banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Lightfoot Covers

Old 02-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
JohnStinson

Default ...Or another way to play with this Forum

..Of course forums should be somewhat 'Free for alls'. I guess we're like the Financial Institutions. ...we should a 'little bit' of regulations...

Here's my thought..instead of starting a thread by
"Performer' Someone will start a Thread by the title of the GL song. (OK ..I'll do it to see what happens)..Then if you have a cover ...up goes the video. So all the covers of the same song are in one Thread. ...does anyone really care about this....???
I really do have too much time on my hands.
Cheers to all Lightfoot people..
Love everything Lightfoot.

JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: ...Or another way to play with this Forum

we could cross reference the videos every which way from sunday!
lol
performer/song/male/female/a capella/pro/amateur..
lol

OY!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
timetraveler

Sounds like a good idea.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

How about a section for those of us who prefer Lightfoot doing covers, as opposed to covers of Lightfoot penned tunes ? I'm still waiting for him to cover All Along The Watchtower someday ! I imagine him being closer to the original Bob Dylan take on it rather than the Jimi Hendrix version most people associate with the song.

Anyway since I'm in the minority, and since it would be a small forum, I'll withdraw my request, LOL.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
jj

lol, i'll say it one more time then hush up)

how about a section of Lightfoot doing Lightfoot songs? that was the initial request, but somehow we've got new arrivals clicking on other folks covering Gord tunes and left saying "how do I see Gord actually doing his own songs?"

franky, most of us couldn't care because most have seen all there is to see of Gord on tv and prefer to watch them on tv screens and rather than on youtube but it's just an offering for those who haven't....i put up example from other sites that offer a multimedia section (Glen Campbell, etc)...all we have is photos...actually, another section of interview archives would be my second choice...hearing Gord and listening to his comments, what could be more captivating for a fan?

btw, i would suggest grouping by Song becuase youtube already is "channeled" by performer so it's redundant to do the same here...also, that way it's easier to see how many of the Gord catalogue is covered (ie. checklist)...just my 2 cents...ok, hush now, jj )
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
charlene

ok - so we already have a COVERS forum..it will be sub divided by SONG. (it may be easier for me to take them from YouTube and post them here rather than search for them in all the threads already here) BUT still very time consuming...

and if Florian can add ONE more FORUM it will be for only LIGHTFOOT youtube concert videos/radio interviews/archived TV stuff/print interviews/concert reviews etc. all in their own threads within this forum? (I have a manila envelope full of things sent to me before Xmas - I have to go thru it and scan some of it as well. And I have tons of stuff myself. I also have access to old archived newspapers and have posted a few things from them from time to time)

are we ok with this idea?
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
jj

well, one 'oui' from one pea in this large membership pod, Gordpod, lol

yeah, i would think it's easier to link them directly to youtube or wherever video or audio files are posted....you know how our existing youtube cover threads often get off topic and cos certain folks (myself excluded of course, lol) start talking about the price of tea in Orillia and all that

i could sort and send you tons of links i've got already but it wouldnt be for a few days...John's already been of great help and if jjo reappears i would think he already has a huge archive of links to send...wonder how long it would be before we get redundant title threads, maybe john/char should be the thread starters since they are the force behind this latest expansion

great stuff

btw, as far as Gord TV (when will Rogers offer this cable channel?, lol) goes, i certainly dont possess all Gord TV videos...i've seen the 1968 CBC but don't possess it and since John Stinson now has it, it would be great if he got that up on youtube sometime...i know John Fowles would appreciate that also (he could finally put away his reel to reel, lol)
Old 02-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
ok - so we already have a COVERS forum..it will be sub divided by SONG.

Inspired by the U.S. congressional debate over the 'economic stimulus plan', I must vote no on the idea to sort by song. I much prefer sorting by artist, with all their covers in the same thread. For example, if the thread is "If You Could Read my Mind", one might have to wade through a gazillion versions of the song to find one style he/she likes. On the other hand, if the covers are sorted by artist, they could explore that artist's rendition(s).

Take Marty Robbins' version of "Ribbon Of Darkness"(one of the first successful covers of a Lightfoot tune). It should stand alone and not be buried in a pile of other versions.

Or Jory Nash's version of IYCRMM. I really like his vocal stylings on that one. Don't bury it !

I rest my case.

Last edited by RM; 02-04-2009 at 12:22 PM.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
JohnStinson

All good thoughts. There's always many ways to do things with pros and cons. People can always find what they are looking for, i guess, regardless of 'organization' if they look hard enough. Let the users do what 'feels' right for them is how I think. I only offered up these suggestions to maybe influence users to think a certain way when 'viewing', 'uploading' and 'sharing' GL covers. I'm really not that 'organized' type of person.
At the end of the day, maybe nobody whats to see them anyway.
I find it fun...but maybe because I also like creating them.

I have another idea ...that is different ...I'll start it in General.
j.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
jj

hmmm, a rebuttal, rm

- i don't think we'll see a mass of performers actually covering all of Gord's catalogue (although Kefera may accomplish this singlehandedly!) but it will make it hard to see what songs are covered or not when presented 'by performer'

- i was hoping no performances would get buried, either way ...if threads are comprised of mainly a list of links plus each performer name then it should be easy to sift down a thread and not have to click through pages and pages ...that said, how does one paste a link to a youtube clip without "embedding" an image of the video right in the thread? (which takes up several inches of monitor viewing area) - is there no way to just have the url appear and take up a mere one line in the thread?

- if presented by performer, what if one clicks on a performance and deems it not to their liking so they end up missing other wonderful covers by the same performer buried deeper in the thread? for eg, if rm was clicking on a cover performance by an unknown Gordon Lightfoot and the song was Canary Yellow Canoe? rm, might write off the rest of the performer's efforts and move on, and miss out on great performances buried deeper in the thread....any case there, rm?

- btw, i would separate threads from amateur from professionally recorded covers but i guess it's hard to draw the line, eh?

i can see this thread will end as a scene from 12 Angry Men (& Women), lol

anyhow, jj will go with the flow...it's the canuck way (we're really just sheep!)
Old 02-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #11
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStinson View Post
I find it fun...but maybe because I also like creating them.
and i find it fun listening to your creations, keep on doing!

next gig, let's get the videographer to hit the zoom (in in you) button
Old 02-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #12
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
for eg, if rm was clicking on a cover performance by an unknown Gordon Lightfoot and the song was Canary Yellow Canoe? rm, might write off the rest of the performer's efforts and move on, and miss out on great performances buried deeper in the thread....any case there, rm?
You have no case. Anyone who would exhibit such poor judgment would not find a friendly ear here. I'll take my chances. DawnsMinstrel, John Stinson, Kefera, Brian E., etc. and the more famous artists would each have their own thread.

Is this idea just too simple ?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #13
JohnStinson

I've been playing around with these threads (sewing!??). ...and it appears either scheme has holes in them and require patches (just to continue the metaphor)..

I just put up a new video in my own thread.."high and dry"...Trouble is as a user you don't know ..other than to see that the John Stinson thread is gone to the top. But no indication as to why. ...until you drill down.

also..

I just added Paul and I doing SFAWN in the SFAWN thread... Again ..no indication other than the thread being activated and moved to the top.

I guess there is a common problem with both in that if there is just dialogue and no new video...and you happen to be looking for a video ..you have to scroll up and down looking.

Oh well....Lets just let the issue solve itself....Does that happen?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
jj

Quote:

how does one paste a link to a youtube clip without "embedding" an image of the video right in the thread? (which takes up several inches of monitor viewing area) - is there no way to just have the url appear and take up a mere one line in the thread?
ok, i now answer my own question here, it's simple:

click off the check mark selection for "Automatically embed media"

from my standpoint, this makes the by Artist presentation more tolerable...for example, Kefera's cover thread might only be 2 pages instead of 10...therefore, much easier to browse through looking for specific song(s)

"You have no case" - hey, i can get this sort of abuse at home! lol
Old 02-05-2009, 09:59 PM   #15
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
roger that ! keep up the good work Char !

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #16
RM

Quote:
ok, i now answer my own question here, it's simple:

click off the check mark selection for "Automatically embed media"
Where does one find that option ?
Old 02-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #17
jj

ah, i don't know why i'd never noticed it before...there are 2 check boxes (that default to 'checked off'/embed) below the smiley faces when you create a reply or fresh thread post ie) uncheck the second box under Additional Options>Miscellaneous Options ....if one is editing they need to choose Advanced options to access it

...with that said, i'd never seen the Poll option either until you brought it to light...nice touch... and i know it goes without saying, but think i'd stay away from grading any non-professional covers...some folks sure take a beating in those Youtube comments and it's disheartening...i tip my hat to anyone sharing their efforts...i've even come to enjoy those Ron Lindeman interps, what a stylist
Old 02-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #18
RM

Quote:
ah, i don't know why i'd never noticed it before...there are 2 check boxes (that default to 'checked off'/embed) below the smiley faces when you create a reply or fresh thread post ie) uncheck the second box under Additional Options>Miscellaneous Options ....if one is editing they need to choose Advanced options to access it

...with that said, i'd never seen the Poll option either until you brought it to light
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna try it.

The poll.......I was wandering through the maze, found it, tried it out, and then realized that if you start a thread...........you own it.........you can't delete it.