banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2000, 05:53 PM   #151
Wingdrops

Protocol -

I think I mentioned in one of my posts that Gord announced at a concert I attended in March that House You Live In was his mother's all-time favorite. He then added somberly, "She's gone now." He then paused, turned to the band and said, "So why the hell are we doing it?" LOL

Great song.

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
Wingdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 05:53 PM   #152
2Much2Lose

Protocol -

I think I mentioned in one of my posts that Gord announced at a concert I attended in March that House You Live In was his mother's all-time favorite. He then added somberly, "She's gone now." He then paused, turned to the band and said, "So why the hell are we doing it?" LOL

Great song.

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2000, 09:33 PM   #153
Summerside

Impossible!! There are so many... a song for every mood or situation, and my favorite will change as life changes. But, to name a few:
Beautiful
Pony Man
Softly
I'll Tag Along
Alberta Bound (for toe tapping)
AND ON, AND ON, AND ON!!!!
Summerside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2000, 09:33 PM   #154
Margie

Impossible!! There are so many... a song for every mood or situation, and my favorite will change as life changes. But, to name a few:
Beautiful
Pony Man
Softly
I'll Tag Along
Alberta Bound (for toe tapping)
AND ON, AND ON, AND ON!!!!
Margie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2000, 03:41 PM   #155
Sheila Ann

Just came across this site -- and I have to say I totally enjoyed reading all the posts! The trip it took me on remembering so many of his songs from a time when my life was far more simple and relaxed. When I put on a cd, I think "Oh, this is my favorite"! Then the next track plays and I say the same thing over! However, I guess I have to say his rendition of Early Morning Rain is my favorite. But asking a fan to pick just one is like asking someone how much you can love....it is a wonderful question to ponder.
Sheila Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2000, 03:41 PM   #156
scottwp

Just came across this site -- and I have to say I totally enjoyed reading all the posts! The trip it took me on remembering so many of his songs from a time when my life was far more simple and relaxed. When I put on a cd, I think "Oh, this is my favorite"! Then the next track plays and I say the same thing over! However, I guess I have to say his rendition of Early Morning Rain is my favorite. But asking a fan to pick just one is like asking someone how much you can love....it is a wonderful question to ponder.
scottwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2000, 09:20 AM   #157
megareal

Many tender moments in my life closely associate with the song "Affair on 8th Avenue", so I am told, especially the perfume...I truly find this song quite tender, quite soft and realistic and one of my all time favorites.
It reminds me that memories are sweet when lived well. Also, I'd like to add that, "Race Among the Ruins" adds light to many events in my life. "Lazy Morning" reminds me of those Saturday or Sunday mornings in the hot, hazy summers in Chicago where I get to sleep in and lay on the bed with my eyes staring up at the ceiling wondering "does she (he) still remember me." And the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" of my dearest Danny who lost friends on the ship, and who leaves me feeling like a wreck. Aah, the sweet pain of tenderness with an alcoholic. Finally, I'd like to add, "Cold on the Shoulder" for likely reasons. Danny, if only you could "read my mind" when you are "stone cold sober."
Old 08-09-2000, 09:20 AM   #158
megareal

Many tender moments in my life closely associate with the song "Affair on 8th Avenue", so I am told, especially the perfume...I truly find this song quite tender, quite soft and realistic and one of my all time favorites.
It reminds me that memories are sweet when lived well. Also, I'd like to add that, "Race Among the Ruins" adds light to many events in my life. "Lazy Morning" reminds me of those Saturday or Sunday mornings in the hot, hazy summers in Chicago where I get to sleep in and lay on the bed with my eyes staring up at the ceiling wondering "does she (he) still remember me." And the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" of my dearest Danny who lost friends on the ship, and who leaves me feeling like a wreck. Aah, the sweet pain of tenderness with an alcoholic. Finally, I'd like to add, "Cold on the Shoulder" for likely reasons. Danny, if only you could "read my mind" when you are "stone cold sober."
Old 08-28-2000, 02:58 PM   #159
MargeB

My favorite Lightfoot song? Well, out of them all, and there are fewer that I don't like than a list that I like, I think my two most favorites are: Old Dan's Records because of the upbeatness of the song and it has that great banjo part that I really really love, and Beautiful, simply because it is.
margeb
Old 08-28-2000, 02:58 PM   #160
MargeB

My favorite Lightfoot song? Well, out of them all, and there are fewer that I don't like than a list that I like, I think my two most favorites are: Old Dan's Records because of the upbeatness of the song and it has that great banjo part that I really really love, and Beautiful, simply because it is.
margeb
Old 08-28-2000, 03:07 PM   #161
MargeB

margeb
Old 08-28-2000, 03:07 PM   #162
MargeB

margeb
Old 08-28-2000, 06:49 PM   #163
Brian Hamilton

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Florian:
[B]What is your favorite Lightfoot Song & Why?

