banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Bent But Not Broken

Default Venue Size

I was reading some of the comments on the previous thread "twitter and Lightfoot" , and there were some comments about The Eagles and Gord and the size venues they were (are) playing.
My question is this: During Lightfoot's commercial peak, Sundown/Summertime Dream era, did he ever play really large venues such as Madison Square Garden in NY, or The Spectrum in Phila. or did he stick to small to medium-sized in the 3000-5000 seat range. Just curious, I really don't know.
Bent But Not Broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J
Default Re: Venue Size

in my college days, the early 80's, he did mulptiple days at the universal amphitheatre in los angeles. That is a fairly large venue, though not as large as Madison square garden. However, I believe he had 4 and 5 day runs that appeared to be sold out. somehow i used to scrape together the money to go every night, though I sat so far away that he and the band looked mighty small! I did, however, rush down near the stage one night, like a groupie, when i saw an empty seat up close.
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
youngstranger

Interesting subject, he still plays pretty big venues doesnt he? What's the average crowd now?
youngstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
charlene

I'd say average crowd size might be around 1200...some places are almost full at 1800, some have only 800...He does 4 nights at Massey @ about 2500 per night.
I like to see him in the smaller venues.
My living room would be good.
lol
During his career he has played for some large crowds in big venues..Royal Albert Hall, CNE stadium in Toronto for example.
www.lightfoot.ca TOUR section shows the venues.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
timetraveler

I'm with you on that one Char. It would be so nice if that wildest were ever possible. One of my wildest dreams is that I was having a big cookout & Gord & the band all showed up. AHHH!!! What a wonderful dream that was.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Wes Steele

I remember him doing the "Front Row Theatre" (in the round) in Cleveland... Feb of 1977, I believe. Seats 3,000. Sold out each performance.... Friday night, 2 shows Saturday night and a matinee on Sunday.

He also used to appear at "Blossom Music" (outside...half covered) which held 13,000 and was usually sold out.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
seafarer62

Gordon played Northrup Auditorium at the University of Minnesota during the 1970's until 1987. I believe it seats well over 4,000. In April 1979, he played two shows there - one about 7pm and the other about 10 pm. In those days, Gord had an opening act- the Good Brothers. Gord played one set of about 18 songs- much shorter than the two sets he does now.

Since 1987, Gord has played the smaller theatres in the Twin Cities- 2,000 or less.

In April 2009, I attended his concert in Sault St. Marie, Ontario. He must have had at least 3,000 there in that hockey arena.

John/Twin Cities
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
Bent But Not Broken

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm with timetraveler and Charlene, a backyard event on the order of a "Soundstage" format would be great: Big artist, small intimate crowd. Though the artist is usually vague on this subject, it would be great to hear Gord explain the real meaning behind each of his works or at least what was going through his mind when writing it. Just my thoughts. As I stated in one of my earlier posts, he can still connect with his audience.
Bent But Not Broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
charlene

If it's not my living room then Hugh's Room in TOronto is the next best thing..around 200 seated/maybe 50 SRO.
He hangs out there himself to see musicians so as the saying goes: "If it's good enough for him then it's good enough for me!"
And it has been so far.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote