banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-20-2000, 10:39 AM   #1
Dorothea

Dear all,
If I had to pick my six or seven favourite Gord albums,the final four would be among them....Strange eh?
They sound forever fresh!Does anyone else hold this view?

Frank.
Dorothea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2000, 10:39 AM   #2
Frank v

Dear all,
If I had to pick my six or seven favourite Gord albums,the final four would be among them....Strange eh?
They sound forever fresh!Does anyone else hold this view?

Frank.
Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2000, 12:38 PM   #3
rainydayperson

I'd probably leave out the final two. Even though I've purchased them and would purchase anything else he records...I feel they are his weaker productions due to lack of full voice. Some of the more recent material sounds as though it should have had more takes to get the voice right.

I'd like to see whoever makes the final mix decisions on Mr. Lightfoots music to put more emphasis on his voice. I prefer to hear Gord and what he is singing with more clarity.

I'm wondering if a temporary break from touring would help out his voice any.

Forgive me if I've brought up a touchy subject with my reply, Frank. I want to see the best for Gord and even wonder if a temporary (and I emphasize temporary) break from touring would help his voice any. I realize that past vices have taken their toll but I hope for the best.
rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2000, 12:38 PM   #4
classicmixdj

I'd probably leave out the final two. Even though I've purchased them and would purchase anything else he records...I feel they are his weaker productions due to lack of full voice. Some of the more recent material sounds as though it should have had more takes to get the voice right.

I'd like to see whoever makes the final mix decisions on Mr. Lightfoots music to put more emphasis on his voice. I prefer to hear Gord and what he is singing with more clarity.

Forgive me if I've brought up a touchy subject with my reply, Frank. I want to see the best for Gord and even wonder if a temporary (and I emphasize temporary) break from touring would help his voice any. I realize that past vices have taken their toll but I hope for the best.
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2000, 02:10 PM   #5
Dorothea

CMDJ,
There's been a misunderstanding...LOL
I meant the final four as in the unreleased on CD. ODR, DSR, Shadows and Salute.

Frank.
Old 10-20-2000, 02:10 PM   #6
Frank v

CMDJ,
There's been a misunderstanding...LOL
I meant the final four as in the unreleased on CD. ODR, DSR, Shadows and Salute.

Frank.
Old 10-20-2000, 03:55 PM   #7
rainydayperson

As they say on Saturday Night Live (do you get in GB)..."never mind." (lol)

Incidently, I'd be interested, Frank, in your feedback on what I said so long as we can manage our way back to the threads original topic.
rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2000, 03:55 PM   #8
classicmixdj

As they say on Saturday Night Live (do you get in GB)..."never mind." (lol)

Incidently, I'd be interested, Frank, in your feedback on what I said so long as we can manage our way back to the threads original topic.
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2000, 04:23 PM   #9
Dorothea

CMDJ,
We get all your shows over here...
LOL I really like the last three albums!
Salute is the fourth...Counting backwards.
I think it maybe because the 70's albums have been around longer.I've heard them more.
As I've think I've said before,what is best, isn't necessarily your favourite.

Frank.
Old 10-20-2000, 04:23 PM   #10
Frank v

CMDJ,
We get all your shows over here...
LOL I really like the last three albums!
Salute is the fourth...Counting backwards.
I think it maybe because the 70's albums have been around longer.I've heard them more.
As I've think I've said before,what is best, isn't necessarily your favourite.

Frank.
Old 10-20-2000, 05:44 PM   #11
joveski

I agree. They probably are my faves. Especially DSR and shadows. I've had them converted to CD, and they both sound so fresh and similar. They're powerful and have strong songs. Same with Salute.
ODR has stacks of catchy little tunes to (Farewell annabel and hiway songs ect)
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2000, 03:04 AM   #12
gathrb

quote:Originally posted by classicmixdj:

-----------
I'm B-a-ck! Finally got my computer 25Gig Hard-Drive replaced. I lost over 1000 MP3's! It's taken me a few days to get some of my programs re-installed and about 200 MP3's! A few days ago I was finally able to see the Gordon Lightfoot PBS TV Special from Las Vegas! I thought his voice and band members never sounded better! The Bass player did an exceptional job. I liked his last song best..."Canadian Railroad Trilogy" a classy ending to a class act. More Power To Ya Gord! Hope to see more of Gord on TV.

------------------
"...If YoU fEeL iT yOu BeTtEr BeLiEvE iT, yOu'Re GoNnA sEe It, YoU nEeD tO kNoW/iT iS rIsInG lIkE a FeAtHeR, dIpPiNg & DaNcInG fRoM bElOw/ThErE's A nEw WaVe ThAt Is BrEaKiNg In ThE wAkE oF a PaSsInG sHiP/eVeRy NaTiOn'S gOnNa Be ShAkEn, PuT iT tOgEtHeR, dOn'T lEt It SlIp..."
gathrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2000, 03:04 AM   #13
Tom

quote:Originally posted by classicmixdj:

-----------
I'm B-a-ck! Finally got my computer 25Gig Hard-Drive replaced. I lost over 1000 MP3's! It's taken me a few days to get some of my programs re-installed and about 200 MP3's! A few days ago I was finally able to see the Gordon Lightfoot PBS TV Special from Las Vegas! I thought his voice and band members never sounded better! The Bass player did an exceptional job. I liked his last song best..."Canadian Railroad Trilogy" a classy ending to a class act. More Power To Ya Gord! Hope to see more of Gord on TV.

------------------
"...If YoU fEeL iT yOu BeTtEr BeLiEvE iT, yOu'Re GoNnA sEe It, YoU nEeD tO kNoW/iT iS rIsInG lIkE a FeAtHeR, dIpPiNg & DaNcInG fRoM bElOw/ThErE's A nEw WaVe ThAt Is BrEaKiNg In ThE wAkE oF a PaSsInG sHiP/eVeRy NaTiOn'S gOnNa Be ShAkEn, PuT iT tOgEtHeR, dOn'T lEt It SlIp..."
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2000, 08:39 AM   #14
Dorothea

Welcome back Tom,
Your interesting posts have been missed.
I hope you had a good time in Florida,despite the rain!

Frank.
Old 10-22-2000, 08:39 AM   #15
Frank v

Welcome back Tom,
Your interesting posts have been missed.
I hope you had a good time in Florida,despite the rain!

Frank.
Old 11-16-2000, 06:30 PM   #16
Wingdrops

Not Salute or DSR (perhaps because I am not too fond of either title track).

Although I would not have said so a year ago, I am coming to the view that Shadows is Gord's best album ("best" meaning "my favorite"), edging out DonQ. Then a tie for third between ODR and Sundown. SundayConcert and IYCRMM follow close behind.

(I'm not including any anthologies.)

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
Wingdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2000, 06:30 PM   #17
2Much2Lose

Not Salute or DSR (perhaps because I am not too fond of either title track).

Although I would not have said so a year ago, I am coming to the view that Shadows is Gord's best album ("best" meaning "my favorite"), edging out DonQ. Then a tie for third between ODR and Sundown. SundayConcert and IYCRMM follow close behind.

(I'm not including any anthologies.)

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote