banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
charlene

Default Red rocks

Does anyone know the FIRST time Lightfoot played at Red Rocks?

Wayne's site goes back only to 1974 with the first mention of a concert there in 1975.

Was he there in the mid 60's??

The CHRONOLOGY section at Wayne's site has no mention of it.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
sunshine

Default Re: Red rocks

In the summer of 1969, Gordon was the opening act for Peter, Paul and Mary's summer tour. Denver Red Rocks was one of the stops on that tour as was Sacramento, the Hollywood Bowl, a week at the Carter Baron Amphitheater in Washington, DC. I'm sure of those venues, think that Forest Hills in NYC, Cuyahoga Falls, and Philadelphia were among many others. Gordon's rendition of Early Morning Rain provided a stark contrast to the PP&M version that American fans of folk music were used to, but obviously Gordon's version is the definitive version. We just didn't know any better at that point. The Canadian Railroad Trilogy was of course stunning and closed Gordon's portion of the concert every evening. Those were the good old days, can't believe it's 50 Years on the Carefree Highway. Thank goodness.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
charlene

Interesting!
So he wasn't the headliner..and that was his first performance there.
I imagine his first time as headliner was 1975 then.

It looks like an amazing place to see regardless of who is performing...
Thanks for the history lesson!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Interesting!
So he wasn't the headliner..and that was his first performance there.
I imagine his first time as headliner was 1975 then.

It looks like an amazing place to see regardless of who is performing...
Simply amazing information Sunshine
I guess we are talking aboot this stunning location

one of my favourite bootlegs (it includes the rare live performance of "Now and Then" Superb
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
johnfowles

I wonder if that 1969 concert was the one Peter Yarrow mentions on
http://www.peterpaulandmary.com/music/11-book.htm
"PAUL: The involvement also meant learning how to relate to an audience.
PETER: We learned that early, doing six concerts a week in the beginning. In '62. Six a week and boy it was tough. There was a place in Colorado called Red Rocks. It has a mountain trail that leads up to a natural amphitheater made of red rocks. The kids, in order to get into the place start coming early. Well, they had a lot of time on their hands and they were drinking beer. It was the first drunk crowd we'd ever played for. And in the middle of the concert, a beer can came sailing at the stage and missed Mary by a few inches. Mary burst into tears and left the stage. I got furious and I really bawled them out. When I stopped, the whole audience applauded. They were really behind us. No more beer bottles and Mary came back"
Old 04-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
sunshine

Hi Charlene, Yes, an ancient history lesson! I wonder why you were asking about Red Rocks; any indication that Gordon might be scheduling something there? That would be worth the trip for multiple reasons. My friend and I graduated from college in June of 1969 and gave ourselves a trip across the USA on a meager budget as a graduation present. Several of our stops intentionally coincided with that PP&M tour, but we didn't have the funds to make the Red Rocks stop although we wanted to. When Gordon played the Denver Botanical Gardens in 2009 or so, I finally visited Red Rocks just to see the location, and as Sir John has pictured it, it is truly breathtaking, and I hear the sound is awesome as well. I can't quite remember if Gordon had any accompaniment that summer; my best guess would be that it was just he and his twelve string guitar. At first we were horrified to see Gordon night after night taking time away from PP&M's usual 2 1/2 hour performance. It had always been their custom to appear with no opening act. The concept of Albert Grossman, PP&M's and Gordon's mutual manager, was to introduce PP&M's audience to the virtually unknown in the States Gordon, thinking that they would be the same audience. He was right. It wasn't long before we were mesmerized by the man, the music, the brilliance and intensity of the compositions, Grossman's plan was working, new fans being born nightly, faithful fans as the subsequent decades have proved. So it's 44 years and counting. And hoping for many more.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
charlene

Someone at another site was saying they saw him as a headliner around 1964 at Red Rocks...I didn't think so and figured somebody here would know! lol..
It's nice that years later Gordon would have Liona Boyd open for him at the big venues and really give her the exposure to make her an international star...passing it on....
Old 04-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
Jenney

I was at Red Rocks several years ago, and took these pictures. He was there in 1974, 75 and 76.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COLORADO 016.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	508.5 KB
ID:	5907   Click image for larger version

Name:	COLORADO 017.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	5908   Click image for larger version

Name:	COLORADO 018.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	5909  
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
charlene

cool signs!
some of those folks are still out there like Gord! They aren't that recognizable any more tho....lol
Old 04-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #10
2silent2breal

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
Simply amazing information Sunshine
I guess we are talking aboot this stunning location

one of my favourite bootlegs (it includes the rare live performance of "Now and Then" Superb
Hi all,

If you ever have a chance to see anybody in Red Rocks, jump on it. I have seen many great shows there over the years, including Mr Lightfoot in that July of 75 show. The sound is amazing and the surroundings are unbelievable.

There may be a better concert venue somewhere in the world, but it would have to be pretty spectacular.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenney View Post
I was at Red Rocks several years ago, and took these pictures. He was there in 1974, 75 and 76.
nice one Jenney
those two july 1974 concerts do not appear on Wayne's 1974 page at:-
http://www.lightfoot.ca/1974.htm
but both the 75 and 76 ones do on the later pages for those two years
It's not the first time I have heard of a 1974 concert not on Wayne's list: somewhere around here I have a cassette tape copy made for me by a kindly keen UK fan of the original tape that she made at London's Royal Albert Hall in I think June 1974, which is much the same set as the aborted 1974 Massey Hall bootleg
I was miffed when I heard about that London concert because since early 1970 I had been religiously poring over the Daily Telegraph each week in order to to find out (in those pre internet days) when Gordon would be in the UK, but I only found adverts for the June 1972 and May 1981 RAH concerts and therefore completely missed the 1974 one.
I have asked Wayne where he got his tour listings from and he replied that they came from the EMP office but their records only went back to 1974.
I think I read elsewhere though that Gord has a shelf at home with full details including the setlists of every concert he has performed and nowadays certainly Barry Keane has the job while on tour of transcribing a hand written setlist made by Chuck into a master record book
It is something of a mystery where Wayne gets his info nowadays as he obviously misses a fairly large proportion and I caught him out once when his setlist was obviously taken from one of our own corfid postings as it contained a sequence error that the corfid poster later admitted to making!
I am going to try to make the artwork for the rear CD jewel case insert for the 1974 red rocks concert (if I can refind the setlist that is)

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor