

Glad I got the day off! :D
Old 03-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #1379
robthegotomanhome

Send a message via ICQ to robthegotomanhome

Quote:
Originally posted by Florian:
What is your favorite Lightfoot Song & Why?

(topic originated by Wes Steele)

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited February 26, 2000).]
Old 03-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #1380
mynoah

Quote:

Old 03-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #1381
micglor

The fact that "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" brings me to tears every single time I hear it (and has for the last thirty years) should qualify it as my favorite! There is also a rather obscure song from early on that I especially like but I don't recall the title. It was very short, less than a minute, and the lyrics were to the effect of "it would take a full-blooded Indian heart to take what you dish out and I'm only 1/8 Cherokee." Sorry if that's not accurate, but I haven't heard it in years. I always thought it was really cool. Actually, I'm hard-pressed to pick a favorite, unless of course it's the "Edmund Fitzgerald." A gallant tribute to gallant men!
micglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #1382
charlene

Quote:
"it would take a full-blooded Indian heart to take what you dish out and I'm only 1/8 Cherokee." [/QB]
hmmmm.... can't say I know of a Lightfoot tune with lyrics in any way similar to those..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #1383
charlene

Quote:
"it would take a full-blooded Indian heart to take what you dish out and I'm only 1/8 Cherokee." [/QB]
hmmmm.... can't say I know of a Lightfoot tune with lyrics in any way similar to those..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:05 AM   #1384
Jim W.

Quote:
Did she mention my name, because It was so appropriate to me at one time and I have not forgoten.

Jim W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:15 AM   #1385
Jim W.

Quote:
Did she mention my name, because It was so appropriate to me at one time and I have not forgoten. Won't you say hello from someone, there'll be no need to explain. doesn't get much better than this, does it?

Jim W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:51 PM   #1386
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

A new favourite of mine that I've been listening to A LOT lately is Restless, from the WFY album.

As so many have commented on it similarly, its melody is haunting, and the lyrics are quintessential GL outdoors-feel.

I find my self setting the CD in the car on repeat on Restless for many times over often. I do find the much discussed "Ring Them Bells" written by Dylan on WFY right after Restless to be a beautiful song as well. A fitting song for GL to pay another tribute to one of his mentors early on with.

I'd still have to say my all-time favourite, outside of his top 5 or so hits from the 70's, would be "That Same Old Obsession", from ODR. His voice was a well-oiled machine in this song (that didn't come out quite right, but you know what I mean; vibrato, clear, strong, hale and hearty and all that good stuff ).

In a similar vein, the songs: Now and Then from COTS, Tattoo from Salute, and I definately agree with Borderstone on "I'll Tag Along" from EOM.

And yup, I too have heard what I'd say is the more acoustic version done solo in concert, along with EOM the song itself done same way, and they are magnificent.

To further obfuscate my allready blown "one favourite song" premise LOL, I'd add that his most fascinating song to me, that gets a lot of repeat action still by me, is: "Is There Anyone Home" from Sundown.

I know I have waxed enthusiastic on this one so many times I'll not repeat the same thoughts, given that I even devoted a whole thread to it; but aside from the others that are favourites of mine for reasons of melody, lyrics, or both above, this song hangs in memory for so long each time I play it as a distinguishing characteristic.

Despite not being a relative masterpiece of his by comparison, it still leaves one wondering about the meanings, metaphors, and meanderings in the song that are so beautifully underscored by the soaring *REAL* string section that make you want to inhale the aroma of autumn leaves, or pine trees after a rain, or whatever sensory orts that come to mind when one listens to this song. It is absolutely captivating to me.

OK those are my non-sequiter GL musical thoughts for the day that I hope strike a chord in someone I haven't posted much at all in the last two months, and it feels good to stretch my GL legs a bit here, so thanks for bearing with me. I've missed all yuse guys

geo Steve
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:25 AM   #1387
brink-

Hi Geo Steve, long time gone....hope all is well.
I agree with the Now and Then - fabulous song.
Don't be a stranger, come back often. "Is There Anyone Home"? we are!
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #1388
Gitchigumee

I have been itching to buy another Lightfoot CD, but I'm having a very difficult time deciding which one to buy next. So far I have: Gord's Gold, Complete Greatest Hits, United Artists Collection & Harmony.

Help!
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #1389
Gitchigumee

I ordered Sundown. Patience is not one of my virtues.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #1390
Fitzy

pick my favorite song ? that's like picking my favorite child . It's rainy day people . I do have ot say I have a limited exposure to his music though I am working on getting on other cds.
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #1391
dragon_fly

pick my favorite song ? that's like picking my favorite child . It's rainy day people . I do have ot say I have a limited exposure to his music though I am working on getting on other cds.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:26 AM   #1392
lokenoch

I can't come up with a favorite,too many, But I will always associate Edmond Fitzgerald with my first prgnancy. I loved that song and I played it alot the fall of 1976.
And Sundown,,,, I remember skipping days in high school to go have a little fun with a boyfriend.... "Getting lost in your loving is your first mistake". LOL...
lokenoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:26 AM   #1393
LesLee

I can't come up with a favorite,too many, But I will always associate Edmond Fitzgerald with my first prgnancy. I loved that song and I played it alot the fall of 1976.
And Sundown,,,, I remember skipping days in high school to go have a little fun with a boyfriend.... "Getting lost in your loving is your first mistake". LOL...
LesLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:59 PM   #1394
Germany76

Sorry, but I have only managed to ascertain my top three songs from my top 100.
They are: Race Among The Ruins, Summer Side Of Life and 14 Karat Gold.
They would be equal favourite and there would be another ten that would be equal second favourite.
Ben
Germany76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:59 PM   #1395
lokenoch

Sorry, but I have only managed to ascertain my top three songs from my top 100.
They are: Race Among The Ruins, Summer Side Of Life and 14 Karat Gold.
They would be equal favourite and there would be another ten that would be equal second favourite.
Ben
lokenoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #1396
louisemnnpls

Send a message via Yahoo to louisemnnpls

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yooper89:
It's really hard to choose, even though I've heard only 11 or so of his songs, because I've seriously listened to the same CD hundreds of times since I was very young. I've grown up listening to Gord.

Yooper89,
Are you a real bonafide "Yooper"? Just wondering, as I was born and raised in the UP of MI.

As for my favorite GL songs, haven't posted any until now, as they change from day to day and season to season. But, they do include, "Song for a Winter's Night", "Canadian Railroad Trilogy",
"If You could Read MY Mind", "The Wreck of (the Edmund Fitzgerald)", "Sit Down Young Stranger",
"Yarmouth Castle", "Pussywillows Cattails".....
there are just SO many! There isn't one that I don't like.

Right now, today, it might be "Sit Down Young Stranger" as we have not seen our 19 year old grandson since Thanksgiving, and he is much on my mind.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:23 PM   #1397
Catherine Kunz

My favorite GL song with out a doubt is "If You Could Read My Mind". This is the first song of his I ever heard and between the voice and guitar I was hooked. I was in my teens and and my father had just died. I was going through all the emotional trials personal relationships at that age can bring. The lyrics cut right to the heart of things and as an emotionally bleeding teen I was the "Hero" that "often fails". Later came "Sundown", "Carefree Highway", "The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald" (I had it on 45 rpm vinyl!). I am like so many other fans, there are noneof his songs that I don't like.

It will always be "If You Could Read My Mind" that transports me back to a time when I needed to hear someone else going through the same trials as I. I still get misty eyed and remember a different time of life when I hear it by surprise on the radio. Thanks Gordon, for bringing me through it all.
Catherine Kunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:23 PM   #1398
SGT

My favorite GL song with out a doubt is "If You Could Read My Mind". This is the first song of his I ever heard and between the voice and guitar I was hooked. I was in my teens and and my father had just died. I was going through all the emotional trials personal relationships at that age can bring. The lyrics cut right to the heart of things and as an emotionally bleeding teen I was the "Hero" that "often fails". Later came "Sundown", "Carefree Highway", "The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald" (I had it on 45 rpm vinyl!). I am like so many other fans, there are noneof his songs that I don't like.

It will always be "If You Could Read My Mind" that transports me back to a time when I needed to hear someone else going through the same trials as I. I still get misty eyed and remember a different time of life when I hear it by surprise on the radio. Thanks Gordon, for bringing me through it all.
SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:37 PM   #1399
bjm7777

Fav song, boy that is tough. I believe it to be for me "The Circle is Small" that song came to me at a point in my life where I could not express to anyone what I was feeling or going through. I heard that song and realized it did not matter what anyone else thought, but that someone out there in the universe got it. That person was Mr. Lightfoot, and he got it way before me. So much solice for me in that song. Now a few years later I listen to it and think wow thank you for having the words that even the closest people to my heart did not have for me. It is like close enough to let your mind go there in a few private moments, but not some thing you can't explain to another human being. That is true music genius helping people and not even knowing who they are. Your message is so sincere and real there are others in the universe who get you, and you don't even know you.
bjm7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:37 PM   #1400
Fitzy

Fav song, boy that is tough. I believe it to be for me "The Circle is Small" that song came to me at a point in my life where I could not express to anyone what I was feeling or going through. I heard that song and realized it did not matter what anyone else thought, but that someone out there in the universe got it. That person was Mr. Lightfoot, and he got it way before me. So much solice for me in that song. Now a few years later I listen to it and think wow thank you for having the words that even the closest people to my heart did not have for me. It is like close enough to let your mind go there in a few private moments, but not some thing you can't explain to another human being. That is true music genius helping people and not even knowing who they are. Your message is so sincere and real there are others in the universe who get you, and you don't even know you.
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote