banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
charlene

Default Cincinnati Interview

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d.../80314004/1025
Cincinnati.Com » The Enquirer » Entertainment » Gordon Lightfoot steps out again

Last Updated: 5:49 am | Friday, March 14, 2008

Gordon Lightfoot steps out again
After overcoming a disastrous illness, he's back on tour
BY PAUL CLARK | PCLARK@ENQUIRER.COM

Gordon Lightfoot left heavy footprints on the pop charts during the 1970s with such hits as “If You Could Read My Mind,” “Rainy Day People,” “Carefree Highway” and “Sundown.” We caught up with the singer-songwriter, now 69, in conjunction with his April 4 appearance at the Aronoff.

Your most recent album, “Harmony,” came out four years ago, but it was something of a departure for you.

That album was an afterthought. I had an illness and did it independently.

I read that you were in a coma for several weeks.

That was at the beginning, but the illness kept me down for two years.

It was an abdominal problem?

It was a burst artery which caused an abdominal hemorrhage. The leak came from the aorta.

How are you feeling these days?

Good. They totally rearranged my entire lower section. The album turned out well. They’re rough tracks, though they’re really fresh.

Do you have a record deal now?

I don’t want a record deal. My last one ended in 1998. I’d had a record deal since 1965, 31 years when I just ate and slept songwriting, on deadline throughout. I did 19 original albums – the 20th was the independent one.

Any plans to do more recording?

No, not really. We’re having a wonderful time doing shows, 50-60 shows all over North America. We’re doing 10 shows in 12 days on the tour that includes Cincinnati. We have three more tours coming up this year. Between them we charge our batteries, look after our families and our responsibilities.

Of all the artists who have covered your songs, which covers do you like most?

There are seven or eight who stand out. Elvis, Barbra Streisand, Dylan; Peter, Paul and Mary. The Kingston Trio, even. They did a version of “Early Morning Rain.”

What singers or songwriters do you think you’ve influenced?

There are a few who’ve said I’ve influenced them, but probably no one luminous.

You started out in jazz; what led you into folk singing?

I got interested during the big folk revival. The folk boom was under way about 1960, ’61. I started playing guitar when I was 15. My big influences were Pete Seeger, the Weavers and a lesser-known guy named Bob Gibson.

What sort of mix will you have in your Cincinnati show?

We do (the hit songs) but I don’t have to lay that on too thick. People expect to hear them. We usually try to field a couple of requests.

Humorists have parodied and otherwise poked fun at “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald,” with Dave Barry among those who’ve called it one of the worst songs of all time. What’s your reaction?

You can tell them that at least it’s in chronological order. I did my research.

Any projects in the works other than the tours?

There’s an Imax movie coming out in May, “Mysteries of the Great Lakes.” “Edmund Fitzgerald” is on it.
__________________________________________________ ____________

IMAX has this at their site for Sept.2008
http://www.imax.com/ImaxWeb/filmDeta...D=code__.__482
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
RM

Default Re: Cincinnati Interview

From the interview :
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
What singers or songwriters do you think you’ve influenced?

There are a few who’ve said I’ve influenced them, but probably no one luminous.
There he goes again showing off his vocabulary. From my understanding of "luminous", that statement confuses me. What makes a person luminous ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
charlene

I think his meaning would be in the context of no one being a "bright star" - - someone of major notice in the music industry - a shining talent sort of thing?
Old 03-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
Jesse Joe

Great interview !

Do you have a record deal now?

I don’t want a record deal. My last one ended in 1998. I’d had a record deal since 1965, 31 years when I just ate and slept songwriting, on deadline throughout. I did 19 original albums – the 20th was the independent one.

I have been eating, sleeping, Gordon Lightfoot since 1969, some 39 years ago...

~ Jesse Joe ~
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:54 PM   #5
RM

Quote:
I think his meaning would be in the context of no one being a "bright star" - - someone of major notice in the music industry - a shining talent sort of thing?
Ma'am, answering a question with a question is of little value (Just kidding !).
Using the parameters you presented, who would you consider "luminous" ?
Old 03-16-2008, 01:07 AM   #6
Paul Farnham

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Farnham

Exposure to radiation can make one "luminous."
Paul Farnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
RM

Good one.

