banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2000, 11:15 PM   #26
Rob Wells

Happy Birthday Gord.

May the day be filled with just a little of what you have given to the entire World. I speak on behalf of not millions of fans, but billions. May God give back to you just 1% of what you have given the World, you would thus be the richest man, in pocket and Heart on the planet.

SOMEDAY, we will finish our conversation about Bob Gibson. In the meantime, may the Joy of Heaven rain down upon you and yours.

I'll also take the liberty of sending along the Best wishes from Noel Stookey and Peter Yarrow.

Your Friend In Grand Junction, Colorado

Dr. Robert (Rob) Wells.

P.S. Say Hi and Thanks to Barry Harvey for me.
Old 09-25-2000, 09:51 AM   #27
roro

Dearest Gordon, I've enjoyed your music since i was 12. Many years have past since then and I always come back to your music. I've seen you many times over the years. I was thrilled to see you at Majestic Theater In Aug. One reason is I brought my girls with me. While they weren't too thrilled to see someone mommy liked the did passify me by tagging along (They really had no choice as the are only 6 & 11!) They surprised me on the way home to Geneva, By having little question and answers sessions about your music. They did tell me that they did know alot of your tunes because they hear them around the house. Only goes to prove they do pay attenion. Also now they can tell the difference between Your voice Clapton's and Joel's. All favorites but you top the list! Many warm wishes on your birthday and many more to come.Love Rosemarie

Old 09-25-2000, 01:29 PM   #28
renepiano

Merci Gordon pour toutes vos belles chansons.
Je suis un admirateur depuis très longtemps.
J'ai tous vos disques ainsi que les cd's.

René From Switzerland

Old 09-25-2000, 03:48 PM   #29
Dan Star

Happy Birthday Gord! Maybe see you someday East of Midnight.

Old 09-25-2000, 06:56 PM   #30
dowreyct

Happy Birthday!

I've been a fan since the 60s in Buffalo, and have spent many a peaceful day since listening to your music. Thanks for the great music, and here's to many more healthy, happy years.

Tony in Cincinnati

Old 09-25-2000, 09:11 PM   #31
n3wmg

Gordon -

Thanks to you and the band for visiting Central PA not once, but TWICE this year. Saw both shows and got to speak with you briefly afterward, when you graciously gave me an autograph and posed for some pics. Your music has brought me through some rough spots, and is the one constant I have had in my life, so thank you very much! You have a terrific band and Barry Harvey is a nice fellow too. All the best and please come back to PA/MD again soon. Happy Birthday and God Bless!

Larry Dillon
Lancaster, PA

[This message has been edited by n3wmg (edited September 25, 2000).]

Old 09-25-2000, 09:22 PM   #32
Bob Graham

Dear Gordon,

I met my wife in 1973, right around the time I discovered your music. One of our first dates was you opening night concert at Artpark in Lewiston, NY. We fell in love listening to your music and have been happily married for 23 years.

Happy Birthday and Thanks for the Happiness you have brought to our lives!

Bob and Alice Graham

Old 09-25-2000, 10:35 PM   #33
jwcaddo3@aol.com

Happy Birthday Gordon! Why are you not playing in TEXAS?! We miss seeing you here! My birthday is 2 days before yours so the gails of November will be welcome to me.

Happy Birthday and have a great year!
Sincerely, Jennifer Wommack, Texas

Old 09-26-2000, 08:17 PM   #34
mytoyota

Gordon,
Like many others, I've been under your spell since I first heard, "If You Could Read My Mind". Being a dreamer, your music always takes me away to good spaces. I've been searching for the man in the songs my whole life, but I guess there is only one you.
You have been such an inspiration to me. I am in the process of buying my first guitar, a Martin, and learning how to play it, thanks to you.
I love you Gord! Have a wonderful birthday!
I hope I get to say these things to you in person November 4th in Wabash, Ind. It'll be a 4-5 hour drive for me, but so worth it.

Sincerely,
Kim McBroom

Old 09-26-2000, 08:21 PM   #35
Dan Dobrjanskyj

Happy Birthday Gordon and thank you for your wonderful gifts of lyrics and music that have been so much a part fo my life. I saw you in concert at Avery Fischer Hall in NYC when I was 15 (I'm now 44) so nearly thirty years your music has been interwoven in the tapestry of my life. Through the highs and the lows and all the points in between. So on November 17th I will raise a glass of Laproiagh put on Gord's Gold (both 1 and 2) and drink your health.

Old 09-26-2000, 08:27 PM   #36
Paul J B

Happy birthday Mr. Lightfoot,
I would just like to thank you for all the great memories, and good times you've given all of us here. May this birthday, and all your birthdays to come be happy, and all your birthday wishes come true.

------------------
"If people could look into each other's eyes
What a wonderful place this world would be"
GL
Old 09-27-2000, 11:14 AM   #37
Cp53ol@aol.com

Happy Birthday Gord! Sitting here listening to the Songbook collection that I got as a birthday gift. Wishing you the best and many, many more to come. Chuck

Old 09-27-2000, 12:26 PM   #38
k3

Happy Brithday Gordon. I've been listening to your music for about 16 years now and can't believe that I haven't seen you in concert. I hope you will consider visiting the state of Maine sometime soon.
Old 09-27-2000, 08:10 PM   #39
KarlsKorner

Gordon, May you have a joyous birthday, surrounded by your loved ones, and friends. Thank you for the many years of songs and stories you have brought us that make life a little more enjoyable when we hear them.
Old 09-28-2000, 08:45 PM   #40
Dick Loftin

Gordon,
Happy Birthday, and thanks for the decades of great songs. You are not only a Canadian treasure, but a world treasure, and I hope you're life is full of joy. You seem to really enjoy playing live. I saw your show in Salina, Kansas on Aug 24th and will be in Springfield Mo., for the show there in November. You are the greatest. Don Quixote is my favorite album. Best wishes to you and your family.