My favorite Gordon Lightfoot song is one he definitely wrote, but I am not sure he ever recorded himself:

"Weeping Willows, Cattails" was recorded by Jane Olivor on her Colombia Records album "The Best Side of Goodbye" in the late seventies. The lyrics are exquisite and the melody fluid and dreamlike.

I found no mention of this song on this very nicely done site, or elsewhere on the web.
Old 08-28-2000, 06:49 PM   #164
Brian Hamilton

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Florian:
[B]What is your favorite Lightfoot Song & Why?

My favorite Gordon Lightfoot song is one he definitely wrote, but I am not sure he ever recorded himself:

"Weeping Willows, Cattails" was recorded by Jane Olivor on her Colombia Records album "The Best Side of Goodbye" in the late seventies. The lyrics are exquisite and the melody fluid and dreamlike.

I found no mention of this song on this very nicely done site, or elsewhere on the web.
Old 08-28-2000, 08:19 PM   #165
charlene

The song title is "Pussy Willows, Cattails".
I haven't heard that name (Jane Olivor) for ages. What a tremendous voice!
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2000, 08:19 PM   #166
charlene

Char
Old 08-28-2000, 11:32 PM   #167
rainydayperson

Char...Did you ever hear "Last Time I Felt Like This" by Johnny Mathis and Jane Olivor?
What a haunting song.

As for the original topic..."Spanish Moss",
or "Triangle" for the way they make me feel.
I leave earth during both of those songs.
I've been listening to "Bells of The Evening"
and "Fine as Fine Can Be" a lot lately too.

Forgive my ignorance but what does LOL mean?
rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2000, 11:32 PM   #168
classicmixdj

Char...Did you ever hear "Last Time I Felt Like This" by Johnny Mathis and Jane Olivor?
What a haunting song.

As for the original topic..."Spanish Moss",
or "Triangle" for the way they make me feel.
I leave earth during both of those songs.
I've been listening to "Bells of The Evening"
and "Fine as Fine Can Be" a lot lately too.

Forgive my ignorance but what does LOL mean?
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2000, 05:35 AM   #169
Sheila Ann

LOL=laughing out loud
FYI, there are a whole bunch of abbreviations under Information & Archive...IYCRMM...on the Home page of this site. Just another thing that makes this site so good!
Sheila Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2000, 09:37 AM   #170
rainydayperson

Many Thanks.
rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2000, 09:37 AM   #171
classicmixdj

Many Thanks.
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2000, 10:07 AM   #172
charlene

LOL = Love of Lightfoot!
and laughing out loud
and love on line
but I like the first one best!
LOL
Char
Old 08-29-2000, 10:07 AM   #173
charlene

LOL = Love of Lightfoot!
and laughing out loud
and love on line
but I like the first one best!
LOL
Char
Old 08-29-2000, 11:02 PM   #174
Brian Hamilton

Wow! Thanks very much for that info, Charlene. That's probably why I haven't been able to locate the sheet music for this incredible song. Jane recorded it as "Weeping Willows, Cattails," changing the lyric as well, apparently.

Yes, I agree, she has a tremendous voice! I am eager to see her again soon here in LA. I've been in touch with her assistant--she's touring a limited amount, mostly on the east coast lately. No albums likely soon :-(

quote:Originally posted by charlene:
Char

Old 08-29-2000, 11:02 PM   #175
Brian Hamilton

Wow! Thanks very much for that info, Charlene. That's probably why I haven't been able to locate the sheet music for this incredible song. Jane recorded it as "Weeping Willows, Cattails," changing the lyric as well, apparently.

Yes, I agree, she has a tremendous voice! I am eager to see her again soon here in LA. I've been in touch with her assistant--she's touring a limited amount, mostly on the east coast lately. No albums likely soon :-(

quote:Originally posted by charlene:
Char