banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
stargazer

Default Vienna,Virginia-Wolf Trap-July 25,2013

My wife and I attended the concert at Wolf Trap national park in Vienna Virginia, just outside Washington, DC. on Thursday, July 25, 2013 Here's the set list. I'll post some comments separately.

1.) Watchman’s Gone
2.) Waiting for You
3.) Don Quixote
4.) I’d Rather Press On
5.) Wild Strawberries
6.) Christian Island (Abrev.)
7.) Rainy Day People
8.) Shadows
9.) Minstrel of the Dawn
10.) Beautiful (Carter nailed the lead guitar solo!)
11.) Carefree Highway
12.) Cotton Jenny
13.) Now and Then
14.) Ribbon of Darkness
15.) Sundown (round of applause for Carter’s solo)

Intermission

16.) Sweet Guinevere
17.) Edmund Fitzgerald (with the revised lyrics – Carter’s solo got applause)
18.) Never Too Close
19.) All the Lovely Ladies
20.) Home From the Forest
21.) Painter Passing Through
22.) Let it Ride
23.) If You Could Read My Mind
24.) Restless
25.) Baby Step Back (applause again for Carter’s solo)
26.) Early Morning Rain
27.) ENCORE: Song For a Winter’s Night
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
stargazer

Default Follow up comments Re: Wolf Trap Concert Vienna Virginia

First let me preface my remarks by saying that it’s been about two years since we last saw Gordon in concert.

So this was my first time seeing/hearing Carter. I must say I was impressed with his playing. Unfortunately, as was usually the case with Terry, they had his levels too low or my taste. I love to really hear those guitar solos that Gord wrote. In fact the whole house volume was a bit too low for my taste. Now my wife might say that it’s just the failing hearing of my boomer ears that’s the problem.  If so, I was in good company, because there were a lot of gray heads attending this concert.

Wolf Trap is a very fine venue for music of all sorts and we’ve made the trek up from Richmond many times to see Gordon and other performers. Gordon remarked several times that this was his 14th concert at Wolf trap. Unfortunately, the crowd for this concert was a bit light compared to the other Lightfoot concerts we’ve attended there. That may be because it was a Thursday night. WE were seated in the center of the Loge (balcony) which had only about 100 of the seats taken, which is about 1/3 of the capacity up there. We a great, if somewhat distant view of the stage with a very well balanced (if a little soft on volume) sound mix.

When Gord took the stage, promptly (as usual) at 8 p.m. it seemed to me that he’s lost some weight (judging by his face) since I last saw him. Nonetheless he seemed in a good mood, if perhaps a little tired. He did say that they’d done 10 concerts over the last 12 days. That may explain why he did not talk as much between numbers as I have sometimes seen him do. It may also explain why he only played one song for the encore. That might also explain why he did the Edmund Fitzgerald and not Trilogy too. The set list (see previous posting) included some surprises (especially when compared to the some of the set lists of recent concerts). For example, I never expected to hear Home from the Forest. And it was good to hear Sweet Guinevere.

Gord’s voice was strong throughout the concert and seemed to take less time to warm up than in the previous couple of concerts I’d been to. In the few remarks he made between songs he mentioned John Denver and playing at the Cellar Door in DC. He also made some remarks about using a capo and starting out as a ‘folk singer’ in the early 60s. He also mentioned digging out some of the old songs from the vault. And playing up in New York City the night before at B.B. King’s nightclub to an audience of 300.

The band, as usual, did a great job supporting Gord. They never missed a cue. And Carter fit right in, as if he’d been playing with the guys for years. At the end of one of the early numbers, Gord made a point of leaning over to Carter and holding out his water bottle so he could ‘clink’ it with Carter’s water bottle as a sort of toast/salute. I was disappointed to see that the write up for Gord in the Wolf trap program was unusually short, barely a column long and didn’t mention the names of anybody in the band. Maybe budget cutbacks led to reducing the content? – I don’t know.

One thing that caught my eye, and perhaps others could comment on this, was Gord's use of a free standing mike for his 12-string. I remember many years ago reading an interview with Gord where he stated that (at that time) he preferred using free standing mikes rather than the ‘on-board’ pickups because he had greater control over the sound by his placement of the guitar relative to the mike. Over the many years since that interview, I thought he’d changed that practice and had stopped using free standing mikes for his guitars. So, I was surprised to see him using a free standing mike last night for his 12 string. The 6 string was plugged in, but not the 12-string. Am I just imaging that he used to plug in the 12 string and has gone back to the old way?

All in all, another great Lightfoot concert. Well worth the long (due to DC traffic) drive from Richmond.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
Bill

Default Re: Wolf Trap Concert Vienna Virginia

Cool. Last time we saw him it was an August at Wolftrap and so hot/humid and miserable that we have sworn off the otherwise great venue. We were as soaked as if we had jumped in a pool. Glad it was better for ya!
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
stargazer

Bill,

Yeah, we've been there when it was stifling hot and humid too. And when there were summer thunder storms (glad to be seated in the pavilion that time!). But this year was ideal. Just the right temperature and humidity.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
niffer

Hi Stargazer,

Might Gordon have said that they were going to be doing 10 shows in 12 days, rather than that they already had? I think this show was the second out of 10, and they will be ending in MN on Aug 4.

When I saw him last month in Appleton, it was at the end of a mini tour and he definitely seemed a little tired, and anxious to get home.

It sounds as though you got a really good show and a great setlist... all of my personal top five!
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
spocksbrain

As far as the 12 string, he has never had pickups installed. He has always used mic only on those. If you'll notice when he does guest appearances and short concerts he usually doesn't pull out the 12. That would require some additional setup.

He started plugging in the 6 strings in the late 80s, early 90s. He has said in interviews that he likes a mix of pickup and mic.

One reason may be that effects are a lot easier w a pickup than w a mic. Terry used to utilize a whole rack of pedals w the acoustic. Carter uses a number if effects, but his Breedlove is a really thin sounding instrument (really wish he'd change to a Guild or a Gibson).

Just some thoughts.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
charlene

Rick Haynes pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vienna,VA-Wolftrap.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	6192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vienna,VA-Wolftrap2.jpg