banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
Tim

Default Springfield, Illinois (14 Sep 2011)

Concert was great last night. My family had the pleasure of getting reacquainted with Kelly Davis and his lovely wife, Loretta. The venue was small, maybe held a thousand, but it was a very enthusiastic audience. Before I get to the set list, here are a few observations:

- Red Velvet Coat for the first set; black, long sleeve dress shirt for the second

- Gordon's voice was great. Some raspiness but those moments were few. Most of the time he came out strong and clear -- it was great to hear him sounding like that.

- He offered a fair amount of chatter between songs, but didn't hear any of the usual jokes, he mentioned how much he "appreciated the work" and that he is doing 40 shows this fall

- This was my first concert without Terry; Carter sounded fantastic. He fingerpicked some of the songs where you would expect flat picking but they sounded phenomenal. Carter was masterful at capturing the traditional Lightfoot sound (reminding us all of Terry) but adding enough of his own techniques to sound unique -- as well as awesome. Especiallly on Song for a Winter's Night and Triangle.

- The 2 sets contained the expected mix...no surprises, all of the standards were there except CRT and ODR (which he may not be doing on this tour)

- Gordon introduced the band twice and repeatedly spoke about how fortunate he was to work with such a great group of talented guys. It was great to hear him say that.

- Had the opportunity to meet Gordon and the guys after the show. Gord was gracious as always, and we were again struck with how his band are such wonderful people -- so approachable and modest. I have a pic to post, but it's not working. Maybe the file size is too big.

- I'm sure Kelly and Gloria will have some observations as well; thanks for your time and indulgence.

Setlist:

Triangle
Cotton Jenny
14 Karat Gold
Never Too Close
A Painter Passing Through
Let It Ride
Christian Island
Shadows
Beautiful
Carefree Highway
Hangdog Hotel Room
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown
Watchman's Gone
Alberta Bound

Intermission

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Ringneck Loon
Don Quixote
Clouds of Loneliness
In My Fashion
If Children Had Wings
If You Could Read My Mind
Restless
Baby Step Back
Song for a Winter's Night
Early Morning Rain

Encore
Rainy Day People
Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Springfield, Illinois (14 Sep 2011)

could be large file size...send to me if you want..check PM for e-mail... thanks for the report!!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Kelly Davis

Default Re: Springfield, Illinois (14 Sep 2011)

Tim - nice to talk with you and your family again last night. Thanks for getting "Never Too Close" on your list. I'm slipping !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a great evening, wasn't it?

Kelly Davis
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote