banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Lightfoot Covers

Old 07-19-2019, 11:33 PM   #1
charlene

Default CRYSTAL GAYLE and Ribbon of Darkness on her new LP

CRYSTAL GAYLE - Her new album will have Ribbon of Darkness on it. She performed it for her debut at The Grand Ole Opry and on TV in 1970 with her sister Loretta Lynn looking on.. video link below... Friday, July 19, 2019 – Crystal Gayle will drop her first new album in nearly 16 years, "You Don't Know Me" on Sept. 6.
Southpaw Musical Productions is putting out the album recorded and mixed by Gayle's son Christos Gatzimos. The collection finds Gayle covering the songs of artists including George Jones, Patsy Cline, Buck Owens and Eddy Arnold.
"This wasn't a stretch at all," said Gayle. "This project is a labor of love that my son, Christos, and I produced together. It is filled with country classics that I grew up singing. They are very much a part of my history, and I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I feel very lucky to have known and worked with many of the artists who had the original hits."
Each of the selections was chosen because it played a role in her musical development. Two of them point to the importance that her family had in bringing her to fame.
The opening track is "Ribbon Of Darkness," a song originally written by Gordon Lightfoot. Originally released in 1965 as a single by Marty Robbins, it became his 11th number one hit.
The song was the first one Gayle performed at her Grand Ole Opry debut.
"I was 16," said Gayle. "Loretta was sick. Mooney [Lynn] did something; I don't know what. But they let me sing in her place. In my early years in Nashville, when I was on Decca, I opened for Marty Robbins. So I've heard him sing this many times. Connie Smith also had a hit with it. So the night I was inducted into the Opry cast in 2017, I asked Connie if it was okay with her that I sing "Ribbon of Darkness."
"Crying Time" was originally written and recorded by Bakersfield sound pioneer Buck Owens. "I do a medley of Buck Owens songs in my shows," said Gayle. "When I was a kid, he worked Buck Lake Ranch in Indiana. I would go whenever he was playing there, and he'd let me sing on his show. When I was 16, he wanted me to become a regular on his TV show. He asked me, but it didn't work out."
The closing track is "Put It Off Until Tomorrow" which brings Gayle together with her sisters Peggy Sue Wright, and Loretta Lynn, for the first time. Dolly Parton wrote the song.
"Loretta and Peggy made this album very special by singing 'Put It Off Until Tomorrow' with me. It is a song that we have performed together throughout the years. This is the one and only trio performance on record. We've done the Boston Pops together. We performed together in Lake Tahoe and Reno and a few things like that. But we've never actually made a record together. Peggy Sue still comes out on the road with me, singing backup harmonies. I recorded the track, then Patsy, Loretta's daughter, asked her to sing on my album. Loretta is such an incredible singer. She got through the song right away and then went, "What's next?" We should have recorded the whole album together! Loretta had her stroke not long after we recorded this."
The track listing is:
1. Ribbon Of Darkness (Gordon Lightfoot)
2. You Win Again (Hank Williams)
3. Please Help Me I'm Falling (Don Robertson, Hal Blair)
4. Am I That Easy To Forget (Carl Belew, W.S. Stevenson, Shelby Singleton)
5. Hello Walls (Willie Nelson)
6. You Never Were Mine (Jay Lee Webb)
7. Just One More (George Jones)
8. There Goes My Everything (Dallas Frazier)
9. That's The Way Love Goes (Lefty Frizzell, Sanger D Shafer)
10. Cryin' Time (Buck Owens)
11. I've Seen That Look On Me A Thousand Times (Harlan Howard, Shirl Milete)
12. Walkin' After Midnight (Alan Block, Donn Hecht)
13. You Don't Know Me (Eddie Arnold, Cindy Walker)
14. Put It Off Until Tomorrow featuring Loretta Lynn and Peggy Sue (Dolly Parton, Bill Owens)
15. I Cried The Blue (Right Out of My Eyes)
Gayle has 20 number one country hits, six albums certified Gold by the RIAA and was the first female artist in country music history to reach platinum sales with her 1977 album, "We Must Believe in Magic." She was the CMA's "Female Vocalist of the Year" for two consecutive years and won a Grammy Award Winner for "Best Female Vocal Performance" for "Brown Eyes." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9Srs9FbjIQ article at: http://www.countrystandardtime.com/n....asp?xid=10697
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:53 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: CRYSTAL GAYLE and Ribbon of Darkness on her new LP

JUST RELEASED: CRYSTAL SAYS:"I am so excited that my new album You Don't Know Me is finally coming out on September 6th," said Gayle. "You can now listen to "Ribbon Of Darkness," one of my favorite tracks. "Ribbon Of Darkness" was written by Gordon Lightfoot and was a hit for Marty Robbins and Connie Smith. It was the first song I ever sang on the Grand Ole Opry. I hope you like it!
https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwmus...Video-20190809

Grammy® award winning country music singer and Grand Ole Opry member Crystal Gayle released "Ribbon Of Darkness" digitally today, kicking off the pre-sale for her forthcoming, first new album in nearly 16 years, You Don't Know Me. Available everywhere Sept. 6th from Southpaw Musical Productions/BFD/The Orchard, the new music finds the acclaimed stylist exploring songs written or recorded by such country legends as Dolly Parton, Marty Robbins, Willie Nelson, Buck Owens, George Jones and Hank Williams. The album was co-produced, recorded and mixed by Crystal's son, Christos Gatzimos.

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
Martyn Miles

Oh dear.
I really don’t like a Country version of one of my favourite GL songs...
Martyn Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
Andy T.

Send a message via AIM to Andy T.

Modern country I don't care much for , but this leans more retro to my ears, so I have no issues with it. I'd be much more bothered if it was a Country Rap version!