banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 03-25-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
timetraveler

Just heard on the news that today is Elton John's 60th, and that he plans a big concert style blowout at Madison Square Garden. I just never realized that he's been entertaining people for so long.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
Borderstone

That's right T.T. ! Including being known in the late 60's in England,Sir Elton has been in the biz going on 40 years (either this year or the next.)

It seems like mere weeks ago in 1997,that he turned 50,said goodbye to both Versache and Princess Diana and then had the biggest hit single of his entire career. "Candle In The Wind 1997/Something About The Way You Look Tonight".

That double sided hit stayed #1 for 14 weeks,longer than any of his past hits. He ended the 20th century with the longest run of top 40 hits ever 1970 to 1999!
That's every single year,he had at least 1 hit on the Billboard Top 40. Even if only in for a week. In Jan of '96 he just barely squeaked by!

Tonight on the "MY" network (whatevr you call it) he is performing a televised concert that is defininetly a "do not miss"!

Here in Phoenix the channel is called MY 45,I think it's an off shoot of the FOX network. I labeled it on my tv as MNTV.

Happy Birthday Reginald Dwight the 3rd! :D He did legally changed his name to Elton John by the way.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
Moosedog

I saw Elton in concert a handful of times, waaaay back in my high school years. One heck of a performance, that's for sure!

Happy B-day, Elton!

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
Borderstone

I almost had a chance to meet him. It was 1993 and he was on the tour for the album "The One",I couldn't afford a ticket but I worked just down the road from Desert Sky Pavillion (now called *ugh* Cricket Pavillion).

Still in the kind of young,"No one will notice me",state of mind,after work,in the afternoon,I went down to the Pavillion. I walked around and discovered a way in up and around the seats!
(Mind you,a young person does not "reason" when doing these things :D LOL! )

I sat in the audience watching the roadies & someone doing a sound check for at least 45 mins.
I thought,"Cool,Elton will be here soon and I can say hi"!

Well,I got a bit too cocky and moved up some rows and then...someone saw me. "Excuse me,are you someone affiliated with the concert"?

Not good at spur of the moment acting,I just said this like it was a completely normal thing to do...."I'm just here to meet Elton since I can't attend tonight". :D LOL!

"Okay,guy,I'm sorry but you're going to have to leave now." Giving me the unspoken hint,either leave on your own or we'll have someone help you.

It may have been Saturday Night,but,I really didn't feel alright for fighting. :D
Old 04-03-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
That's right T.T. ! Including being known in the late 60's in England,Sir Elton has been in the biz going on 40 years (either this year or the next.)
I believe his carrer started as Reg Dwight by making the usually rubbishy el cheapo covers of current hits sold by UK Woolworths on their Winfield label. To be fair they actualy had one genuine hit of their own when somebody recorded a cover of an early Stevie Wonder hit that the careless main label omitted to issue under Stevie's name. For myself I think Elton has gone downhill as fast as his appearance has degenerated
originaly he looked almost sane
Tiny dancer video
and this one should be fun
Elton John - Your Song
04:23
A beautiful video of multiple performances of "Your Song" merged into one showing the various shapes, and sizes of Elton John

[ April 03, 2007, 17:02: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Borderstone

Don't forget,the concert is on the
"My (put your channel # here)45" network" tomorrow!

I'm not missin' it!