banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-25-1999, 03:24 PM   #1
Fletcher

Does anyone have last nights setlist? I attended, but for some reason did not keep track. Thanks.
Old 11-25-1999, 03:24 PM   #2
Fletcher

Does anyone have last nights setlist? I attended, but for some reason did not keep track. Thanks.
Old 11-25-1999, 08:45 PM   #3
Annette

While you are waiting for someone to answer your question I was wondering if you could give us a review of the concert in Ottawa? I noticed that Ian Tyson was playing the night before at a different venue. Do you think he went to Gordon's concert?
Old 11-25-1999, 08:45 PM   #4
Annette

While you are waiting for someone to answer your question I was wondering if you could give us a review of the concert in Ottawa? I noticed that Ian Tyson was playing the night before at a different venue. Do you think he went to Gordon's concert?
Old 11-26-1999, 12:00 AM   #5
Fletcher

Lengthy show; about 2.5 hrs all in.
Gord has a cold, clearly affecting vocals in the first half, vocals down in the mix, but Clements shining. Last half of the show shines; multiple of newer tunes and one which he introduces as "the best song written about North America by a 'white man' (!)", and plays a great tune I cannot pin down; terrric job on the Dylan and Tyson covers; I don't beleive Ian was there; friends of mine backstage after the show and only Gord and Haynes hanging around; Gord flubs early verse of Trilogy, but show veers between some opening night inconsistencies and utter transcendance on the many tunes he and band are in sync; even with flub in Trilogy, I noticed even the sound guy well into the tune which was hugely popular and best version I've seen; hilight for me was the song I described above, version of "Make Way for the Lady" and a pure "Early Morning Rain"
Old 11-26-1999, 12:00 AM   #6
Fletcher

Lengthy show; about 2.5 hrs all in.
Gord has a cold, clearly affecting vocals in the first half, vocals down in the mix, but Clements shining. Last half of the show shines; multiple of newer tunes and one which he introduces as "the best song written about North America by a 'white man' (!)", and plays a great tune I cannot pin down; terrric job on the Dylan and Tyson covers; I don't beleive Ian was there; friends of mine backstage after the show and only Gord and Haynes hanging around; Gord flubs early verse of Trilogy, but show veers between some opening night inconsistencies and utter transcendance on the many tunes he and band are in sync; even with flub in Trilogy, I noticed even the sound guy well into the tune which was hugely popular and best version I've seen; hilight for me was the song I described above, version of "Make Way for the Lady" and a pure "Early Morning Rain"
Old 11-26-1999, 12:08 AM   #7
GregMav

The songs at the Ottawa concert were:
Restless, I'll Do Anything, Uncle Toad Said,
Beautiful, The Watchman's Gone, Sundown, Heaven Don't Deserve Me, Drifters,Big Blue,
Boathouse, Ring Them Bells, Cotton Jenny,
Carefree Highway, The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald
Never Too Close, Don Quixote, Cherokee Bend, Red Velvet, Waiting For You, Blackberry Wine, If You Could Read My Mind, A Painter Passing Through, Make Way For the Lady, Early Morning Rain, Baby Step Back, Canadian Railroad Trilogy.
GregMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-1999, 09:53 AM   #8
Florian

Hi Fletcher,

quote:.. and one which he introduces as "the best song written about North America by a 'white man' (!)"
The song he referred to was 'Waiting For You'.
I only wonder what other song Gordon Lightfoot has in mind.

Fortunately he will have plenty of time to recover from his cold because he will pause touring until beginning of March.

Maybe he can even use the time to write a couple of new songs.
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-1999, 02:08 PM   #9
Fletcher

Thanks to those who have responded; emabarrassingly, I have owned a copy of Waiting on You since its release; I'm not certain why I did not recognze it, perhaps an altered arrangement, or perhaps fading memories. Regards.
Old 11-26-1999, 02:08 PM   #10
Fletcher

Thanks to those who have responded; emabarrassingly, I have owned a copy of Waiting on You since its release; I'm not certain why I did not recognze it, perhaps an altered arrangement, or perhaps fading memories. Regards.