So, a few singer/songwriters have said that Lightfoot was an influence, but it's unlikely that any of them were exposed to radiation.

Case closed.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
ambrose woodfellow

GL has been a great influence on my music. But, as he says, no one luminous. None the less, GL does not give himself enough credit as to the range of his influence.

Having seen GL at Music Hall in Cincinnati twice, I'd love to go to this show but the price of tickets has skyrocketed. Insane pricing. I'd love to support GL on this tour, but unfortunately, it isn't in the cards this trip.

The reporter was wrong to go down the track of GL's medical history. It was obvious GL did not want to go there and quickly changed the topic back to music. Rock GL!

As for The Wreck, it continues, after all these decades, as one of my most revered and loved songs by any artist. I still get chills listening to it. My wife and I were fortunate enough to spend time at Whitefish Point and stay overnight at the Lighthouse facilities. Whitefish point is an incredibly beautiful place. Knowing the heartfelt work that GL put into "The Wreck" and actually being there at WFP solidifies my reverence to not only the song but GL as well.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
charlene

? is my way of saying 'eh'...lol

Well I may be luminous!..I live between two nuclear plants..15 minutes to one and 45 to the other..
but then again I'm not a singer/songwriter..

hmmm. Gord's defintion of luminous seems to infer a 'huge star' and perhaps he was speaking only of his actual musical stylings but his influence as a Canadian artist who did not have to leave home to become the 'star' he is and remains as such has impacted all Canadian artists who have gone on to be hugely famous regardless of their musical leanings. THis would be Celine, Shania, Bryan Adams, Blue Rodeo, Bruce Cockburn, Joni Mitchell, The Guess Who, Murray McLaughlin, Alanis Morrisette, Avril Lavigne, AnneMurrray, Ron Sexsmith, The Hip..so many other artists who are not HUGE names around the world but who are very successful doing what they love. I think so many of them would and have said that he showed them that they can be Canadian, remain here without compromises and have success. Some have moved out of Canada since becoming 'big stars' but they 'made it' before they left and most still have homes here.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
podunklander

Quote:

Well I may be luminous!..I live between two nuclear plants..15 minutes to one and 45 to the other..
but then again I'm not a singer/songwriter..

hmmm. Gord's defintion of luminous seems to infer a 'huge star' and perhaps he was speaking only of his actual musical stylings but his influence as a Canadian artist who did not have to leave home to become the 'star' he is and remains as such has impacted all Canadian artists who have gone on to be hugely famous regardless of their musical leanings. THis would be Celine, Shania, Bryan Adams, Blue Rodeo, Bruce Cockburn, Joni Mitchell, The Guess Who, Murray McLaughlin, Alanis Morrisette, Avril Lavigne, AnneMurrray, Ron Sexsmith, The Hip..so many other artists who are not HUGE names around the world but who are very successful doing what they love. I think so many of them would and have said that he showed them that they can be Canadian, remain here without compromises and have success. Some have moved out of Canada since becoming 'big stars' but they 'made it' before they left and most still have homes here.
Well said, Charlene (a luminary figure here on Corfid)! Whether performing artists or not, many people have to leave their home lands for the resources, etc., they need to become successful. For sure Gordon Lightfoot has paved the way for his fellow Canadians.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
Jesse Joe

You know that I agree with what you say 100% Char...
Old 03-16-2008, 03:08 PM   #12
Jesse Joe

Welcome to Corfid ambrose woodfellow, hope to see you post many of your Lightfoot stories...
Old 03-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
Jesse Joe

"Well I may be luminous!..I live between two nuclear plants..15 minutes to one and 45 to the other".. Charlene

Char do you glow in the dark ?
Old 03-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
Jesse Joe

Glowing in the dark !
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #15
RM

Quote:
I was unaware of that Ma'am. (Canadians talk funny)

You state your radiated perspective well.