banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-30-2005, 09:40 AM   #1
6_string_rookie

"...do you get that restless yearning when you think about your Dad?"

I'm a New Zealander now based here in "Old Europe" and grew up listening to and loving GL, not least because he was my much beloved father's favourite - his voice is not only the very sound of my childhood, but there was always an uncanny resemblance to my Dad in both looks and age. Sadly, Dad passed away much too early, but I've always had Gord there instead whenever I needed to feel him near.

Like all of you I was devastated by the news of Gord's illness in 2002 and decided seeing him live at least once was something I had to do for both me and my Dad. The beautiful thing that has happened to make this plan something so right is that my younger brother is flying over from NZ to join me in this pilgrimage to Orillia.

Can't wait for the 3rd- it would be nice to shake a few of your hands and say thanks for this great forum and being part of one of the most bittersweet journeys I'll make. Cheers!
6_string_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:40 AM   #2
jannie

"...do you get that restless yearning when you think about your Dad?"

I'm a New Zealander now based here in "Old Europe" and grew up listening to and loving GL, not least because he was my much beloved father's favourite - his voice is not only the very sound of my childhood, but there was always an uncanny resemblance to my Dad in both looks and age. Sadly, Dad passed away much too early, but I've always had Gord there instead whenever I needed to feel him near.

Like all of you I was devastated by the news of Gord's illness in 2002 and decided seeing him live at least once was something I had to do for both me and my Dad. The beautiful thing that has happened to make this plan something so right is that my younger brother is flying over from NZ to join me in this pilgrimage to Orillia.

Can't wait for the 3rd- it would be nice to shake a few of your hands and say thanks for this great forum and being part of one of the most bittersweet journeys I'll make. Cheers!
jannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:20 AM   #3
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

This is my fist test reply jannie. I DO get that restless feeling when I think about my Dad, and the [Pipesmoke] that he had. No scrimshaw, but he is rendered unable to speak or walk now by Parkinson's, but he had an indelibly-etched scribe in my memory much like scrimshaw as my hero as a young boy. Gord was staggeringly absorbing music for me in my troubled teens; first loves etc.; and after ISTAHITH Made of Stone was transfixed by his music and imagery and forever was converted from Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, etc.... so sorry to hear about your father. Be happy to have anyone show me the ropes in this forum,. I have not been active on a computer (despite my profession) since a mountaineering accident followed by car crash and head injury circa 6 years ago. I barely remember chatting in Pentium I days in a Gord room with a few key members some of you Lightheads may know - Wayne Francis, PlumbGuru2, and a wonderful MOM-type lady to me and my family named .....oh boy.... Sharon ? - a lady who tongue-in-cheek was madly in love with Gordon and about the same age. I am staggerred to hear Gordon's medical travails since I was into chatting no later than about 2001 in the above room. She sent me a 6-hour ( ! ) custom compiled VHS of all TV appearances known to her (Sharon, or PLEASE update my damaged memory). Well Jannie heloo from Colorado and please humbly permit my embarrassing first posting. Thanks ! - geodeticman
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:41 AM   #4
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Hi geoditicman,
I think you must be talking about Shirley from Oklahoma City. Both Shirley and Doug (Plumguru) still post on the newsgroup, along with a few other oldtimers, and I'm sure they'd love to hear from you. Do you know how to access newsgroups?

Incidently, I also had a brain injury. In August, I had a ruptured aneurysm between my left temple and eyebrow, and I know exactly what you are going through.
I've been going to therapy ever since, and am still attending a brain injury clinic. At first, I had just about NO short term memory, but it seems to be coming back.

Best of luck, and let me know if you need help subscribing to the newsgroup. You can e-mail me at cathy@cathycowette.com if you need help.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
charlene

I'm wondering if I sent you that VHS. I know I did a hundred or more - each was pretty well indidualized and the cost was subsidized by our webmaster - Florian.
Char
(charlene in whitby,Ontario)
but i'm not gord's age.....was it Shirley in Oklahoma?? I know I sent her one of the VHS tapes I was making....I think it was end of 99, early 2000...gee my memory is shot too and I don't remember having any medical dilemmas....lol
hmmmm.....
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
charlene

I'm wondering if I sent you that VHS. I know I did a hundred or more - each was pretty well indidualized and the cost was subsidized by our webmaster - Florian.
Char
(charlene in whitby,Ontario)
but i'm not gord's age.....was it Shirley in Oklahoma?? I know I sent her one of the VHS tapes I was making....I think it was end of 99, early 2000...gee my memory is shot too and I don't remember having any medical dilemmas....lol
hmmmm.....
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:23 PM   #7
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by geodeticman:
I barely remember chatting in Pentium I days in a Gord room with a few key members some of you Lightheads may know - Wayne Francis, PlumbGuru2, and a wonderful MOM-type lady to me and my family named .....(Sharon, or PLEASE update my damaged memory). Well Jannie heloo from Colorado and please humbly permit my embarrassing first posting. Thanks ! - geodeticman
Hi Geodeticman
to add to Cathy's helpful reply by mentioning Shirley and Plunguru2/Doug I suspect that the chat room you spoke of was the original AOL-only setup.
This was superceded in 1997/98 by Rik Stephen's room that I joined in 1999 where I met the most wonderful fans including Susan from New Jersey who is right now making me some chicken soup to help my nasty cold.
The Internet Relay Chat server Rik used eventually gave up the struggle with internet vandals so I now run a replacement. See the topics on the successful Friday and Saturday evening (9PM EST) chats that are advertised each week here.
Both Doug and Shirley have been known to attend and we visited Doug near San Diego last April
But Shirley Hoggard is pretty well house bound nowadays
Doug occasionally posts here as "doug "
Cathy referred to the Newsgroup that Wayne Francis started in 1994 (alt.music.lightfoot)
Indeed his current great site at:-
http://www/lightfoot.ca/
is largely based on voluminous FAQ Sheets that he posted on the Newsgroup
I created a short link to it:-
http://www.newsgroup.notlong.com
To actually post there you have to sign up with google groups
I am intrigued by your screenname and can only conclude that you either work in the construction industry or that your surname is either Buckminster,Fuller,Barnes or Wallis. Why??
Well I fondly recall Buckminster Fuller's great geodetic US Pavilion at Montreal's Expo 1967

BF''s "geodetic" head:-

and the great British "dambuster's" bomb and aircraft designerBarnes Wallis who used geodetic principles for the fuselage of his World War 2 bomber the Vickers Wellington

previously he had worked with my favo(u)ite author
Nevil Shute
on the privately funded R100 airship

The R100 at Montreal in 1930
Interestingly I had never seen before that Barnes' middle name was Neville
John Fowles
Here endeth today's history lesson boys and girls!!
Oh do shut your face Sydney hooligan!!
Anyway G-Man I'll send you a private message from this site giving you the current email addys for Doug and Shirley perhaps we can look forwards to a reunion of the threein the chat room of you one Friday

[ February 19, 2006, 13:52: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:23 PM   #8
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by geodeticman:
I barely remember chatting in Pentium I days in a Gord room with a few key members some of you Lightheads may know - Wayne Francis, PlumbGuru2, and a wonderful MOM-type lady to me and my family named .....(Sharon, or PLEASE update my damaged memory). Well Jannie heloo from Colorado and please humbly permit my embarrassing first posting. Thanks ! - geodeticman
Hi Geodeticman
to add to Cathy's helpful reply by mentioning Shirley and Plunguru2/Doug I suspect that the chat room you spoke of was the original AOL-only setup.
This was superceded in 1997/98 by Rik Stephen's room that I joined in 1999 where I met the most wonderful fans including Susan from New Jersey who is right now making me some chicken soup to help my nasty cold.
The Internet Relay Chat server Rik used eventually gave up the struggle with internet vandals so I now run a replacement. See the topics on the successful Friday and Saturday evening (9PM EST) chats that are advertised each week here.
Both Doug and Shirley have been known to attend and we visited Doug near San Diego last April
But Shirley Hoggard is pretty well house bound nowadays
Doug occasionally posts here as "doug "
Cathy referred to the Newsgroup that Wayne Francis started in 1994 (alt.music.lightfoot)
Indeed his current great site at:-
http://www/lightfoot.ca/
is largely based on voluminous FAQ Sheets that he posted on the Newsgroup
I created a short link to it:-
http://www.newsgroup.notlong.com
To actually post there you have to sign up with google groups
I am intrigued by your screenname and can only conclude that you either work in the construction industry or that your surname is either Buckminster,Fuller,Barnes or Wallis. Why??
Well I fondly recall Buckminster Fuller's great geodetic US Pavilion at Montreal's Expo 1967

BF''s "geodetic" head:-

and the great British "dambuster's" bomb and aircraft designerBarnes Wallis who used geodetic principles for the fuselage of his World War 2 bomber the Vickers Wellington

previously he had worked with my favo(u)ite author
Nevil Shute
on the privately funded R100 airship

The R100 at Montreal in 1930
Interestingly I had never seen before that Barnes' middle name was Neville
John Fowles
Here endeth today's history lesson boys and girls!!
Oh do shut your face Sydney hooligan!!
Anyway G-Man I'll send you a private message from this site giving you the current email addys for Doug and Shirley perhaps we can look forwards to a reunion of the threein the chat room of you one Friday

[ February 19, 2006, 13:52: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote