banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
Ol Man River

Gord is on the Canadian live 8 show in Barrie Ontario along with a number of other Canadian artists

Dave
________
SYNTHETIC WEED

Last edited by Ol Man River; 02-24-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Ol Man River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:32 AM   #2
culverd

Gord is on the Canadian live 8 show in Barrie Ontario along with a number of other Canadian artists

Dave
Old 06-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #3
Auburn Annie

Here's the article from Macleans:

Bryan Adams, Barenaked Ladies, Gordon Lightfoot to perform at Canadian Live 8

ANGELA PACIENZA

TORONTO (CP) - Bryan Adams, Jann Arden, Bruce Cockburn, Gordon Lightfoot and The Tragically Hip are among the galaxy of homegrown performers who will take the stage in Barrie, Ont., next month for the Canadian edition of the Live 8 music extravaganza.

"We've had an incredible response from the artistic community," concert magnate Michael Cohl said Tuesday as he announced the lineup and location for the July 2 show.

The event will also feature a satellite performance by Celine Dion as well as performances by Motley Crue, Blue Rodeo, Simple Plan and Our Lady Peace.

The Rolling Stones, who are spending the summer in Toronto practising for a fall tour, were not announced as part of the lineup, but Cohl - who has a longstanding relationship with the band - said there are three more acts to be booked.

Barrie, about an hour's drive north of Toronto, will be one of eight cities holding simultaneous concerts around the world to raise awareness of poverty before leaders of the wealthy G-8 countries - which include Canada - meet in Britain.

The shows are set to feature some of the biggest names in music, including U2, Madonna, Paul McCartney, Coldplay and Sting.

Live 8 has been spearheaded by musician Bob Geldof, who organized the massive Live Aid concert 20 years ago to raise money for African famine relief.

Although the Live Aid shows - held in London and Philadelphia on the same day - raised $40 million US for poverty relief, the Live 8 shows will be free. Geldof has said they are intended to raise awareness.

In a videotaped message Tuesday, the Boomtown Rats frontman warned Prime Minister Paul Martin to stay away from the G-8 summit if he is not prepared to sign on to a deal to increase aid to Africa.

"There's no use your prime minister coming to Scotland unless he's prepared to do this deal. If he's not prepared, stay at home, just stay at home, don't come," said Geldof.

"You're not welcome unless you're prepared to do something finally and irrevocably on behalf of the poor of this world."

Geldof noted that of the group of seven leading industrialized countries, Canada is the only government in budgetary surplus.

"In other words, Canada is the only country making a profit for the last few years. You have a special responsibility, almost."

Martin was in Montreal on Tuesday and was not immediately available for comment.

Cohl said the Canadian show - to be hosted by comedian Tom Green and actor Dan Aykroyd - will begin at 11 a.m. and run until about 8 p.m.

Tickets will become available online Thursday at 10 a.m., he added.

There had been rampant speculation about where the Canadian show would be held, with Toronto and Barrie duking it out for the tourism dollars the show will undoubtedly bring to the area.

The other shows will be held in London, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Philadelphia, Tokyo and Johannesburg.

A list of the performers scheduled to play at the Canadian Live 8 show to be held July 2 in Barrie, Ont.

-Bryan Adams

-Jann Arden

-Bachman Cummings Band

-Barenaked Ladies

-Blue Rodeo

-Bruce Cockburn

-Celine Dion (by satellite from Las Vegas)

-Gordon Lightfoot

-Motley Crue

-Deep Purple

-Our Lady Peace

-Simple Plan

-Sam Roberts

-Tragically Hip

-Great Big Sea

-African Guitar Summit

-Tom Cochrane

-DobaCaracol featuring Kna'an

-Les Trois Accords

-Tegan & Sara

Hosts: Dan Aykroyd, Tom Green

Copyright by Rogers Media Inc.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
Auburn Annie

Here's the article from Macleans:

Bryan Adams, Barenaked Ladies, Gordon Lightfoot to perform at Canadian Live 8

ANGELA PACIENZA

TORONTO (CP) - Bryan Adams, Jann Arden, Bruce Cockburn, Gordon Lightfoot and The Tragically Hip are among the galaxy of homegrown performers who will take the stage in Barrie, Ont., next month for the Canadian edition of the Live 8 music extravaganza.

"We've had an incredible response from the artistic community," concert magnate Michael Cohl said Tuesday as he announced the lineup and location for the July 2 show.

The event will also feature a satellite performance by Celine Dion as well as performances by Motley Crue, Blue Rodeo, Simple Plan and Our Lady Peace.

The Rolling Stones, who are spending the summer in Toronto practising for a fall tour, were not announced as part of the lineup, but Cohl - who has a longstanding relationship with the band - said there are three more acts to be booked.

Barrie, about an hour's drive north of Toronto, will be one of eight cities holding simultaneous concerts around the world to raise awareness of poverty before leaders of the wealthy G-8 countries - which include Canada - meet in Britain.

