banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 01:42 AM   #1
Rich Man Spiritual

I've been a member of the www.catstevens.com website for a long time. They have a great community and a great chatroom. Lots of good people meet and chat there. I think it'd be great if there was a GL chatroom like that here. Anyone agree? Is it even possible?

Cheers,
Brian

------------------
Whatever you think of me I'm still your friend, so other than nothin', what's new?
Rich Man Spiritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:42 AM   #2
Meekrofilm

I've been a member of the www.catstevens.com website for a long time. They have a great community and a great chatroom. Lots of good people meet and chat there. I think it'd be great if there was a GL chatroom like that here. Anyone agree? Is it even possible?

Cheers,
Brian

------------------
Whatever you think of me I'm still your friend, so other than nothin', what's new?
Meekrofilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
djb

John Fowles runs a chatroom every Friday evening at 9pm (USA eastern time). It's waaaay past my bedtime, but I'm sure John has the link and the instructions.

And welcome, Brian, it's a pleasure to see you over here too. You do indeed have fabulous taste in music. The Lightheads are a great bunch to hang out with.

To the GL gang: I can speak very highly of Brian, who I know from the Al Stewart list. He is an intelligent poster and a talented musician. He is most welcome.

-- David in Sweden
Old 02-20-2005, 03:19 PM   #4
djb

John Fowles runs a chatroom every Friday evening at 9pm (USA eastern time). It's waaaay past my bedtime, but I'm sure John has the link and the instructions.

And welcome, Brian, it's a pleasure to see you over here too. You do indeed have fabulous taste in music. The Lightheads are a great bunch to hang out with.

To the GL gang: I can speak very highly of Brian, who I know from the Al Stewart list. He is an intelligent poster and a talented musician. He is most welcome.

-- David in Sweden
Old 02-20-2005, 04:51 PM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Meekrofilm:

Cheers,
Brian

Thanks for the plug David
my delayed reply to Brian follows:-
Interesting proposal Brian especially from a fan of somebody who like Gordon who also (almost) was prevented from entering the States a while back. In fact I do believe that the very beginning of internet Lighfoot chat room activity was initiated by a number of AOL members using AOL Instant Messenger for real time contact a practice that continues to this day. A recent Newsgroup thread included a reference to those (good?) old days.
However essentially because not all Lightheads are AOLers Rik Stevens in 1997 added a chat room facility to his tribute site at:- http://home.europa.com/~random7/
I thankfully found that room in May 1999 met a sweet young fan called Susan masquerading as "gordlover" and she ended up saving my life under a year later and moreover becoming my wife.
At one time we held two sessions per week
(on Tuesday and Friday evenings at 9 pm EST)
and added a third on Sunday afternoon UK time) and I believe it was the latter to which Bruna ( known here as silverheels) made her debut whilst I was in hospital in January 2000.Hence I am so keen and persistant in keeping a chat room going
See my weekly reminders under the topic title:-
"Highlights of the past week" at:- http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002411.html
Rik's original troom was hosted by an Internet Relay Chat Provider organisation that ceased offering the facility due to hackers etc so I resurrected it on another provider and it continues to operate very successfully despite world time zone differences.
We usually get about 6 to 10 chatters in every week and up to 30 on momentous occasions like the day Gord was hospitalized

Please realise that the room is always there 365/24/7.
so if you wish to set up any other sessions be my guest.
At the moment Friday evening seems to work because if a sesion were to carry on late then it is into a non-working day (Saturday) (back in 1999/2000 I frequently had problems on Wednesday mornings UK time after Susan had kept me up late chatting!!
Over to you Brian.
Do drop in this coming Friday
AND register here as a member which I constantly try to say has benefits to you
John Fowles
did you know that Parker Brothers has lost the nmonopoly on the name Monopoly??

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:51 PM   #6
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Meekrofilm:

Cheers,
Brian

Thanks for the plug David
my delayed reply to Brian follows:-
Interesting proposal Brian especially from a fan of somebody who like Gordon who also (almost) was prevented from entering the States a while back. In fact I do believe that the very beginning of internet Lighfoot chat room activity was initiated by a number of AOL members using AOL Instant Messenger for real time contact a practice that continues to this day. A recent Newsgroup thread included a reference to those (good?) old days.
However essentially because not all Lightheads are AOLers Rik Stevens in 1997 added a chat room facility to his tribute site at:- http://home.europa.com/~random7/
I thankfully found that room in May 1999 met a sweet young fan called Susan masquerading as "gordlover" and she ended up saving my life under a year later and moreover becoming my wife.
and added a third on Sunday afternoon UK time) and I believe it was the latter to which Bruna ( known here as silverheels) made her debut whilst I was in hospital in January 2000.Hence I am so keen and persistant in keeping a chat room going
See my weekly reminders under the topic title:-
"Highlights of the past week" at:- http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002411.html
Rik's original troom was hosted by an Internet Relay Chat Provider organisation that ceased offering the facility due to hackers etc so I resurrected it on another provider and it continues to operate very successfully despite world time zone differences.
We usually get about 6 to 10 chatters in every week and up to 30 on momentous occasions like the day Gord was hospitalized

Please realise that the room is always there 365/24/7.
so if you wish to set up any other sessions be my guest.
At the moment Friday evening seems to work because if a sesion were to carry on late then it is into a non-working day (Saturday) (back in 1999/2000 I frequently had problems on Wednesday mornings UK time after Susan had kept me up late chatting!!
Over to you Brian.
Do drop in this coming Friday
AND register here as a member which I constantly try to say has benefits to you
John Fowles
did you know that Parker Brothers has lost the nmonopoly on the name Monopoly??

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:10 PM   #7
SilverHeels

quote:
and added a third on Sunday afternoon UK time) and I believe it was the latter to which Bruna ( known here as silverheels) made her debut whilst I was in hospital in January 2000.[/B]

John, you are correct indeed. 5 years ago!
Welcome Brian, you are very welcome.

SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:16 PM   #8
Rich Man Spiritual

Well, I'd love to drop in on that chat at sometime, the only problem is that I am rarely home on Friday evenings. I will say the chat is at a reasonable time, though. 8pm cst! It doesn't get more prime time than that!

I do look forward to meeting the rest of you through this board and eventually the chatroom.

Cheers,
Brian www.thebarnacles.com

David, thanks for the kind words.
Rich Man Spiritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:16 PM   #9
Meekrofilm

Well, I'd love to drop in on that chat at sometime, the only problem is that I am rarely home on Friday evenings. I will say the chat is at a reasonable time, though. 8pm cst! It doesn't get more prime time than that!

I do look forward to meeting the rest of you through this board and eventually the chatroom.

Cheers,
Brian www.thebarnacles.com

David, thanks for the kind words.
Meekrofilm is offline   Reply With Quote