Dick Loftin
Tulsa, Oklahoma
DLoftin@msn.com
Old 09-29-2000, 01:58 AM   #41
Mister hoot'n holler

I'm sitting here late at night
At my old desk in the yellow light
I'm working myself up to write a song
About a guy I've known for so long

This guy taught me how to carry a tune
And that the Sea of Tranquility is on the moon
He also showed me that love can be hard
And to always smile when I cut the cards

He's forgotten more about life than I'll ever learn
He's worked hard for every dollar that he has earned
And he can tell a great story from beginning to end
And he can cheer me up when I'm on the mend

He's spent most of his life out on the road
He's amazed at what's grown from the seeds that he sowed
For fifty years or more he's been sharing his gift
I think deep down he knows that he'll never quit

He made us all a promise when he sang his first song
It's a rare man these days who can keep his word for so long
He's made a lot of money from the records that we've bought
But it was never the money---it was respect that he sought

In all the world he's the finest troubador
But in my mind's eye I see him sitting on Susan's floor
Singing and smiling and playing his guitar
And drinking bad whiskey from an old jelly jar

This amazing guy---his name is Gord
And because of his music I'll never be bored
From "Rich Man's Spiritual" to "Uncle Toad Said"
And all the songs in between that run through my head

I'll always think of him as one of my best friends
And it's the kind of friendship that never ends
Tho' I've only met him twice to shake his hand
By the look in his eyes I know he understands

Just one more verse in this rough draft
You see I'm a novice in this particular craft
Alliteration, cadence, meter and rhyme
How the heck does Gord do it ---every time

So here's a Birthday wish my friend
May you find the road that never ends
May you recieve all of the blessings from the Lord above
And most of all I [and millions of others] wish you Love----
John and Cindy Hooton
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Old 09-29-2000, 07:24 PM   #42
timmine

Have a great one Gord - a long way from the days at the Purple Onion and Steeles Tavern! Coffee with Bernie at the 'Boat afterhours always was a treat. Many more to come, chum!

Old 09-29-2000, 10:15 PM   #43
jwallace4914

GORD, HAPPY BIRTHDAY When I was "On The High Seas" you gave me a way to Shore. I Feel as though we have been friends since I first heard you in Nam! GOd BLESS! J.W.

------------------
J.W.
Old 09-30-2000, 07:26 PM   #44
steve brownp

christ man, where do I begin? The voice?
The guitar? The words? Add them all up, and
all i've got to say to you good sir is thank
you for a lifetime of avenues and escapades.
Here's to your health, here's to sticking to
your guns, and telling it like it is.
Bless you!

Old 10-01-2000, 07:50 AM   #45
Northernsky

Hi Gordon

Next time you're in England, let off some steam by giving your record company a good kick -- we have to use MI5 to track down your albums here!

Very best wishes

Old 10-01-2000, 12:54 PM   #46
Skystone@care4free.net

Wishing you a wonderful birthday Gordon.

I have been a fan for so, so many years. You write the most beautiful songs I have ever heard, with a voice to match. They have seen me through so many years of life's events and happenings.

I only hope that one day you will come back to the England so that at last I will be able to meet my idol.

Love and Best Wishes:
Janice Wolage-Smith

Old 10-02-2000, 06:43 AM   #47
Gerry Jenkins

Hi Gordon,
Happy Birthday, I want to add my best wishes to this list of greatful millions who have enjoyed your music over the last 40 years!
Back in the early 80's you were making a movie in my home town Jasper, staying at the Lobstick Hotel. but I was overseas (as now)in Saudi at the time!
The concerts my Wife & I have attended, from your first in Edmonton at NAIT, (loud air conditioning had to be turned off!)to the yearly Calgary/Edmonton visits have always been a wonderful experience!
I did some Lounge work in the past, and as a fellow Scorpio, thank you for the deep, loving feelings that were always there in your words & music.
Happy Birthday old Friend, and many more!
Gerry Jenkins.

[This message has been edited by Gerry Jenkins (edited October 08, 2000).]
Old 10-02-2000, 02:54 PM   #48
teacat

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!

First, let me say.....You Rule. You have been inspiring me since the 70s. I hope the day never comes that you willingly stop recording.
Second, from the list of wellwishes, it's plain as plain can be you are admired near and far. This is as it should be for the body and quality of your music. I thank you for sharing it with us.
Third, I have only seen you in concert twice, so keep touring!!!!!! Give a girl a chance!
Lastly, I hope this day and many more bring you great joy and warmth. Cheers!

Chris Caturani

Old 10-02-2000, 09:17 PM   #49
Peter Bellairs

We're growing old together Gordon. It's 30 years this year since I bought my first album of yours. It's been a long and one sided relationship. Twenty six years ago you came down here to Australia and played at the old Festival Hall in Melbourne (no longer with us thank goodness). It is high time you came back. Have a great birthday mate and keep making your music.
Kindest regards
Peter Bellairs

Old 10-02-2000, 09:55 PM   #50
Kenyon Wallace

Hi Gordon!

I've been all around the world and I've always made sure that I have some of your tunes in my walkman...from the streets of Tokyo to the fields of the Black Forest in Germany I've always had a piece of home in your music.

You truly are the greatest songwriter I've ever listened to and I thank you for sharing your gift with me and the world. Have a wonderful birthday and I look forward to seeing you soon!

Kenyon Wallace
Age 19

Closed Thread