The shows are set to feature some of the biggest names in music, including U2, Madonna, Paul McCartney, Coldplay and Sting.

Live 8 has been spearheaded by musician Bob Geldof, who organized the massive Live Aid concert 20 years ago to raise money for African famine relief.

Although the Live Aid shows - held in London and Philadelphia on the same day - raised $40 million US for poverty relief, the Live 8 shows will be free. Geldof has said they are intended to raise awareness.

In a videotaped message Tuesday, the Boomtown Rats frontman warned Prime Minister Paul Martin to stay away from the G-8 summit if he is not prepared to sign on to a deal to increase aid to Africa.

"There's no use your prime minister coming to Scotland unless he's prepared to do this deal. If he's not prepared, stay at home, just stay at home, don't come," said Geldof.

"You're not welcome unless you're prepared to do something finally and irrevocably on behalf of the poor of this world."

Geldof noted that of the group of seven leading industrialized countries, Canada is the only government in budgetary surplus.

"In other words, Canada is the only country making a profit for the last few years. You have a special responsibility, almost."

Martin was in Montreal on Tuesday and was not immediately available for comment.

Cohl said the Canadian show - to be hosted by comedian Tom Green and actor Dan Aykroyd - will begin at 11 a.m. and run until about 8 p.m.

Tickets will become available online Thursday at 10 a.m., he added.

There had been rampant speculation about where the Canadian show would be held, with Toronto and Barrie duking it out for the tourism dollars the show will undoubtedly bring to the area.

The other shows will be held in London, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Philadelphia, Tokyo and Johannesburg.

A list of the performers scheduled to play at the Canadian Live 8 show to be held July 2 in Barrie, Ont.

-Bryan Adams

-Jann Arden

-Bachman Cummings Band

-Barenaked Ladies

-Blue Rodeo

-Bruce Cockburn

-Celine Dion (by satellite from Las Vegas)

-Gordon Lightfoot

-Motley Crue

-Deep Purple

-Our Lady Peace

-Simple Plan

-Sam Roberts

-Tragically Hip

-Great Big Sea

-African Guitar Summit

-Tom Cochrane

-DobaCaracol featuring Kna'an

-Les Trois Accords

-Tegan & Sara

Hosts: Dan Aykroyd, Tom Green

Copyright by Rogers Media Inc.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:47 PM   #5
charlene

Canada is making a profit? News to me!

I love how a rock "star" thinks he can dictate world leaders......

And just how is "awareness" going to feed the starving people and save the sick and dying?
Wouldn't money, food and medical supplies be better bought with gate receipts and distributed to those in need?

just wondering......
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:47 PM   #6
charlene

Canada is making a profit? News to me!

I love how a rock "star" thinks he can dictate world leaders......

And just how is "awareness" going to feed the starving people and save the sick and dying?
Wouldn't money, food and medical supplies be better bought with gate receipts and distributed to those in need?

just wondering......
Old 06-21-2005, 04:13 PM   #7
Borderstone

Well,Charlene the "hope" is that awareness will cause both people in power and everyday people to do their part "financially". In other words contribute to the effort to feed the hungry and maybe even house the homeless.

Geldof (I feel) did a great job with Live Aid/USA For Africa etc. and even though it turned out to be a short term solution,it did help. Unfortunatly,within about 6 or 7 years after that and the "Hands Across America" campaign,people (as they will) forgot or just "grew tired" of hearing about it.

I guess what Live 8 is,is short of a "refresher course" in caring about people less fortunate. Just like back then,people know there are others who suffer more than thamselves but they sweep it under the rug or to the very back of their mind.

I hope it does just as much if not more than the original concert (which is on DVD now and i just might by it! ) Been me! Later!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:39 PM   #8
Auburn Annie

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:

just wondering......
"...the Live 8 shows will be free...." so there won't be any gate receipts. I suspect the idea is to get the ears and eyeballs of folks not normally attuned to what's going on in the world beyond celebrity news, to remind folks who gave so generously with tsunami relief that there's a less 'glamorous' (sorry, not exactly the word I'm looking for but you get my drift) but long-standing disaster of equal or larger scale, just not sexy or camera ready.

[ June 21, 2005, 17:44: Message edited by: Auburn Annie ]
Old 06-21-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
Auburn Annie

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:

just wondering......
"...the Live 8 shows will be free...." so there won't be any gate receipts. I suspect the idea is to get the ears and eyeballs of folks not normally attuned to what's going on in the world beyond celebrity news, to remind folks who gave so generously with tsunami relief that there's a less 'glamorous' (sorry, not exactly the word I'm looking for but you get my drift) but long-standing disaster of equal or larger scale, just not sexy or camera ready.

[ June 21, 2005, 17:44: Message edited by: Auburn Annie ]
Old 06-21-2005, 09:06 PM   #10
Ol Man River

Good for you Sue the NGO's generally do very good work and very low costs. Unfortunately a lot of people are dieing in Africa every day without much publicity.
On a Gordon Lightfoot not I saw him in another benefit concert several years ago at Maple Leaf Gardens can anyone remember whatthis for.

Dave
________
Crf80

Last edited by Ol Man River; 02-24-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Ol Man River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:06 PM   #11
culverd

Good for you Sue the NGO's generally do very good work and very low costs. Unfortunately a lot of people are dieing in Africa every day without much publicity.
On a Gordon Lightfoot not I saw him in another benefit concert several years ago at Maple Leaf Gardens can anyone remember whatthis for.

Dave
culverd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 06:58 AM   #12
Auburn Annie

Here's a link to his benefit concerts over the years: http://www.lightfoot.ca/benefits.htm

He played the Maple Leaf Gardens in 1976 for Canadian Olympic athletes; not sure which concert you may have seen.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:58 AM   #13
Auburn Annie

Here's a link to his benefit concerts over the years: http://www.lightfoot.ca/benefits.htm

He played the Maple Leaf Gardens in 1976 for Canadian Olympic athletes; not sure which concert you may have seen.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:35 AM   #14
charlene

I'm aware that the shows are free. It seems that a lot of money could have been raised with ticket sales. It's something and a start to some financial aid for the many problems in Africa. Governments are aware and are forgiving debts etc. already. Public awareness does not always relate into dollars raised.
It's unfortunate that Rwanda was not helped when the genocide was happening 11 years ago and calls for assistance were sent around the world by Romeo Dallaire but ignored by all.
I just think that they are missing out on a good sum of money from all of the concerts to get the ball rolling.....again.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:35 AM   #15
charlene

I'm aware that the shows are free. It seems that a lot of money could have been raised with ticket sales. It's something and a start to some financial aid for the many problems in Africa. Governments are aware and are forgiving debts etc. already. Public awareness does not always relate into dollars raised.
It's unfortunate that Rwanda was not helped when the genocide was happening 11 years ago and calls for assistance were sent around the world by Romeo Dallaire but ignored by all.
I just think that they are missing out on a good sum of money from all of the concerts to get the ball rolling.....again.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:49 AM   #16
mnmouse

Quote:
Originally posted by Auburn Annie:

That '77 World Hunger Year concert...Lightfoot, Taylor, Chapin and Denver? What I wouldn't give to be able to go back in time and see that one! Four of the best songwriters of our time, together in an acoustical concert...that must have been a truly magical evening.

Mouse

Mouse
Old 06-22-2005, 10:46 AM   #17
DiggerBoy

mnmouse,
That was, to this day, my favorite concert of all time. I was (and still am) an avid Lightfoot and Denver fan. They played music in the round (a turning stage), sang duets (I think Chapin and Lightfoot did some Irish tune, like "Irish Eyes are Smiling"...could be mistaken about that). They sang some of their own songs, then went back to their corner to wait for their turn to come around again. I remember sitting there, in the most total awe...crying...well tearing up anyway. I couldn't beleive it when it was over.
It was the coolest.
I think I still have my ticket stub somewhere.
DiggerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:46 AM   #18
Kathy in Michigan

mnmouse,
That was, to this day, my favorite concert of all time. I was (and still am) an avid Lightfoot and Denver fan. They played music in the round (a turning stage), sang duets (I think Chapin and Lightfoot did some Irish tune, like "Irish Eyes are Smiling"...could be mistaken about that). They sang some of their own songs, then went back to their corner to wait for their turn to come around again. I remember sitting there, in the most total awe...crying...well tearing up anyway. I couldn't beleive it when it was over.
It was the coolest.
I think I still have my ticket stub somewhere.
Kathy in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #19
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I think it's great that Gord is participating so much in these various events. There was a time in the 70's thru the 90's that I felt that Gord was turning his back on what was his...to get out there and do what he loves more than writing or recording...just walking out on a stage and performing. I think that he now realizes what he's been missing...going out and performing at events that are not just official Lightfoot concerts, but comiserating with his peers...this is great!
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #20
Rob1956

I think it's great that Gord is participating so much in these various events. There was a time in the 70's thru the 90's that I felt that Gord was turning his back on what was his...to get out there and do what he loves more than writing or recording...just walking out on a stage and performing. I think that he now realizes what he's been missing...going out and performing at events that are not just official Lightfoot concerts, but comiserating with his peers...this is great!
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:01 PM   #21
Borderstone

All four on stage together??!! 1977,man! Where was I? Third & Fourth grade! Sometimes I truly wish I had been born sooner!

I went to concerts in the 80's and they were god but the music (except U2) had no "real" depth like those four singer/songwriters.

One question:"Did no one film or videotape that show? ....and if not,"For Heaven's sake are you out of your mind?!" Someone out there,you must have something! Pleeeease!!!! :D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:47 PM   #22
mnmouse

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathy in Michigan:
They sang some of their own songs, then went back to their corner to wait for their turn to come around again.
Sounds like heaven to me!