banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-19-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
2silent2breal

Default Greetings

Hi all,

I was happy to find this site and I am hoping to join in on the discussions. Like everybody here I'm sure, GL's music has meant a lot to me and has been a big part of the soundtrack for my life for almost 40 years, which should let you know how old I am getting. Yikes!

I saw the man in Denver at the Paramount last week which made it a staggering 34 years between shows. Hopefully I get to see him again! At any rate, I am looking forward to visiting here and hearing your thoughts, reviews, and getting to know some other devotees of Gordon Lightfoot.
2silent2breal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Greetings

welcome to corfid - check out the posts over the years and make your self comfortable.www.lightfoot.ca has some 2011 dates posted with more to come..
34 years between shows! omigosh that makes me dizzy! I can barely make it thru a few months without a Lightfoot fix..lol
Where did you first see him? Fave song if you can possibly name just one?
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
2silent2breal

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, 34 years is a long time but after having kids and living in Wyoming at least a 3 hour drive from anyplace he played, weeknight concerts became impossible and the others just never worked out. I first saw him in Red Rocks in 1975-beautiful setting and sound but kind of an aborted show. Somebody apparently threw something on stage and Gordon cut the concert short. Fortunately he came back to Fort Collins the next year and put on a tremendous show. As for the favorite song-that would be harder than naming my favorite beer and I couldn't do that either, though "The Last Time I saw her Face" at Red Rocks was the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. The Trilogy is definitely a favorite, and since last Saturday I've played Shadows about 30 times.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2silent2breal View Post
I first saw him in Red Rocks in 1975-beautiful setting and sound but kind of an aborted show.
You might be interested in this thread. In the first post, you'll find a link to a decent recording of that concert. Might jar loose a few memories......

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=19863
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
2silent2breal

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Fave song if you can possibly name just one?
Like I said, no way can I name a favorite song, probably been 100 different ones on the top of my playlist over the years. I can, however, name a favorite album. Old Dan's Records stands out to me as one I love from start to finish. To me it's like Abbey Road, I have to listen to the whole thing.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
2silent2breal

RM, thanks for the link. I am downloading as we speak. That will definitely bring back some wonderful memories.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMoppens View Post
btw... Very clever User ID! I'm jealous I wasn't witty enough to come up with it! Dang.
Not half as clever as you yourself MM selecting Misty Moppens
Despite a'googling I simply have not the faintest idea what a "moppen" is when it's at home nor what causes one to become misty.
I did however find http://www.moppens.com which comprises a single page with one animated gif image and the promising
I'm Working On It
Moppen"

On that enigmatic webpage the word moppen is an email hyperlink to contact
moppen@moppens.com
there IS an urban dictionary entry for moppens but all it says is
"Moppens isn't defined yet."
I will however note that 2silent2breal is highly redolent of the Lawman (David Uffelman's) moniker 2much2lose
who has not been here for well over a year
Bruna/silverheels where are you hiding him!!!???
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/member.php?u=13915
Come in David all is forgiven!!
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
2silent2breal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMoppens View Post
. Very clever User ID! I'm jealous I wasn't witty enough to come up with it! Dang.
Thanks for the welcome, and I agree with the post below, MistyMoppens is much more intriguing than what I came up with.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:57 AM   #9
brink-

I love your id. I was at the Paramount show also, glad you made it back into the fold. Welcome here, pull up a chair and set a spell, we have many stories to tell.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote